Uvalde Texas Mass Shooting

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Uvalde Texas Mass Shooting

Post by nemo »

Big pharma and their healthcare and insurance holdings, Big Oil, Wall Street and numerous other vampiric entities control USA absolutely.
NRA is tiny
The NRA occupies an interesting place in the debate about guns in the United States. It’s widely regarded as the most influential firearm-related group in the country, and it spends serious money (an estimated $250 million in 2020 alone), but its membership numbers are murky. Leadership has boasted for many years that the organization has around five million members, but investigations into its tax filings have indicated the total number of members hasn’t been so consistent and likely peaked around 2007.
https://katiecouric.com/news/politics-a ... m-the-nra/
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

nemo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:37 pm Big pharma and their healthcare and insurance holdings, Big Oil, Wall Street and numerous other vampiric entities control USA absolutely.
NRA is tiny
The NRA occupies an interesting place in the debate about guns in the United States. It’s widely regarded as the most influential firearm-related group in the country, and it spends serious money (an estimated $250 million in 2020 alone), but its membership numbers are murky. Leadership has boasted for many years that the organization has around five million members, but investigations into its tax filings have indicated the total number of members hasn’t been so consistent and likely peaked around 2007.
Excellent point.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 pm
orichá wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:52 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:09 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:48 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm

I like having testicles and testosterone, so that is a big NO from me.
A 3 year old girl could just as easily kill someone with a gun as your macho self.
I highly doubt it.
...more and more kids are shooting each other to death every year in America:

"So far, in 2021 there have been at least 259 unintentional shootings by children, resulting in 104 deaths and 168 injuries..."

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/10327253 ... h-children
Yup, saw the data. Since 2020, there has been a huge surge in homicide, traffic fatalities and other horrible violent shit.

Did something bad happen in 2020?
Record number of mass shootings
Gun Violence Archive statistics from 2020 shows that mass shootings surged by 47%
In 2020, the United States reported 611 mass shooting events that resulted in 513 deaths and 2,543 injuries.
Surge in mass killings = fear of government restriction of firearm sales= a surge in buying of said firearms for fear they wont be able to buy as many as they like in the future

This article on the other hand, attributes it partly to covid
The coronavirus pandemic may have ushered in a mass shooting epidemic according to a new report that marks 2020 as the worst year on record for mass shootings.

Mass shootings are typically defined as a gun incident with four or more victims.

Nearly all major U.S. cities saw an uptick in gun violence in 2020, particularly Midwestern cities like Chicago, Illinois, and Minneapolis, Minnesota — also the epicenter of anti-racism and anti-police brutality protests during the summer.

“The most dramatic increases in mass shootings last year were found in states with cities that boast large Black and Latino populations, groups that traditionally are disproportionately impacted by crime and gun violence as well as, more recently, COVID-19 cases and deaths, along with high unemployment rates driven by the pandemic,” USA Today said.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/us-had-a ... gs-in-2020
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri May 27, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

nemo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:37 pm Big pharma and their healthcare and insurance holdings, Big Oil, Wall Street and numerous other vampiric entities control USA absolutely.
NRA is tiny
You'd think someone would try draining the swamp.
leitfaden
Expatriate
Germany

Post by leitfaden »

Freightdog wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:03 pm
leitfaden wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 pm I live in acountry, where it's much more difficult to have a gun. And I don't miss it.

Nobody needs a gun in his life !

People dies from guns, because there are guns around.

No guns = no deaths from shooting.

.....It's so simple
Forgive me if I missed it. When was the last time that a sane, rational and stable person, legally in possession of a firearm, chose to go on a killing spree instead of down to the local range?

I’d hazard a guess that there are a great many hammers in the world, yet only occasionally is one featured in an assault.
They’re tools. Surely the problem is the person wielding it?

Very soon, the rationale will be to take away all the dangerous articles.
Hammers will be made of foam, and have very short handles.
Knives will be made of brittle plastic, with a 3cm blunt blade that has difficulty spreading soft butter.
Secateurs will have blunt blades that open to less than the diameter of a biro.
And the most dangerous pass-time that we’ll be allowed to partake in is growing daisies.

So protected, we shall be, from ourselves, that we won’t need to tell children to be careful of open flames as there won’t be any.

Meanwhile, the madman that was elected by a whole country next door is going to bring his toys into your yard. The problem is the madman, not the toys or tools.
I think they put the topic into perspective a bit. But I don't want to tell you what to think.

My comment was only, no weapons, then no shots injured. For me, it still makes a difference whether someone can go to a shop and buy an automatic gun and thus kill 20 people within a few minutes or whether he can go out with a hammer and kill only 2 or 3 people within the same time.

I don't find an explanation, why I need an AK-47 at home to .....to do what ? For me, this kind of things represent a risk, witch will not be, if it's not existing in my home. How many parents are shooted by their own children, because they found it and play with it ? just 2, 3 a year ? or 10 ? how many ever, it will not happen without guns, also if other people dies from other accidents at home.

Of course, the human being kills and not the weapon. However, an automatic gun just makes it easier to do more damage.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:13 pm This article on the other hand, attributes it partly to covid
Yup, it was the fault of "Covid". That explains it.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Less than 40% of Americans own guns. likely close to 30% as shown in my post above.
No other country has these events.
No other country has such easy access to firearms.

Simple.
NRA donations by Party
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

leitfaden wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:16 pm
I think they put the topic into perspective a bit. But I don't want to tell you what to think.

My comment was only, no weapons, then no shots injured. For me, it still makes a difference whether someone can go to a shop and buy an automatic gun and thus kill 20 people within a few minutes or whether he can go out with a hammer and kill only 2 or 3 people within the same time.

I don't find an explanation, why I need an AK-47 at home to .....to do what ? For me, this kind of things represent a risk, witch will not be, if it's not existing in my home. How many parents are shooted by their own children, because they found it and play with it ? just 2, 3 a year ? or 10 ? how many ever, it will not happen without guns, also if other people dies from other accidents at home.

Of course, the human being kills and not the weapon. However, an automatic gun just makes it easier to do more damage.
All that you are doing in the above is demonstrating why irresponsible, uncontrolled and undisciplined possession and use of firearms is a bad thing. It sort of argues the same issue, but with the variation that we’ll stop everyone from having access to firearms as a result of the minority, the crazy, the loon, the unstable.

Knife crime has been an issue, especially in certain city centres, in the UK for some time. There are laws about the sale of knives, especially to whom. By the above analogy, what they should do in the UK is ban all knives because of the minority problem.
But doesn’t it register? The problem still exists, irrespective of the tools available. It’s like treating a cancer with paracetamol for the pain. You’re treating the symptom, not the cause.

The US, I’d almost suggest especially some areas, except that it seems that these mass casualty events are spread nationwide, has an issue that a certain part of the population advocate having free access to weapons as if they were groceries.

Apples
Bananas
Milk
.556 ammo
Shotgun
Toothpaste

-this might constitute a normal shopping list for these idiots.

Children have been introduced to, encouraged to use, even have casual access to firearms. With tragic consequences. Repeatable, tragic consequences. Accidental shootings, or pent up angst (about what?) resulting in mass shootings.
It’s hard to fathom a nation that has grown up in such fear of this much anticipated boogeyman that they’ve lost the ability to learn.

We all (should be all) tell children not to touch the open fire, etc, and why. But the child Certainly learns the lesson if they do so and get burned. Yet, elements of US society is having a very hard time with this concept. I wonder sometimes if this is a sort of mass hysteria, and whether this is actually being foisted on impressionable people, stoking their own inner demons or whatever.

But if you think that the idea of finding a alternative weapon to inflict mayhem is a silly idea, terrorists found that vehicles could make useful mass casualty weapons, just by driving them into crowds.

Resolve the problem. The gun is ultimately an inanimate, inert object, albeit something which absolutely must be afforded appropriate respect.

So lock them away.
Don’t use them when pissed (a regular Cambodian news item, often directly involving the police)
Train their use properly.
Learn respect.
Facilitate their safe use and regulation.
Don’t give them to unhinged, unstable, immature customers.
Be a lot more critical of what types of firearms, and what quantities are appropriate.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

An example of irresponsible behaviour. Police AKs brought to the aircraft, recently. Two. With their ammunition in their magazines, taped to the weapons. The owners were busy taking selfies and posing for each other, so left these in the care of a ground handler.

These particular constables travel weekly, and are aware of the regulations, yet weekly choose to ignore them.
All this while we were on high alert due to recent terrorist activity in the area.

Don’t give weapons to stupid, arrogant people, because they are not sufficiently responsible for their own well-being, let alone anyone else’s.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Username Taken wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:15 pm
NRA is tiny
You'd think someone would try draining the swamp.
There was a guy, but he brought in the sewage.
Maybe next time feel the burn. Worth a shot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic