Nanny/House Maid wanted in Phnom Penh

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Nanny/House Maid wanted in Phnom Penh

Post by AndyKK »

Kenr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:55 pm How many individuals on here made their living on “minimum wage” or would work for less than $1.00 per hour? I doubt any. Just because that’s what it is doesn’t make it right.

Cambodia does have a minimum wage, but only for certain groups of workers, the garment industry being one of them. For 2022 it’s $194 per month.
The first question you put forward of individuals made their living, should have been written how many survived on minimum wages.
The second quote that you make is of the minimum wagers in a garment factory, most of these industries are also foreign owned business.
Another example of minimum wage (Cambodian) is that of the cities rubbish collection, on the minimum of $130 per month.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

AndyKK wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:42 am
Kenr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:55 pm How many individuals on here made their living on “minimum wage” or would work for less than $1.00 per hour? I doubt any. Just because that’s what it is doesn’t make it right.

Cambodia does have a minimum wage, but only for certain groups of workers, the garment industry being one of them. For 2022 it’s $194 per month.
The first question you put forward of individuals made their living, should have been written how many survived on minimum wages.
The second quote that you make is of the minimum wagers in a garment factory, most of these industries are also foreign owned business.
Another example of minimum wage (Cambodian) is that of the cities rubbish collection, on the minimum of $130 per month.
My question and comments weren’t meant to be answered literally, I was expressing my personal feelings that just because individuals are paid an abysmal wage doesn’t mean they should be. For me personally, I could/would never fathom wanting someone to take care of me, much less an 8 month old child, for 60 hours a week for $300 per month. Again, that’s me personally.

As far as the minimum wage goes, the only industries that I found that were covered under Cambodias minimum wage law were for the garment, textile, footwear, travel goods, and bag industry. It didn’t list any other occupations. And I only made that comment because someone stated that Cambodia didn’t have a mandatory minimum wage and someone mentioned the garment industry.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I remember coming here in 2013 and the girls who usedto work for big mike in sharkys had 90 dollars a month if i remember correctly, it more then doubled in 6 years, thats not to bad, isn it ?? By the way, whats the minimum salary in the US ?? Compared with the cost of living, i think thats really shit also, no ?? I had a discussion with an Aussi guy somewhere in south-america, and about the wages in AUS, he laughed with Belgium. But after some discussion and doing some maths, we ended up like this: a waitress in a Aussi Bar compared with a waitress in a belgian bar. How many beers they serve temselves in their bar can they buy every hour from their wage ?? The Belgian girl won far away from the aussi girl. It al depends on the cost of living. The salary is just a "number", the maths behind decide whats good or bad, no ?? And of cours, i did the same maths with a Khmer girl, ans yes, she lost the game !!
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

To set the record straight, The Australian Minimum Wage is currently AUD$21-36 per hour and at this rate you are struggling to get staff/employees. So the de facto Australian Minimum hourly wage is now closer to AUD$27- 00.

Secondly, you get what you pay for and much the same applies in Cambodia.

OML
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Bongmab69 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:45 pm I remember coming here in 2013 and the girls who usedto work for big mike in sharkys had 90 dollars a month if i remember correctly, it more then doubled in 6 years, thats not to bad, isn it ?? By the way, whats the minimum salary in the US ?? Compared with the cost of living, i think thats really shit also, no ?? I had a discussion with an Aussi guy somewhere in south-america, and about the wages in AUS, he laughed with Belgium. But after some discussion and doing some maths, we ended up like this: a waitress in a Aussi Bar compared with a waitress in a belgian bar. How many beers they serve temselves in their bar can they buy every hour from their wage ?? The Belgian girl won far away from the aussi girl. It al depends on the cost of living. The salary is just a "number", the maths behind decide whats good or bad, no ?? And of cours, i did the same maths with a Khmer girl, ans yes, she lost the game !!
By that logic it would mean the cost of living with similar living conditions in Cambodia would need to be about 6.5x cheaper compared to the United States, which is not even close to being the case.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic