British Expat Charged with Hammer Attack on Cambodian Woman

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British Expat Charged with Hammer Attack on Cambodian Woman

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:56 am
TWY wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:30 am Have to wonder how this guy is still in Cambodia. I highly doubt he paid the 20K in damages from his last encounter with the law.

Cambodian authorities could go through Siem Reap and remove about another 200-300 folks similar to this guy. Then they could go through and empty out all the NGO folks and you MIGHT be left with an decent expat community.

Couple nights ago we went to a birthday party and last night we attended a small wedding party and this was one of the topics being discussed at both. I think I'd summarize the conversations as folks are getting a bit tired of all the foreign smucks walking/driving around their town (I think they were excluding present company..... for the most part :) )
As a Brit, for me personally, it’s embarrassing to read/hear about reports of the antics of British football hooligans (thankfully way less of an occurrence than in previous decades) lager lout tourists and general lowlife’s such as the cunt under discussion in this topic.
For the record, these types are a tiny minority of Brits, but at times it doesn’t seem like it, as they get way more publicity than the huge majority of British folk who are decent, friendly and law abiding.
That tiny minority though, I’d have no qualms if they were fed through a wood chipper.
I agree with you totally about the embarrassment, this Brit has a certain behavior problem, from just reading the thread about him burning his rented room, now he has attacked a woman with a hammer.
The problem seems to be clear that the criminal activity is bought on via a possible drug habit, if that is the case, sentencing in the courts then locking up this person (deserves) is not the overall answer.
In my opinion this guy and many others (foreigners and Khmer) need the help from a professional body, drug rehabilitation and counselling services would help so many, but like many health care departments here, there is a shortage, and a large lack of experience from trained medical staff.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:18 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:56 am
TWY wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:30 am Have to wonder how this guy is still in Cambodia. I highly doubt he paid the 20K in damages from his last encounter with the law.

Cambodian authorities could go through Siem Reap and remove about another 200-300 folks similar to this guy. Then they could go through and empty out all the NGO folks and you MIGHT be left with an decent expat community.

Couple nights ago we went to a birthday party and last night we attended a small wedding party and this was one of the topics being discussed at both. I think I'd summarize the conversations as folks are getting a bit tired of all the foreign smucks walking/driving around their town (I think they were excluding present company..... for the most part :) )
As a Brit, for me personally, it’s embarrassing to read/hear about reports of the antics of British football hooligans (thankfully way less of an occurrence than in previous decades) lager lout tourists and general lowlife’s such as the cunt under discussion in this topic.
For the record, these types are a tiny minority of Brits, but at times it doesn’t seem like it, as they get way more publicity than the huge majority of British folk who are decent, friendly and law abiding.
That tiny minority though, I’d have no qualms if they were fed through a wood chipper.
I agree with you totally about the embarrassment, this Brit has a certain behavior problem, from just reading the thread about him burning his rented room, now he has attacked a woman with a hammer.
The problem seems to be clear that the criminal activity is bought on via a possible drug habit, if that is the case, sentencing in the courts then locking up this person (deserves) is not the overall answer.
In my opinion this guy and many others (foreigners and Khmer) need the help from a professional body, drug rehabilitation and counselling services would help so many, but like many health care departments here, there is a shortage, and a large lack of experience from trained medical staff.
I find it difficult to express anything other than contempt for the piece of human garbage in question, fuck him and his bad life choices.
Seperate offenses of arson and attempted murder (attacking a woman with a hammer cannot be regarded as anything less IMO) and who knows what else, pushing 60 years old, I reckon he’s past rehabilitating.
Any sympathy and the limited resources in this country should be directed towards his victims (I seriously doubt he’s worth anything in the way of being able to financially compensate them)
Thoughtful chap
Tourist
Australia

Post by Thoughtful chap »

The locals are right if they are discussing this as more than just the usual sorry escapade involving a drunken foreigner. Let's imagine for a moment what the the Murdoch media would make, in the English-speaking countries, of an incident involving a foreigner with a prior history of violent crime taking a hammer to a local woman's head. It would have political implications and be discussed on the floors of parliaments and Congress. If it happened during an election campaign, the repercussions would be significant and swift. Social media platforms and media pundits would be kept busy. Such is our fear of foreigners, especially those who don't look like us. We would do well to reflect on the patience of our hosts. Good day to you.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

It seems that his correct name is JON LEON LOVE.
https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/comp ... lr-limited
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic