Nanny/House Maid wanted in Phnom Penh

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Nanny/House Maid wanted in Phnom Penh

Post by Kenr »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 am Sorry, I just had to play this.

I was thinking that maybe I'd get a maid
Find a place nearby for her to stay
Just someone to keep my house clean
Fix my meals and go away

Yeah. Paying someone $12 a day for 10 hours of work, I wouldn’t feel right. Maybe it’s the union part of me.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Yeah. Paying someone $12 a day for 10 hours of work, I wouldn’t feel right. Maybe it’s the union part of me.
[/quote]

Actually, about $230/month with housing and all meals is better than most of the 600,000 garment factory workers without having to ride in the back of a dump truck to work and back.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

cambo swa wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:20 am Yeah. Paying someone $12 a day for 10 hours of work, I wouldn’t feel right. Maybe it’s the union part of me.
Actually, about $230/month with housing and all meals is better than most of the 600,000 garment factory workers without having to ride in the back of a dump truck to work and back.
[/quote]

Garment workers go through terrible shit but they aren't being paid to take care of someone's precious child.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

cambo swa wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:20 am Yeah. Paying someone $12 a day for 10 hours of work, I wouldn’t feel right. Maybe it’s the union part of me.
[/quote]

Understandable. It’s just for me personally, I would feel guilty paying someone that amount for so much of their time.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:23 am
Garment workers go through terrible shit but they aren't being paid to take care of someone's precious child.
[/quote]

Sorry, and what is your point?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I wouldn't see that "housing" is included as a plus, because that way you're pretty much stuck in that household, and at their beck and call 24/7.

There might be agreed upon hours as outlined by the OP, but who knows how many "can you watch her for an hour while I go out to ..." situations might arise. Since vetting was already mentioned, this goes both ways, how does a poor prospective maid vet her employer prior to such a live-in arrangement?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

i dont know exactly at the moment, but i am pretty sure the usual wage at the moment is not at all 230 US even without housing. I spoke with girls in december and they were payed 150 US a month, working 6 days a week !! ?? Anyone has updated info abut that ??
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:39 pm i dont know exactly at the moment, but i am pretty sure the usual wage at the moment is not at all 230 US even without housing. I spoke with girls in december and they were payed 150 US a month, working 6 days a week !! ?? Anyone has updated info abut that ??
Because Cambodia does not have a minimum wage, there is no mandatory minimum rate of pay for workers in Cambodia. Pay rates must be agreed upon directly with the employer through collective bargaining or other means of negotiating a fair living wage.

https://www.minimum-wage.org/international/cambodia
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

AndyKK wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:00 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:39 pm i dont know exactly at the moment, but i am pretty sure the usual wage at the moment is not at all 230 US even without housing. I spoke with girls in december and they were payed 150 US a month, working 6 days a week !! ?? Anyone has updated info abut that ??
Because Cambodia does not have a minimum wage, there is no mandatory minimum rate of pay for workers in Cambodia. Pay rates must be agreed upon directly with the employer through collective bargaining or other means of negotiating a fair living wage.

https://www.minimum-wage.org/international/cambodia

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50921500/u ... -for-2022/
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

How many individuals on here made their living on “minimum wage” or would work for less than $1.00 per hour? I doubt any. Just because that’s what it is doesn’t make it right.

Cambodia does have a minimum wage, but only for certain groups of workers, the garment industry being one of them. For 2022 it’s $194 per month.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic