Nanny/House Maid wanted in Phnom Penh

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
pdaj
Tourist

Nanny/House Maid wanted in Phnom Penh

Post by pdaj »

DO YOU LIKE KIDS?

Do you want to take care of our kid? I am looking for a nanny/housemaid (light house work, like laundry, tiding kitchen). I live in downtown PP. I need you 6 days a week 0730AM-0530PM. My little girl is 8 months old and you should have experience in taking care of small kids.
I prefer if you live-in and stay with us and eat with us. If you are good, I will pay you 300USD per month, rent and food taken care of. If you are super good and also speak english, I will pay you up to 350 USD per month. You must be vaccinated for Covid-19 and also show me references I can check.

Reach out on messenger or via phone, telegram or Whatsapp 010 264 335
Anee
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Nanny/House Maid wanted in Phnom Penh

Post by rozzieoz »

I'm curious, what strategy will you use to screen applicants?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

This could become quite a hilarious thread. A job advert, written in English, with a bonus offered for an applicant who can actually speak English. If I had a super good spare maid locked away in my attic, I would be tempted to rent her out to the OP.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:01 pm I'm curious, what strategy will you use to screen applicants?
That's got to be a valid and positive attitude to take when you are thinking of employing someone to mainly look after your child, and also yourself and general housekeeping.
Alex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:31 pm This could become quite a hilarious thread. A job advert, written in English, with a bonus offered for an applicant who can actually speak English. If I had a super good spare maid locked away in my attic, I would be tempted to rent her out to the OP.
Roz has got a very good point about screening applicants! I would want to be able to check the past and ongoing employment of whom I was possibly going to employ, who is going to be a new fixture in my home.
I can agree with you Alex and see the funny side of this! Too start with what is the OP expecting for paying a wage of just short of $1.50 per hour, the good thing about it, may be is living in, with also food provide. Quote - and if you are super good and also speak English the OP will give a bonus of $50. Yes, it's a better wage then the factory workers may be getting down the road.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I watch a lot of true crime on YouTube, there is a LOT that can go wrong when you trust strangers with your children.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

AndyKK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:16 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:01 pm I'm curious, what strategy will you use to screen applicants?
That's got to be a valid and positive attitude to take when you are thinking of employing someone to mainly look after your child, and also yourself and general housekeeping.
Alex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:31 pm This could become quite a hilarious thread. A job advert, written in English, with a bonus offered for an applicant who can actually speak English. If I had a super good spare maid locked away in my attic, I would be tempted to rent her out to the OP.
Roz has got a very good point about screening applicants! I would want to be able to check the past and ongoing employment of whom I was possibly going to employ, who is going to be a new fixture in my home.
I can agree with you Alex and see the funny side of this! Too start with what is the OP expecting for paying a wage of just short of $1.50 per hour, the good thing about it, may be is living in, with also food provide. Quote - and if you are super good and also speak English the OP will give a bonus of $50. Yes, it's a better wage then the factory workers may be getting down the road.
Actually $300 per month at 60 hours per week would be less than $1.25 per hour. Me personally I don’t think I could live with myself paying someone to work 10 hours a day 6 days a week for less than $1.25 per hour, especially having to take care of a child, no matter how “good” of a wage it may be in that country.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kenr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:26 pm Actually $300 per month at 60 hours per week would be less than $1.25 per hour. Me personally I don’t think I could live with myself paying someone to work 10 hours a day 6 days a week for less than $1.25 per hour, especially having to take care of a child, no matter how “good” of a wage it may be in that country.
They do get room and board though, so basically if they are abusive to the child, the kid is trapped with them.
Great scenario.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

"Liking kids" is not the same as being trained in child care and early childhood development.
I like kids but when they start screaming uncontrollably, I get urges to throw things and lose my mind.
I really hope you hire someone who can control themselves under pressure.

But you're not going to know if they can until things get to that point and then you've just got to hope you made the right choice.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

There is a Facebook group called "Cambodia Parent Network" which you should try asking in, often has posts from "professional" families, Embassy staff families, etc. recommending their nannies, housekeepers, etc. when they get posted out of Cambodia. In particular, former Embassy family nannies are a safe(r) option, as they are vetted by the Embassy, but they also get paid more than the average.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Sorry, I just had to play this.

I was thinking that maybe I'd get a maid
Find a place nearby for her to stay
Just someone to keep my house clean
Fix my meals and go away

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic