English Teaching Job in PP

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: English Teaching Job in PP

Post by BleedingBlue »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:17 pm Teaching in this part of the world is a mostly easy gig that pays enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and save money every month.

Huh? If you rented a dump (and it will be a dump) for say $200 per month, that leaves $400 a week. Insurance, electricity, food, transport. Yeah livin' the dream. Jeez. You did mention no need to save, so that's a blessing.

If both of you are working, then it will be more than OK. One salary both of you though, would be tough yards.
We'll both be working. Out of the expenses you listed I anticipate electricity being the highest with my job providing insurance and food / transport being relatively cheap from what I've researched.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 am Teaching in this part of the world is a mostly easy gig that pays enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and save money every month.

However there are some downsides.

They are lack of teaching materials, poorly equipped classrooms and totally disinterested rich kid students but the biggest issue of all is in fact jumped up turd losers who have ended up in management out here and actually believe their own hype.

As a result they are totally unrealistic about what they want out of you as a teacher and will demand all sorts of nonsense while wallowing in their own self importance. So watch out for them. There seems to be one at every school.

Also with your qualifications I would recommend Vietnam. There are far more schools to work at, they pay more, Vietnam is cheaper than everywhere else in the region and there is more to do as well.

Good luck.
Thanks for the pointers. Will be moving to Vietnam next, just got to get all the documents in order.
reflexline
Expatriate

Post by reflexline »

I would caution against working at Westview/Learning Jungle. There are some posts on this forum from a former teacher as well as reviews on ISR that you should consider.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BleedingBlue wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:19 pm
We'll both be working. Out of the expenses you listed I anticipate electricity being the highest with my job providing insurance and food / transport being relatively cheap from what I've researched.
Insurance? What kind? Medivac? Local care?

Local food is relatively cheap, but certainly on the rise. You can have a more or less OK Western meal with a drink for 7-10$. Anything imported is pretty expensive and if you're used to European Lidl prices you will be in for a price shock here for everything except beers and strong booze.
Electricity will be the least of your worries if you find a place with non inflated prices where they just pass on the KWh price of 670 riel's to you. Most will try to charge you 1000r or more though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic