What's happening in your life?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What's happening in your life?

Post by rozzieoz »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:39 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:25 pm
I've been contacted by the South African Broadcasting Corp (SABC) for an interview on Sunday, about international CVs.
If anyone is interested, the programme is FullView, on SABC NEWS - Sunday at 5.30pm South African time (10.30pm Cambodia time).
I'm interested , how much they paying you ?
What? Nobody is paying anyone anything.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:45 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:39 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:25 pm
I've been contacted by the South African Broadcasting Corp (SABC) for an interview on Sunday, about international CVs.
If anyone is interested, the programme is FullView, on SABC NEWS - Sunday at 5.30pm South African time (10.30pm Cambodia time).
I'm interested , how much they paying you ?
What? Nobody is paying anyone anything.

All us famous celebrities say that to avoid paying tax.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

OMG one hour to go. It will be live on Channel 404 on DSTV and they will send me a link to the video on YouTube, as soon as they have uploaded it.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I forgot to paste the link, lol.

tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

maybe elocution lessons would help :beer3:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:53 pm maybe elocution lessons would help :beer3:
For whom? The news reader? Be kind, she's South African ;)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Very excited! The SABC will be interviewing me again in a few weeks, this time about my book and writing your first CV. :)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

With barriers to travel coming down faster than a Wat Phnom freelancer’s underwear, it’s time to pack the metronidazole and hit the road again. But for the first time in forty years, that road has lost some of the allure it once had - for me at least.

Old age doesn’t come alone it’s said, and I wonder if my growing indifference toward traveling the region is born from the sense I’ve been there and done that! I don’t mean “been there” by way of three day benders on Koh San road, trying to knock out Phnom Penh bar owners, consoling sobbing transexuals in the back alleys in Kuta at four in the morning (although those days will be remembered fondly) or marveling at Angkor Wat’s classic perfection and the monumentality of its finely balanced components and the precise arrangement of its proportions. No, I mean “been there” in the sense Asia is starting to feel a bit like the west to me, the place I’m trying to leave, the place from which I need a little respite.

Of course, deftly executed street chow, the ubiquitous step-through scooter, Asian fatalism and much else isn't in danger of being swept from overcrowded Asian footpaths any time soon, but the increasing westernization of my favorite haunts has been going on for a while now and sadly appears to march on unimpeded. Initially it was ornate rustic home styles being ignored for the building of concrete boxes, then it was the swish of multinational logos appearing throughout my favorite places - and now (among many other things) it’s restaurants promoting raw vegan haggis sticks on a bed of cantaloupe stinky tofu leaves (or some other such nonsense) that has me complaining about the price of a new passport.

It’s probably more likely I’m just another expat dinosaur or traveling old trout who’s decided to start yelling at the kids to get off his hammock because the pretty young things don’t back up to me in the club like they used to. Regardless, I’ve got six months of aimlessly wandering around Asia approaching, and, well, I guess if I’m forced to admit it, there could be worse things one could complain about. Get off my hammock!!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:30 pm With barriers to travel coming down faster than a Wat Phnom freelancer’s underwear, it’s time to pack the metronidazole and hit the road again. But for the first time in forty years, that road has lost some of the allure it once had - for me at least.

Old age doesn’t come alone it’s said, and I wonder if my growing indifference toward traveling the region is born from the sense I’ve been there and done that! I don’t mean “been there” by way of three day benders on Koh San road, trying to knock out Phnom Penh bar owners, consoling sobbing transexuals in the back alleys in Kuta at four in the morning (although those days will be remembered fondly) or marveling at Angkor Wat’s classic perfection and the monumentality of its finely balanced components and the precise arrangement of its proportions. No, I mean “been there” in the sense Asia is starting to feel a bit like the west to me, the place I’m trying to leave, the place from which I need a little respite.

Of course, deftly executed street chow, the ubiquitous step-through scooter, Asian fatalism and much else isn't in danger of being swept from overcrowded Asian footpaths any time soon, but the increasing westernization of my favorite haunts has been going on for a while now and sadly appears to march on unimpeded. Initially it was ornate rustic home styles being ignored for the building of concrete boxes, then it was the swish of multinational logos appearing throughout my favorite places - and now (among many other things) it’s restaurants promoting raw vegan haggis sticks on a bed of cantaloupe stinky tofu leaves (or some other such nonsense) that has me complaining about the price of a new passport.

It’s probably more likely I’m just another expat dinosaur or traveling old trout who’s decided to start yelling at the kids to get off his hammock because the pretty young things don’t back up to me in the club like they used to. Regardless, I’ve got six months of aimlessly wandering around Asia approaching, and, well, I guess if I’m forced to admit it, there could be worse things one could complain about. Get off my hammock!!
Growing old, it does happen to the best of us, and I find more lately that the things I am trying to do take a little longer than what they may have done over the previous years.
The yearning to travel seems to be just that too, Covid19 played an ace in its game, for many, normal life and travel were knocked sideways, fact is travel became none existent or difficult for many. That alone may have played a big part in my own life, with my lifestyle, I suppose you may say more settled for at least the past two years or so. But I too don't know if being somewhere permanent is the answer for myself.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I had an Aunty who was an incredible classical musician, but also wrote country music. We always shared a passion for country music and she taught me to write songs. When she died a couple of years ago, she left her catalogue of original songs to me.
Next month, I will be recording a mini album of 3 of her songs and 2 of mine, at 60 Road Studio in Siem Reap.
I've got the Jumping Jacks (Greg, Joe and Sal) playing for me, and couldn't be more excited if I tried.

Stay tuned, Aunty Cathy & Me, coming soon :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic