Cambodians Report Online Shopping Scams

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodians Report Online Shopping Scams

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodians report scams in online shopping experiences
11 May 2022 4:26 PM
Try Thaney
In Cambodia, online shopping – typically on smartphones and tablets – is becoming increasingly popular due to its convenience. However, this presents significant issues for less technologically savvy buyers, who may be more vulnerable to scams, especially when shopping on social media.

On April 27, Ouk Chhaivan, a citizen in Chi Kreng District of Siem Reap province, was asked to transfer payment for the purchase of two battery-powered bicycles via the Wing Transfer Money agency.

The sellers told her that they had only 10 bicycles left, and that she would have to make payment by 3:30 p.m. the same day or she could not have the bicycles. She paid them accordingly.

“They said they will send me the bicycles after the transfer. From that day until now, I have not received the two bicycles. They have even blocked my Facebook account and I can no longer contact them by phone,” Chhaivan said.

She shared on her Facebook profile that she had been scammed, identifying the Facebook business page. She said that many people commented and criticized her, while some encouraged her to file the complaint to the relevant authorities.

Yuth Somaly, a citizen of Kampong Thom province, told CamboJA that she also likes to shop online because it helps her save time. She shops online at least monthly, and mostly buys items like books, clothes, bags, creams, and lotions.

However, she said she has been cheated of her money three times. She explained that sometimes, what she received did not match what she ordered or expected.

Sometimes the product was in the wrong size, for instance, and when she contacted the online sellers, they didn’t respond and she never heard back from them. Another time, after she had transferred money to the sellers for a purchase made via Facebook, the sellers blocked her on Facebook.

“As I have observed, the type of person who cheats is trying to get us to turn the money around quickly so that the goods will be delivered immediately,” Somaly said. “But finally the package does not arrive.”

When asked what recourse she has to her predicament, she said she could only rely on a relevant ministry or the Department of Crime to look into the matter. She had wanted to sue the seller, but she was unable to find out who to sue as she was blocked by the seller’s Facebook business page.

CamboJA contacted Chea Pov, director of the Anti Cyber Crime Department under the Ministry of Interior, but he declined to provide any information about cyber crimes in Cambodia.
CamboJA also contacted Chhay Kim Khoeun, the spokesperson of National Police, but he said such matters fall under the responsibility of the Anti Cyber Crime Department.
CamboJA was also unable to reach the spokesperson of the Interior Ministry, Khieu Sopheak.

Sovicheat, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Commerce, said that if any users are victims of online sales fraud, including the use of fake names or phony brands, they can make a complaint with the General Department of CCF, which comes under the Ministry of Commerce. He said the ministry has dealt with numerous such cases.

Chandararoth added that consumers can download the template for filing complaints on CCF’s website or go directly to each branch of CCF, and they can submit their complaints online or at the Ministry of Commerce and branches of the General Department in 25 provinces.https://cambojanews.com/cambodians-repo ... periences/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram