Learning Khmer (Basic)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Learning Khmer (Basic)

Post by Anchor Moy »

Freightdog wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:03 pm Shameless thread resurrection- I’d apologise, but I’d be lying!

Are there any recent experiences with getting a Khmer tutor, for 1-1 casual sessions, that might be recommended?

I’ve made some enquiries with a few schools, both active teachers at regular schools, and a few aimed at resident Barangs, with next to nil success.

Reading/writing initially, and then comprehension.
Let's be clear - you are talking about finding someone in Phnom Penh, right ?
(Not everyone lives in PP. )
Think I saw on FB that there are some casual Khmer conversation classes in PP where people meet in a coffee shop. Otherwise, the PP Expats page might be the place to ask about a personal Khmer tutor and recommendations from other expats etc.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Yes, Phnom Penh. Periodically,Facebook and messenger get shut down for me, and I don’t use Facebook if I can help it, anyway.

Tiz evil
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:11 pm Yes, Phnom Penh. Periodically,Facebook and messenger get shut down for me, and I don’t use Facebook if I can help it, anyway.

Tiz evil
Forget the overpriced tutors offering their services online. Ask Mrs (ms?) Cargo to visit the nearest highschool and ask her to talk to the English teacher to discuss a program for you outside of class hours. He or she will be able to teach you the local lingo and you will support a teacher working in government school instead of a 'teacher' operating in the free market.

My 2 cents.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:52 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:11 pm Yes, Phnom Penh. Periodically,Facebook and messenger get shut down for me, and I don’t use Facebook if I can help it, anyway.

Tiz evil
Forget the overpriced tutors offering their services online. Ask Mrs (ms?) Cargo to visit the nearest highschool and ask her to talk to the English teacher to discuss a program for you outside of class hours. He or she will be able to teach you the local lingo and you will support a teacher working in government school instead of a 'teacher' operating in the free market.

My 2 cents.
In order to avoid WW3 with the one he refers to as SWMBO, he'd probably be better off asking Mrs Freightdog. :dragonchase:
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

If you are serious about learning Khmer, why do you not take yourself off to a special series of short, non-degree, courses at the Royal University of Phnom Penh intended for foreigners?

http://www.rupp.edu.kh/center/kf/?page=introduction

Best regards. OML
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I learned Khmer speaking (cant write or read it) mainly in bars wit a pen and a paper. Try to learn for every beer you drink 1 word (and remember it). And start with the essantials, numbers, greetings, left-right, and whatever you need in real live. And with 100 words you get far away in Phnom Penh. As most of the barangs here are native-english-speakers, they are not really known to be good in languages. With 100 words you are far ahead of most of them, trust me, i know what i am talking about. And listen very carefrully, i will only say this once !!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Many years ago when I wanted to learn a GF found a teacher. Then when at the beach I found my own at a school. Then started using a notebook and pen every day along with the Long Hair dictionary and got quite good. When we had the garage I learned Khmer for every car part. I surprised the wreckers every day. Then when building I learned every building term. Never been fluent but everyday things easy. Now living with the family in Australia for five years very lazy. I spend time fine tuning the kids English. Much more value in that.
I still remember a lot though and have more vocab than the 10 year old. She is better at Japanese.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:22 pm I learned Khmer speaking (cant write or read it) mainly in bars wit a pen and a paper. Try to learn for every beer you drink 1 word (and remember it). And start with the essantials, numbers, greetings, left-right, and whatever you need in real live. And with 100 words you get far away in Phnom Penh. As most of the barangs here are native-english-speakers, they are not really known to be good in languages. With 100 words you are far ahead of most of them, trust me, i know what i am talking about. And listen very carefrully, i will only say this once !!
Guess your Khmer slang is pretty good then :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic