Philippines - Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Taga
Tourist
France

Philippines - Cambodia

Post by Taga »

Hey guys

I've been living in the Philippines for more than 20 years. I went back to my home country shortly after Covid was unleashed.

I want to relocate to another country in SEA because I've had it with the Philippines. I know the Visayas like the back of my hand and I've lived in Leyte, Cebu, Negros, Bohol and Panay. I don't want to live in any part of Mindanao nor Luzon. So there's not much left for me to explore in the Philippines. Looking to YouTube videos of the places I've been don't even make me miss those places.

So anyway, I thought of Cambodia because I heard before that it's quite easy to get a visa. I stumbled on this great expat forum and I must say that I like what I've been reading so far regarding the latter.

Has anyone here lived in the Philippines before and now living in Cambodia? It would be nice to e-meet and hear what one has to say 8-)
It doesn’t matter “what” you know but “who” you know :wave:
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Philippines - Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I never lived in the Philippines before but have been living part time in Cambodia for the last 20 years. Have also spent significant time in Vietnam, Thailand and Myanmar during those years. I've also spent significant time working with Philippinos in the Middle East which was all a positive experience. However, the month I spent in the Philippines was a real mixed bag. 99% of the Philippinos I had any interactions with during that time were really cold and aloof . Not impressed whatsoever. On a side note, the expats I met there were definitely a cut above the Westerners I've met/known in Cambodia over the years.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Visa easier yes, but it sounds like you are one that enjoys the natural world a lot. Phnom Penh has the river for it's natural feature and really not much else.

Nature abounds in Cambodia's provinces but you might get a little bored too, who knows? You'll really have to check it out and see.

If nature and islands are still a big thing for you I would recommend Indonesia, visas are a pain sorta but it'll work out. Indo has lovely food, lovely people and they can be a sophisticated bunch - miles ahead of the nouveau riche and the bourgeoise that make the P.I. annoying to many.

I spent 6 mos. in the P.I. twenty years back and enjoyed it but often found myself eager to get back to Makati after going to the provinces. That was me then and maybe I have changed and things have changed in the P.I. too now. I was not at all impressed by Cebu then but I did get a kick out of speed ferries in the Visayan region and some manic circumventing of islands. Davao bored me to tears and I left before 30 hours passed. Baguio was also dreary for me. Angeles? Totally lame, but I also found Pattaya lame around that same period so I guess there are some who would disagree with me.

Khmer people are a harder read and any ideas or projections about them will only do you and them a disservice. You will do better if you do not compare Cambodia to any other place and just take it for what it is. In fact, all places are like that. Then, once you know something about the KOW or feel like you got it wired, drop that idea too. I find the culture here to really be out of my realm of things I need to know to thrive while at the same time it is important to respect it and know that is not yours. Your hosts will be happy to receive you and they have seen it all. Biggest tip I ever got from a guy I do not like here but it's totally true and works. When in doubt on how to act or how to proceed in Cambodia observe the Cambodian men and act like them. They are very cool operators and very seldom show any emotion publicly. Generally Cambodian men are eager to smile but if they are not don't take it personally and keep it cool just like them. If the men are not smiling it's none of your business why not and just keep your head down and you will be fine. I find these folks very fair, extremely forgiving yet they keep a scorecard.

With so many Filipinos abroad and working that country gets really annoying with their projections into western life and the arrogant attitude that @Cooldude noted would be intolerable to me too. American General MacArthur's famous, " I shall return" gets a lot of play but his departure comments were spot on and probably buried now but it was something like, "This is a nation of children that I will not miss.." paraphrase.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

My apologies for grammar problems, I am back in the States and wrote this at the library and ran out of time to proofread it before closing.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

You will be in for some surprises in the market. No good fish in Cambo and veggies are expensive and not so great. Pretty much any PH coastal town will beat PP. Housing could be cheaper right now due to Covid. In Phils you dont have expat crowds like in Siem Reap and Kampot,less so in PP, of the vegan/neo-colonial kind. What are evangelical sects in the Phils are NGOs in Cambo.
You might be better off in Surigao del Norte or Sud if you like the sea and dont need big cities.

Cambo might be too small for you as there are maybe 5-6 suitable locations. The big advantage are cheaper tickets in and out of BKK, easy travel in the region,cheaper visa, and no women pursuing you.
Taga
Tourist
France

Post by Taga »

@cooldude, @bossho and @pizzalover thanks for your input and my apologies for only getting back now
Taga
Tourist
France

Post by Taga »

bossho wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:46 am Visa easier yes, but it sounds like you are one that enjoys the natural world a lot. Phnom Penh has the river for it's natural feature and really not much else.

Nature abounds in Cambodia's provinces but you might get a little bored too, who knows? You'll really have to check it out and see.

If nature and islands are still a big thing for you I would recommend Indonesia, visas are a pain sorta but it'll work out. Indo has lovely food, lovely people and they can be a sophisticated bunch - miles ahead of the nouveau riche and the bourgeoise that make the P.I. annoying to many.

Haha it's funny you mention this and well said. Some Filipinos spoil their kids so much that they can't handle them. A popular beach resort in Mactan island has the following on it's website:

Friendly Reminder. We are not like other Filipinos. Plantation Bay is one of the very few hotels in the world that proactively and strictly defends our guests’ right to peace and quiet (don’t you wish airlines, airports, restaurants, and other public venues would do the same?)Audible electronics and prolonged tele-conversations are not permitted in our restaurants. Electronics are prohibited altogether inside the Spa, without exception. Parents with children are expected to ensure that they do not disturb others; and if you are unable to control your infants and children, you may be asked to leave a facility or even the hotel.If this seems “fascist” to you, please try another hotel. We WILL enforce these principles, because we firmly believe that the vast majority of our guests will have a much more enjoyable holiday if we do so. For every guest who argues that he should be free to disturb others as much as he likes, we have a hundred who are ecstatic that, finally, someone is willing to speak up against incivility and discourtesy. And that’s how we can have a resort that is family-friendly, couples-friendly, corporate-friendly, and singles-friendly, all at the same time.

https://plantationbay.com/frank-discussion/
Taga
Tourist
France

Post by Taga »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:06 am
Cambo might be too small for you as there are maybe 5-6 suitable locations. The big advantage are cheaper tickets in and out of BKK, easy travel in the region,cheaper visa, and no women pursuing you.
What are those 5-6 suitable locations you're thinking about?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic