NEW: Direct Flights Between Phnom Penh and Ko Samui, Thailand

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: NEW: Direct Flights Between Phnom Penh and Ko Samui, Thailand

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:51 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:43 am I thought Bangkok Airways had a monopoly of flights into Koh Samui, or is that just from BKK?

Any direct flight from PP to somewhere fun in Thailand is a very welcome development.

It's not showing on SkyScanner but directly is is showing for the next 2 weeks only and costs $414 as opposed to $333 via BKK with Bangkok Airways.

At $100-$150 it might find some business but at $400+ it is competing with a lot more interesting places to visit.
you didn't add tax and charge Next week.....$216!! one way vs $119 to Phuket via Bangkok ( 4:45 minutes)

I used to always fly HKT-DMK- PP for $220-250 R/T took around 5 hours, enough time in Bangkok for a meal
many airlines fly to samui BUT the airport is owned by Bangkok airways, hence reason flights are expensive>
most people fly into Surat Thani an bus/ferry across and save hundreds of $$
$411 is the total for two flights including the taxes, they were about $153-$165 before taxes, on 7/6 to 14/6.

The fact that Bangkok Airways owns the airport pretty much guarantees that nobody will be going there and undercutting them. So, why would Cambodia Airways want to bother starting a route when they know that they will struggle to sell 2 x 1 hour flights for over $400? Why not try PP to Phuket? Samui is ok, but for $100 I can go to BKK and get a $5 bus to Pattaya.

That old Air Asia PP - Phuket for $100 looks wonderful value now. Maybe they will start it again one day.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:15 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:51 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:43 am I thought Bangkok Airways had a monopoly of flights into Koh Samui, or is that just from BKK?

Any direct flight from PP to somewhere fun in Thailand is a very welcome development.

It's not showing on SkyScanner but directly is is showing for the next 2 weeks only and costs $414 as opposed to $333 via BKK with Bangkok Airways.

At $100-$150 it might find some business but at $400+ it is competing with a lot more interesting places to visit.
you didn't add tax and charge Next week.....$216!! one way vs $119 to Phuket via Bangkok ( 4:45 minutes)

I used to always fly HKT-DMK- PP for $220-250 R/T took around 5 hours, enough time in Bangkok for a meal
many airlines fly to samui BUT the airport is owned by Bangkok airways, hence reason flights are expensive>
most people fly into Surat Thani an bus/ferry across and save hundreds of $$
$411 is the total for two flights including the taxes, they were about $153-$165 before taxes, on 7/6 to 14/6.

The fact that Bangkok Airways owns the airport pretty much guarantees that nobody will be going there and undercutting them. So, why would Cambodia Airways want to bother starting a route when they know that they will struggle to sell 2 x 1 hour flights for over $400? Why not try PP to Phuket? Samui is ok, but for $100 I can go to BKK and get a $5 bus to Pattaya.

That old Air Asia PP - Phuket for $100 looks wonderful value now. Maybe they will start it again one day.
Yes, so true what you have worked out on cost, but, and a big but, you are not middle-class Cambodian. :stir:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

For travel on July 5, a day when the cheapest available fares are on offer on all the flights I looked at:

The cost of the new direct flight PNH-USM (Samui) is $217.
The cost on PG (Bangkok Air) PNH-BKK-USM is $168 with a two hour layover in BKK.
PNH-BKK-URT (Surat Thani) on VZ (Vietjet), $86 plus $34 for one 15kg bag. Plus $20-25 for bus/boat travel from URT-Samui. So, $140 including a bag.

PNH-BKK-HKT on PG costs $148.
PNH-BKK-HKT on VZ $100 plus $34 for one 15 kg bag.

PNH-DMK - $65 on Air Asia plus $30 for one 30kg bag.
PNH-BKK - $71 on Cambodia Airways.

All fares one way. Return fares will be roughly double the one-way, possibly $10 less.

Yes, I am thinking of going.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I can't see how that route will be successful, seeing how difficult it is to fill up flights to Samui from pretty much anywhere.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic