Entering Vietnam on e-visa, May 2022

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Entering Vietnam on e-visa, May 2022

Post by crob »

AndyKK wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:11 pm
crob wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:53 pm Now in sapa, bus ride up here was nice but the weather here is fucked, feel like I've wasted my time coming up here as everything is clouded out, I can see why people would like this place, but I can see why the hippy types hate the main town, all the screaming from people drinking was giving me the shits earlier... also I kinder regret not booking a home stay as apart of a trek. That said no trekking company's replyed to my inquiries.
You're writing a good trip report, it does seem like Vietnam has suffered badly from the Covid-19. Do you think you may have gone a little too early? Also, how long until the country is back to normal?
Bit hard to say if I've came to early as I don't mind things being a bit more quiet in places like hoi an and sapa and whilst I like the night life, the recovery is getting harder n harder, so my all night drinking days are over and the party atmosphere being more subdued isn't a huge issue for me... That said I feel like da nang would have been a bit better if more was happening.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Spent today treking to some of the village's, it was nice and visibility imporved alot once we went down a bit... Spent half the time slipping on my ass whilst the local girl who was guiding me was walking easily with a baby on her back haha.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Heading back to Hanoi (almost there)... As I was leaving the weather cleared up and I could see everything I was missing :? .... Not sure what I think if sapa, I feel like there is something special there, but something felt off, i.e. akward amount of massage parlours, I would imagine it would have a very different vibe when the Chinese border is open... Non the less I'll consider returning one day, as I'd love to see it with better weather... Didn't think much of cat cat village, but the village I spent the day treking to was a great day... Also I think my fancy hotel didn't like they had a dduds who enjoyed playing in the mud walking though there fancy lobby.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Maybe, possibly, we may get some positive action on VN visas in the near future. It seems many people are having trouble getting even the pathetic 30-day visa from the government's online portal.

Tourism industry types complained of many trip cancellations. A report has been prepared by the Tourism Advisory Council for a government committee (Board IV). I'm trying to be optimistic and hoping the 90-day Tourist visa is reinstated.

As noted by Mr. Ha below, the sparsity of westerners was fairly obvious to me in Saigon and Vung Tau. Lots of domestic travellers though.

Published yesterday (May 25) by Vietnam Insider:

Headline: International visitors cancel tickets to Vietnam because of visa barriers
Identifying international visitors to Vietnam peaks near the end of the year, however, some travel businesses that welcome international tourists face difficulties when guests encounter visa barriers.

Mr. Pham Ha, CEO of Lux Group shared with Tien Phong that from the time of opening on March 15, this unit had to cancel 10 international delegations. “The guest had to cancel the trip because he couldn’t get a visa. Except for 13 international markets that are exempt from visas, many visitors in other markets have difficulty applying for visas,” said Mr. Ha.

After the COVID-19 pandemic, tourism experts have noticed a remarkable shift in both tourism trends and the visitor market. Mr. Pham Ha stated, after the pandemic, many new markets from the Americas and Eastern Europe had a need to travel to Vietnam, but there were problems with procedures. “Many Australian and New Zealand guests cannot get visas. Visitors from Sri Lanka also cannot get an e-visa”.

Visa procedures make it difficult for tourists, sometimes customers waiting for an e-visa for up to 12 days are not sure to receive it. “The fact that tourism is open, but the visa policy is not open yet, so international visitors to Vietnam are still sparse,” said Mr. Ha. Despite knowing that the peak season for international visitors must enter the bustling fourth quarter, the visa procedure is becoming one of the barriers to attracting international visitors.

Mr. Cao Tri Dung, Chairman of Da Nang Tourism Association reflected the trend of individual tourists traveling more after the pandemic instead of large groups. However, they have difficulty in doing visa procedures due to regulations on guarantees. International visitors who do electronic visa procedures have to wait for a long time without taking the initiative, making them forced to cancel their tickets to Vietnam. This is the reason why Vietnam’s tourism is less attractive and less competitive compared to other developed tourism countries in the region.

“We must have a policy in line with that trend, how to catch this stream of retail customers to avoid them having difficulty choosing to travel to another country,” suggested Mr. Cao Tri Dung.

Receiving feedback from a number of businesses, the Tourism Advisory Council recently held an online seminar to acknowledge and prepare a quick report to send to Board IV to propose to the Government.

Among the recommendations to attract international visitors, the Tourism Advisory Council put the visa issue as a top priority that needs to be improved: Expanding the list of visa exemptions for countries such as the US, India, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands…; Apply for multiple entry and exit visas and are valid for more days (30 days); E-visas and visas at the border need to be more convenient, reducing paperwork and procedures.
https://vietnaminsider.vn/international ... -barriers/
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

hahah,, thats not rocket-science !! How more complicated it is, how more people dont want to come. I am sure if north korea would welcome everybody visa-free, a lot of people wate to see Pyong Yang, i would also. I have been about 15 times in KOW but knever in VN exactly because of the visa. It used to be 75 dollar even for a quick weekend to Saigon, why would i do that. I hear now its already easier and cheaper then 4 years ago, probably i will give it a try as a visa-run this autumn, but if i can go for free to Thailand, and VN still needs money from me, its a hard decission for many people. As i have seen Thailand (Phuket) last year, probably i will give it a try for Vung Tau this year. But i know a lot think different about it.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:28 pmbut if i can go for free to Thailand, and VN still needs money from me, its a hard decission for many people.
LoL... I was Explaining this my guide last night when doing a street food tour.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Last night in Vietnam... Having a drink at 'in Saigon' rooftop sports bar after long walk ... did some motorcycle tours yesterday what was fun, wish I found this tour group when I was in Hanoi, as it was good value... Over all it has been a pretty good trip, will write up a proper breakdown when I'm back in Australia.
BraveMM1990
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BraveMM1990 »

I went to Vietnam after two months in Cambodia (May 2022) and honestly HATED it. I have been to Vietnam in 2009 so obviously a long time ago but I barely recognized the people. I know that Vietnamese were always very "different" to Khmer or Thais but the level of rudeness and hostility was too much for me. I noticed 4 serious altercations in only 4 weeks of staying there one of them getting very physical right outside my apartment in Dalat. I was only a bystander and they had nothing to do with me but still ... Very weird vibe.

It seems like the whole country is on edge. On my first visit in 2009 the southerners seemed very friendly but this seems to have disappeared completely. Didn't visit the north this time as I had bad experiences there on my first trip.

Makes you really appreciate Cambodia and especially Khmer people. Soo much nicer to be around, almost everyone is relaxed and friendly but not pushy. Not going to return anytime soon. I will also never fly again with Bamboo Airways. Their staff was absolutely awful from my experience especially on the ground in HCMC.

Edit: I visited HCMC, Dalat and Nha Trang. Just FYI.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

@BraveMM1990 Thanks for the report.

I really hated my one-night stays in HCMC early in May, which I transit through in order to use the fast ferry to Vung Tau. Motorcyclists' utter disregard for pedestrians on the sidewalks, shop entrances, driveways and intersections really hit me hard this time. It seemed worse, in fact. Could be I'm not as fast on my feet as I used to be. Or it really was worse than ever.

Walked from west of Nguyen Hue pedestrian mall all the way to past Hai Ba Trung. Due to a big football match (VN vs Malaysia), a band started playing at 5 pm on the mall at ear-splitting volume such that I had to keep my ears plugged for many blocks. Arrived at a Nordic restaurant that I was told by email was open, only to find out from the owner that they have no cook. This was after being told on arrival that the kitchen was functioning. Yet, some Viet customers(?) were eating. WTF?

If I return to VT, I'll be taking a limo straight from SGN Airport to VT.
It seems like the whole country is on edge.
I was feeling this too and it possibly might be blamed on coming out of hard times.

I got hit on by so many girls in Vung Tau, hit on really hard. I knew them all only from working in restaurants and bars over the years. These multiple incidents started to make me very uncomfortable as I got to expect many 'oh oh, here it comes" moments. Mind you, I was sometimes the only customer. Vung Tau was a very empty town. Background: I do not seek the company of bar girls any more but will certainly buy the odd drink. I just like to chat with friends, though many were missing and stuck back home.

As for "rudeness and hostility," can't say I've experienced this very much in southern Vietnam. The last time was a dozen years ago in Hanoi. Did not like the vibe there at all and haven't been back. Never been to Dalat or Nha Trang largely because they are heavily touristed destinations.

This past trip had a negative vibe to it, topped off by Vietjet leaving (a rather empty) SGN Airport late yet again. I almost always fly VN Air these days but they arrived in BKK in the evening so took VJ to get there after noon hour.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Here's another one of these Vietnam "proposal" stories, which I'm getting rather tired of. By the way, as I noted above, I was not asked for proof of insurance when I arrived at SGN a few weeks ago. Many other travellers reported the same lack of interest by immigration. Just passport and visa letter.

Headline: Tourism ministry proposes scrapping Covid travel insurance for foreign tourists
The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism is seeking feedback from other ministries on scrapping the travel insurance requirement for Covid-19 treatment for foreigners entering Vietnam.

It said the pandemic situation is under control and the cost of treatment is not as high as it used to be since most patients do not have to be hospitalized for long, and so it should no longer be necessary for tourists to buy insurance of at least US$10,000.

On March 15 the government allowed quarantine-free entry and resumed the visa waiver for citizens of 24 countries, including Japan, South Korea and some European ones.

It has also removed most other entry restrictions such as medical declaration and Covid tests.

In the first five months of this year the country received 365,000 foreign visitors, according to the General Statistics Office.
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/tou ... 72676.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic