Lest We Forget - The Nuclear Threat and What It Means Today

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Lest We Forget - The Nuclear Threat and What It Means Today

Post by Anchor Moy »

Forgetting history can be dangerous.For me, those old cold war scare stories about possible nuclear bombs over our cities and "duck and cover" protection techniques were always a bit quaint and old-fashioned. But is the cold war and threat of nuclear bombs coming back to haunt a new generation ?
I am keeping an open mind right now. (Never thought that humans could be so stupid as to deliberately decimate life on Earth, but I've changed my mind.)

The long read.
Forgetting the apocalypse: why our nuclear fears faded – and why that’s dangerous
The horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki made the whole world afraid of the atomic bomb – even those who might launch one. Today that fear has mostly passed out of living memory, and with it we may have lost a crucial safeguard
by Daniel Immerwahr
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -dangerous

Report from after "the bomb" in Japan in 1946:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1946/08/31/hiroshima
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Lest We Forget - The Nuclear Threat and What It Means Today

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:18 pm
I am keeping an open mind right now. (Never thought that humans could be so stupid as to deliberately decimate life on Earth, but I've changed my mind.)

The world could do with a clearout of humans tbf - we are a nasty invasive species when one thinks about it - maybe M.A.D will be what might bring such a clearout to reality one day

Hopefully not; it's nice to be optimistic and plot a path through the future that doesn't involve human folly but I have my doubts
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

[/quote]

The world could do with a clearout of humans tbf - we are a nasty invasive species when one thinks about it - maybe M.A.D will be what might bring such a clearout to reality one day

Hopefully not; it's nice to be optimistic and plot a path through the future that doesn't involve human folly but I have my doubts
[/quote]

Maybe someone could invent a virus to try and wipe a heap of us out.....oh wait.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The problem with conflict is that the best people really show their best, and risk ending right there.

The problem with the concept of a programmed virus is that a committee would have to decide who warrants being on the naughty list. Who decides who is good enough to be able to decide who is bad enough.
Putin, Kim what’s his face, Stalin and Adolf all had people willing to give character references. Gandhi, Mandela and Obama all have(had) folk ready to condemn them.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

There is no need for nuclear bombs...we are on the path of destruction of our planet anyway.The humans wont survive another million years for sure. Just immagine a 2022 where every soul on the world consumes resources like an average american or european and do the math.

Maybe an easy transmittable, resistent bacteria causing infertility with man and woman could do the trick of reducing the number of humans naturally?
work is for people who cant find truffles
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

truffledog wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:37 pm There is no need for nuclear bombs...we are on the path of destruction of our planet anyway.The humans wont survive another million years for sure. Just immagine a 2022 where every soul on the world consumes resources like an average american or european and do the math.

Maybe an easy transmittable, resistent bacteria causing infertility with man and woman could do the trick of reducing the number of humans naturally?
Yes, the whole shit show will go up in flames eventually. Re consumption, nobody consumes quite like the Chinese.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Growing up in the Cold War era we were constantly informed and inadvertently terrorized about what the actual results of a nuclear war would be. Unfortunately in the following generations this idea seems to have been lost.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Most of those in charge during the Cold War served in World War 2., including nuclear weapons at the end. They saw how horrible a global war truly was, and worked hard to not let it reach that level.

Sadly, most of them have passed away, and the institutional fear on all sides is gone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic