Australian Elections

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Australian Elections

Post by crob »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:21 pm The aussies should burn the political class and install a benevolent dictator to rule for life

Some sort of semi reformed criminal would do a better job than anybody that the people could elect

Maybe Tim Sharkey (even though he's a kiwi lol)
Sharky for PM... I mean I like his anti corruption policy and approach... But then there's everything else... On the plus side he'll chuck a big chunk of money into research into a cure for the HIV
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:21 pm The aussies should burn the political class and install a benevolent dictator to rule for life

Some sort of semi reformed criminal would do a better job than anybody that the people could elect

Maybe Tim Sharkey (even though he's a kiwi lol)
We do have a benevolent dictator named Rupert Murdoch!
Sharkey is known as a pimp from Pattaya who likes wearing cowboy boots :?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Oh well a change of government , I was showing a few people clips of Albo and Scotty outside the polling booths , no teams of army guards with guns just a couple of security guards in the background , now that's a great country to be a citizen off even though they abandoned us expats in a pandemic.

They couldn't understand the concept of PMs being so unafraid. :beer3:

Cheers to all who voted.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

All I care about is the AUD to the USD and maybe some other currencies.
I don't know anything finance. I'm a little worried to tell you the truth. I don't know what affect his policies will have on the dollar. But we are currently sitting at 70 cents to the USD, so only time will tell. I want that AUD back up over 80 cents!.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Private Nuts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:43 pm All I care about is the AUD to the USD and maybe some other currencies.
I don't know anything finance. I'm a little worried to tell you the truth. I don't know what affect his policies will have on the dollar. But we are currently sitting at 70 cents to the USD, so only time will tell. I want that AUD back up over 80 cents!.
There's so much at play around curreny, but it's the Libs who often want it lower.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I doubt Scomo and his Lib team would realize that it was a vote AGAINST Scomo rather than a vote FOR Albo, Labour and their policies.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

They may just be stupid enough to make Dutton their next party leader.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Username Taken wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:14 am I doubt Scomo and his Lib team would realize that it was a vote AGAINST Scomo rather than a vote FOR Albo, Labour and their policies.
I disagree. Even if they don’t admit it, they know all those independent votes in nsw, vic and wa were because people wanted to send a message they don’t want either party, and they most definitely do not want Scotty. He knows it. That’s why in his final week he pleaded like an alcoholic partner finally being dumped “I can change”

The cry among different politically interested groups of society was to vote independent - those protesting the choices to close borders, ‘anti vaxxers’, women who can’t stand ScoMo, even those who wanted action on the climate. This drive to vote independent is what has stopped labor having a majority in parliament
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Private Nuts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:43 pm All I care about is the AUD to the USD and maybe some other currencies.
The AUD is largely a proxy for commodity prices. Labor has a record of bigger budget deficits and more debt so I would expect higher interest rates than would be otherwise.

I had to laugh last nite when I saw Frydenberg and Scomo patting themselves on the back for 'having one of the strongest economies and lowest unemployment coming out of covid'. There was no mention of that unspeakable...gov't debt or borrowing $$ to do it. They threw the kitchen sink and then some to achieve that imo. Then again, OZ had one of the lowest govt debt in the western world so they were actually able to do it by issuing govt bonds without raising too many red flags. Nevertheless, as interest rates rise with inflation, I fear the interest burden on that debt will bear heavily on the younger generation for a long time.

I'm not saying they shouldn't necessarily have done that to save jobs, businesses etc but it came with a cost that hardly ever got mentioned in the election narrative and made them look like good economic managers. And with very low interest rates it made sense. However, I think Albo has admitted that his govt's policies would involve a blowout of the budget.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Username Taken wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:14 am I doubt Scomo and his Lib team would realize that it was a vote AGAINST Scomo rather than a vote FOR Albo, Labour and their policies.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9Im3 ... hfNJ3yDSc-

It was great to see a church going religious man hug his wife and two daughters in his final speech and say how important family are, while not giving a shit about how much he has bought turmoil to the lives of another family and two young girls who were born in Australia.

I based my vote on how he ignored the hundred thousand plus Australians who signed a petition wanting them to stay.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic