what wildlife are you seeing?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I encountered this little chap has I went too shower.

Hong Kong Whipping Frog - Polypedates megacephalus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypedates_megacephalus
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Re: what wildlife are you seeing?

Post by bossho »

That's way cool @AndyKK. You really do live on the "other side" I ain't never seen a purty frog like that.

Question: Had the frog showered? Your usage of English often baffles me and maybe some others. I understand you are from a funny part of England but, my dear brother, what gives with your sentence structure?

I am often accused of using bad grammar but using larger words and I don't know how to respond to the English that say that to me as they are not worthy of response. In any case, I often wonder about your posts, and after meeting you, I often understood what you said. The love is still there however and I mean no harm and thank you for all your contributions.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

We get a lot of frogs, lizards, skinks and snakes at home. Only come across one venomous snake so far thankfully, a white lip tree viper, quite often see a large Burmese python due to the back neighbours chickens I suspect, he's a beauty about 3m long, haven't got any decent photos unfortunately

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Last week I switched on the pump to get some water out of the well when a small snakehead reached for my hand. I am not particularly scared of snakes, but I don't want them in the house. Since I am not skilled enough to catch 'm alive and these tend to return to their comfortable place to stay I killed it.
After killing it I determined it as a 'bamboo snake', apparently a non venomous species preying on small lizards.

Anyway, at noon I discovered its' widow at the same place. Same fate unfortunately. As long as they stay in the garden undetected I won't bother them until chicken or eggs start disappearing.

Two nights ago while enjoying the cool evening my dog started barking in a way I had never heard before. Another snake, a grey / black one in this case, I think it was a neurotoxic Monocled Cobra. We tried to kill it but it was too strong and too fast and it escaped.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

That's a good-sized Burmese python, only seen one up to date here in Cambodia, I swerved a round it on highway 7.
I have encountered the venomous snakes, such as Cobra, Malaysian Pit Viper and Banded krait in the far north of the country mainly. I tend to keep at a fair distance between them and myself.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:37 am That's a good-sized Burmese python, only seen one up to date here in Cambodia, I swerved a round it on highway 7.
I have encountered the venomous snakes, such as Cobra, Malaysian Pit Viper and Banded krait in the far north of the country mainly. I tend to keep at a fair distance between them and myself.
I’ve had 3 Malaysian pit vipers in the garden here (each time found under stored timber) they’re the only snakes I’ve seen that didn’t dash off as soon as they were discovered, just flattened themselves and froze.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:10 am
AndyKK wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:37 am That's a good-sized Burmese python, only seen one up to date here in Cambodia, I swerved a round it on highway 7.
I’ve had 3 Malaysian pit vipers in the garden here (each time found under stored timber) they’re the only snakes I’ve seen that didn’t dash off as soon as they were discovered, just flattened themselves and froze.
It's a snake to be very careful with -

17 Very Dangerous Cambodia Snakes – Venomous and Deadly

There are 17 venomous snakes (some say poisonous, but the correct term is venomous) to watch out for in the country of Cambodia.

https://thailandsnakes.com/southeast-as ... dangerous/

https://sites.google.com/site/venomousd ... ous-snakes
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Not wildlife but natural wilderness of the Cardamom Mountains, from a very nice viewpoint a little further than Trapeang Rung just off highway 48 looking over in the direction of Pursat.
The forest looks full here, but there has been de-forestation over past years in the area.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

A little visual mixture of photos from around the Kingdom of Wonder -

Working Ox (highway 4)

Lotus seeds

Bananas and flower

Mangroves at Koh Kong

Sopheakmit Waterfall at Si Phan Don
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:25 am
17 Very Dangerous Cambodia Snakes – Venomous and Deadly

There are 17 venomous snakes (some say poisonous, but the correct term is venomous) to watch out for in the country of Cambodia.

https://thailandsnakes.com/southeast-as ... dangerous/
That list has three keelback (Rhabdophis) species on it. These are back-fanged and considered mildly venomous. They can also be poisonous. They shouldn't be included on a list of deadly snakes as there are very few cases of fatalities from this genus.
Rhabdophis is often thought of as completely harmless, but there are several cases of severe envenomation and at least one recorded fatality from the Japanese species. The symptoms have been compared to those of highly venomous African colubrids such as the Boomslang. Similar reports exist for other species of the genus, which also make reference to the highly hemorrhagic nature of the venom. There is a supposed antivenin in Japan, but not in other countries.

While the term "poisonous snake" is often incorrectly used for a wide variety of venomous snakes, some species of Rhabdophis are in fact poisonous but not venomous. Keelback snakes have salivary glands that secrete poison they ingest from eating poisonous toads. While both venom and poison are toxins, a venom requires direct delivery, for instance subcutaneously through a snake bite, but can be ingested without harm. A poison can also be absorbed indirectly, e.g., by touch or through the digestive system, or delivered by the fang of a poisonous snake. Rhabdophis ingest poisonous toads and the poison is absorbed into their blood stream, but the snake is immune to it. The toad poison now accumulates in their salivary glands which is secreted when they bite next time. Therefore, they use toad poison as their venom. Although this is harmful to small rodents, they cannot harm humans as the concentration of poison secreted is very low.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdophis
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic