Thai violence spreads after troops storm protest camp

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thai violence spreads after troops storm protest camp

Post by phuketrichard »

Got ya :-)

12 years ago,
yet Thailand recovered...
Rioting and fires swept through Bangkok today after Thai troops stormed the fortified encampment occupied by anti-government protesters, unleashing a wave of violence across the capital and other parts of the country.

At least five demonstrators and an Italian journalist were killed in the military operation, which met fierce resistance from the redshirts. Protesters set fire to buildings including the stock exchange and south-east Asia's second-biggest shopping mall and attacked newspaper offices and a television station.

The prime minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva, imposed a curfew in the city and 21 provinces across the country from 8pm to 6am ."All of this has one goal, to bring peace and prosperity back to the country," Abhisit said in a broadcast the government forced every Thai television channel to broadcast live.

The chaos erupted as soldiers advanced on demonstrators who had occupied the protest site in the centre of Bangkok for more than six weeks. Amid heavy fire from troops, armoured personnel carriers pushed through barricades of bamboo and tyres that the protesters had set on fire. Soldiers fired at fleeing protesters and shouted: "Come out and surrender or we'll kill you."

Protesters armed with assault rifles fired back at troops making their way north up Ratchadamri Road. Outnumbered and lacking firepower, the redshirts suffered serious casualties. Protest leaders offered to surrender as the soldiers surrounded them, but their supporters urged them to fight on, with many screaming and crying as gunfire rang out. Moments later, live television showed four redshirt leaders in police custody. An army spokesman said the protest site was under army control and the military had halted operations.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/ ... s-violence
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai violence spreads after troops storm protest camp

Post by sigmoid »

It depends on your definition of "recovered".

The same factions and same problems/conflicts are still around.

Similar events may transpire later this year.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

sigmoid wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm It depends on your definition of "recovered".

The same factions and same problems/conflicts are still around.

Similar events may transpire later this year.
I agree. If "Bangkok Burning" of 2010 is your benchmark, then yes, Thailand has "recovered". I was there and wouldn't like to see a repeat, that was very ugly.

But how many opportunities have been missed by Thailand's inept leadership ever since the 2006 coup? The economy is a disaster, and nothing has been done to make Thailand more competitive, so things will probably get even worse.

True recovery, to me anyway, would have meant getting Thailand's growth and development back on track. I'm still waiting for that, and it certainly won't happen with the current lot in charge.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Have they lifted the State of Emergency yet ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:40 pm Have they lifted the State of Emergency yet ?
Nope, let's see if they'll renew it for the umpteenth time at the end of this month... I'd guess yes, any excuse will do.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

12 years ago? Wasn't that the same time roughly as the occupy movement in the US? Any relation?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic