Import duty on my own used computer?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Import duty on my own used computer?

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello
I own a business in the UK but live in PP. A few years ago I had a staff computer sent out to me and paid a hefty broker fee and taxes. Now that computer has died I want another one sent out. It's not a new computer, about three years old - do I still have to get a broker and pay import duty?

I've looked on Google but there's a lot of conflicting info - does anyone know the situation for sure?

Thank you in advance.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Import duty on my own used computer?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

There's an exemption for personal goods that you can qualify for by visiting the customs office in Vattanac Tower - must be done in advance of sending the item
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

I don't understand this, are there no computer shops in PP? Maybe, you just have one you like back home?

Anyway will be interesting to see what replies you get.

Not trying to hijack your thread sorry, but..

I will be bringing several computer components, a laptop and a couple of phones with me. Can anyone foresee dramas at the airport?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:35 pm There's an exemption for personal goods that you can qualify for by visiting the customs office in Vattanac Tower - must be done in advance of sending the item
Think Customs have now completed their move to their new primrose yellow tower block nearer the river. If valued under $300 then you should be able to use the small trade option for a 20% premium on duty/tax, bring it in on DHL or similar. Duty is 7% and then VAT is 10%. However, unless this computer has extra customised stuff on it then it may be cheaper just to buy new here.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Well, I think I should go to the new primrose yellow tower block, declining unpaid import tax. Next the tax man will want a cut of my overseas pension.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

roadman wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:44 pm

I will be bringing several computer components, a laptop and a couple of phones with me. Can anyone foresee dramas at the airport?
No, they won't bother with personal items in luggage
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bluenose wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:35 pm There's an exemption for personal goods that you can qualify for by visiting the customs office in Vattanac Tower - must be done in advance of sending the item
Think Customs have now completed their move to their new primrose yellow tower block nearer the river. If valued under $300 then you should be able to use the small trade option for a 20% premium on duty/tax, bring it in on DHL or similar. Duty is 7% and then VAT is 10%. However, unless this computer has extra customised stuff on it then it may be cheaper just to buy new here.
Good to know - not had to deal with them since 2019
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

AndyKK wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:05 pm Well, I think I should go to the new primrose yellow tower block, declining unpaid import tax. Next the tax man will want a cut of my overseas pension.
Credit where it's due, the top couple of floors were designed to represent the Colonial architecture of their original place on Norodom
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Jerry Atrick wrote:There's an exemption for personal goods that you can qualify for by visiting the customs office in Vattanac Tower - must be done in advance of sending the item
Doesn't have to be done in advance. I've received plenty of personal items with cargo shipping and went to get an exemption letter whilst the goods where waiting at the airport.

Also once ordered a MS surface pro from the states and got my pre paid tax returned by amazon (no idea why but it was $300+ so was happy with that suprise =) )
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

From the UK just post it using InterParcel (part of BP Post). Much cheaper than Royal Mail. Send it to the Post office in Street 13 near 100. Put your Cambodian phone number PROMINENTLY on the outside.

Wait 3 weeks and it'll turn up.

Tell them it is very old and is only for spares that you can't get here, and it is worth $40 only. Learn the Khmer word for "spares".
You' may get away with it or maybe they'll hit you up for $20 or so.

Either was it will be a lot cheaper than agents/fees/DHL etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic