Cambodian-American Does a Shoe Throwing Protest

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian-American Does a Shoe Throwing Protest

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On the evening of 11 May 2022 (Washington, USA time), Samdech HE, Prime Minister of Cambodia was invited to meet with more than 2,000 Cambodians living in the United States and Canada.

While present at that occasion, a Cambodian-American threw shoes at the Prime Minister while he was speaking with people and posing for photos with supporters ahead of the ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. As a result, there is a lot of anger about this untoward incident.

Earlier in the day, H.E. Hun Many posted a message on his official Facebook page saying: “This action is absolutely unacceptable. All of us party members and the Cambodian people who support the CPP, cannot pardon nor alleviate the guilt of such extremists. We must remember and not forget their extremism. You also have to remember that those who deliver violence will receive it back.”

[ht][/ht]

Reminder: In the past, Cambodian authorities have treated shoe-throwing as a heinous crime :Woman hunted for throwing shoe at a poster
newsworthy/woman-hunted-for-throwing-sh ... 13208.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian-American Does a Shoe Throwing Protest

Post by John Bingham »

Again some Khmericans show themselves up by behaving like total morons. Scurrilous Pol Pot and Lon Nol supporters who are so out of touch they believe Hanoi still runs things. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

What if you throw say mint NIKE shoes? Is there a difference between that and say an old gumboot?

Asking for a friend.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

roadman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:20 am What if you throw say mint NIKE shoes? Is there a difference between that and say an old gumboot?

Asking for a friend.
No difference, a shoe is a shoe. In local beliefs the lower parts of the body ( as in feet) are considered to be the worst thing ever. She done fucked up. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

“… You also have to remember that those who deliver violence will receive it back.” ”

Was this an instruction to those in attendance to take matters into their own hands at some point, given the visitors have no authority to act over there?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

I'll keep my thongs on for this one.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

“… You also have to remember that those who deliver violence will receive it back.” ”

[/quote]

Does this apply the other way or is it only the normal one way street? :hattip:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

roadman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:06 am I'll keep my thongs on for this one.
Do you speak Aussie? Thong means something different in American. And please keep them on.

Back to the main topic. Does shoe throwing have some cultural significance to some people? (Doesn't seem very nice in any culture.)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Arget wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:34 am “… You also have to remember that those who deliver violence will receive it back.” ”

Does this apply the other way or is it only the normal one way street? :hattip:
[/quote]

I think when you're that powerful it's a one way street
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:23 am
roadman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:06 am I'll keep my thongs on for this one.
Do you speak Aussie? Thong means something different in American. And please keep them on.

Back to the main topic. Does shoe throwing have some cultural significance to some people? (Doesn't seem very nice in any culture.)

Good read here:

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2013 ... ying-shoes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic