what wildlife are you seeing?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ToyoField
Tourist
Vietnam

Re: what wildlife are you seeing?

Post by ToyoField »

This is going back to 2005 when I was working in Prey Veng. I brought it to the temple across the street and paid the monks 50 bucks to do a "Snake Releasing Ceremony." Probably released into a cooking pot.
ImageImage
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Here in Kep

Ostrich
Monkey
Snake
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:23 am Here in Kep

Ostrich
Monkey
Snake
Photos please :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

How are ostriches "wildlife" outside of southern Africa?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Loads of snakes, rats, lizards, birds, frogs and spidey cunts

My dogs make sport of killing them, except the toads, they co-exist with the roads
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

ToyoField wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:24 am This is going back to 2005 when I was working in Prey Veng. I brought it to the temple across the street and paid the monks 50 bucks to do a "Snake Releasing Ceremony." Probably released into a cooking pot.
ImageImage
There is some kind of superstitious reluctance to kill pythons here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

nemo wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:42 pm
ToyoField wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:24 am This is going back to 2005 when I was working in Prey Veng. I brought it to the temple across the street and paid the monks 50 bucks to do a "Snake Releasing Ceremony." Probably released into a cooking pot.
ImageImage
There is some kind of superstitious reluctance to kill pythons here.
I think it may be overstated a little

I've seen pythons minced and fed to fish in fish farms
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

There’s a regular half dozen of these fellows on my back doorstep each evening, probably hoovering up the fallen flies and bugs that are trying to get to the light through the glass.
Possibly the most handsome toads I’ve ever seen, brought him inside to get a photo that would do him justice.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Small snake. A curious creature. Small, 30-40cm long, about 1/2 cm at the body, flat head, olive greenish colour.
The various kids here were curious, but a little cautious. I’d post a picture of it, but we ran into a problem.

One of the kids was going to antagonise it with a pointy stick, and while I was trying to discourage some of the impending stupidity, one of the super brave adults got a big fucking stick, and smashed the snake to death, and saved all the children from being killed. Apparently. Despite the snake doing as much as it could to stay away from people.
My gut feeling was the snake was actually quite content being in a shaded location until ape-man saved us all.
Now, it just looks like all the other road kill, but I’d like to know what it was.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:38 pm Loads of snakes, rats, lizards, birds, frogs and spidey cunts
Huntsman?

Long legged, fast as hell, and sometimes carrying a sack full of eggs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic