Fortune teller.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Wkkep
Expatriate
Australia

Fortune teller.

Post by Wkkep »

I just watched a vid on FB about a fortune teller in PP.
Do you know of a traditional Khmer fortune teller in PP, SR or Kampot?
I recall reading about a Wat in PP (many years ago) where a fortune teller used sticks to read.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fortune teller.

Post by John Bingham »

There are loads of them on the riverside to the south of the shrines in front of the palace.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:47 pm There are loads of them on the riverside to the south of the shrines in front of the palace.
Also many on this CEO forum.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:06 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:47 pm There are loads of them on the riverside to the south of the shrines in front of the palace.
Also many on this CEO forum.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

You don't read a lot of headlines; "Fortune Teller Wins Lotto, Again."

They have been tested time and time again, and always come up frauds. They generalise and look for clues on you, and ask a question that could relate to 50+% of the target market.

My mother used to go, and they thought I was in Canada (wrong) and I was a twin, then it was there were 3 kids (2). There were return visits because she fluked a few easy ones, was vague, and the rest was somehow justified.

"Ah... You've travelled overseas?" :bow:
"You used to have a beard?" "I still have a beard" "Right. So, you used to have one as well, then"
"You, or someone close to you, are having a birthday soon..."
"Ah.. no"
"Hmmm...You had a birthday?"
"Not since September"
"Thought so. You're a Virgo, they are telling me"
"N..
"What's that? Libra"
"Yes"
"Oooh dear. No."
"What?"
"Oh look I have to stop now." "What?!" "You're time is up" "EH?" "What's the news?" "What's the budget?"

If you go to one of them, I will be a very accurate seer:
You have recently been ripped off.
You own a lot of bridges.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:42 pm You don't read a lot of headlines; "Fortune Teller Wins Lotto, Again."

They have been tested time and time again, and always come up frauds. They generalise and look for clues on you, and ask a question that could relate to 50+% of the target market.

My mother used to go, and they thought I was in Canada (wrong) and I was a twin, then it was there were 3 kids (2). There were return visits because she fluked a few easy ones, was vague, and the rest was somehow justified.

"Ah... You've travelled overseas?" :bow:
"You used to have a beard?" "I still have a beard" "Right. So, you used to have one as well, then"
"You, or someone close to you, are having a birthday soon..."
"Ah.. no"
"Hmmm...You had a birthday?"
"Not since September"
"Thought so. You're a Virgo, they are telling me"
"N..
"What's that? Libra"
"Yes"
"Oooh dear. No."
"What?"
"Oh look I have to stop now." "What?!" "You're time is up" "EH?" "What's the news?" "What's the budget?"

If you go to one of them, I will be a very accurate seer:
You have recently been ripped off.
You own a lot of bridges.
I was approached by one once, he said he'd prove he was genuine and if I wanted to pay for my fortune to be read then great, but if not that was ok too. So I thought what the hell.

He wrote some stuff on a piece of paper, folded it up and gave it to me. Then he asked me a series of questions which I answered - a number between 1-10, favourite colour, the middle name of a family member, can't remember what else he asked.

Then he asked me to read what he'd written on the paper and apologised about the middle name as he wasn't sure how to spell it. He'd got them all right, even the misspelt middle name. It blew me away, actually sort of shook me up to be honest.

I was drinking a beer and thinking about it later. The colour could have been a good guess based on what I was wearing, not sure how he got the other questions right but the middle name... that was what made me think WTF!

I've heard there's a trick to it, just like when you see a magician doing a trick,you have no idea how it works but nobody pretends it's anything other than a clever trick.

But still, how the hell did he do that?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I did one many many years ago and it was spookily accurate, most things predicted happened. Still skeptical but it was definitely weird....
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Random Dude wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:36 pm
I was approached by one once, he said he'd prove he was genuine and if I wanted to pay for my fortune to be read then great, but if not that was ok too. So I thought what the hell.

He wrote some stuff on a piece of paper, folded it up and gave it to me. Then he asked me a series of questions which I answered - a number between 1-10, favourite colour, the middle name of a family member, can't remember what else he asked.

Then he asked me to read what he'd written on the paper and apologised about the middle name as he wasn't sure how to spell it. He'd got them all right, even the misspelt middle name. It blew me away, actually sort of shook me up to be honest.

I was drinking a beer and thinking about it later. The colour could have been a good guess based on what I was wearing, not sure how he got the other questions right but the middle name... that was what made me think WTF!

I've heard there's a trick to it, just like when you see a magician doing a trick,you have no idea how it works but nobody pretends it's anything other than a clever trick.

But still, how the hell did he do that?
[/quote]

I used to do that trick. I can only do it in person (I need to get into your head). There's a reason why he spelt your middle name wrong. The colour was the only one he guessed. $100 gets you the full trick.

Here's a fun one: Tell someone if I write your full name on this paper, you buy me a beer, or whatever.

Agree, an reveal the paper with "Your full name" written on it.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:42 pm
They have been tested time and time again, and always come up frauds.
I agree most are frauds, but I had a reading kind of recently that totally shook me up that has me believing in something.

Don't know what it is but, here's how mine went and it was done for free (person actually approached me and offered for free, in English too).

I was described as

-Working as a writer (true)
-Left handed (true)
-My birthday down to the exact date, no year given.
-My relationship would suddenly end soon
-Birthday very close to partner's (off by one day)
-Name of the person ex would leave me for
-General physical description of him

Of course I didn't really think of it until 2 months later my partner of 13 years suddenly kicked me out of the house so a man of the same name that was forecast (pronunciation slightly off, but unmistakably similar) who matched the physical description and age could move in.

There's a few guys on here who know me in person who also know my ex who can vouch this really happened to me so...I don't know what it's actually about but, someone knew SOMETHING.

Fwiw
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

SlowJoe wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:34 pm There's a few guys on here who know me in person who also know my ex who can vouch this really happened to me so...I don't know what it's actually about but, someone knew SOMETHING.

Fwiw
Agreed. Someone knew something.

Good trick, though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic