Allegedly Certain Nationals Must Show $1000 Cash to Fly to Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CSS
Expatriate
Switzerland

Re: Allegedly Certain Nationals Must Show $1000 Cash to Fly to Cambodia

Post by CSS »

AndyKK wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:58 pm I thought that was normal said amount of money for all nationalities who were visiting Cambodia.
I've visted many many countries and I've never been asked to produce cash, let alone the sort of cash like that which might tempt some idiot to try to murder me for it. I try to carry much less.
:D :D :D
Cheers
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:24 pm

I wonder if Sri Lanka is on that list. ....., I wouldn't be surprised if Sri Lankans lost all rights to enter, even on T visas, like the Nigerians.
Sri Lankans have not been eligible for Visas on Arrival for several years, same as Nigerians, Iranians, Iraqis, Bangladeshis, Afghans, and a few others which I can't recall off the top of my head.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:14 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:24 pm

I wonder if Sri Lanka is on that list. ....., I wouldn't be surprised if Sri Lankans lost all rights to enter, even on T visas, like the Nigerians.
Sri Lankans have not been eligible for Visas on Arrival for several years, same as Nigerians, Iranians, Iraqis, Bangladeshis, Afghans, and a few others which I can't recall off the top of my head.
Makes me wonder what nationality those dudes that go hostess bar to hostess bar in Daun Penh with a bag of sexy clothes, displaying their wares to the working girls and trying to sell them. I figure they may be Indians or Pakistanis or Bangladeshis or Sri Lankans. Did they overstay their visas or somehow legally here?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:25 pm Makes me wonder what nationality those dudes that go hostess bar to hostess bar in Daun Penh with a bag of sexy clothes, displaying their wares to the working girls and trying to sell them. I figure they may be Indians or Pakistanis or Bangladeshis or Sri Lankans. Did they overstay their visas or somehow legally here?
All of the above, plus some Nepalese, these guys don't just sell their wares to the hostess bars, they're everywhere, even out in the small provincial villages. Every one I've spoken to is on several years overstay, and apparently they are constantly getting shook down by local Sangkat officials and/or police, those who don't pay often get arrested and handed over to Immigration.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Difficult life being a cloths salesman
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

AndyKK wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 pm Difficult life being a cloths salesman
Doesn't sound like it's an occupation the local khmers want to copy.. So there you go, they are filling a market niche.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Yea, just imagine if you were a screw salesman.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:19 pm

Yea, just imagine if you were a screw salesman.
Yong will tell you its a better occupation in Thailand :D
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
December 23, 2022
Ministry of Tourism clarifies tourists do not have to bring $1,000 or $2,000 to enter Kingdom
The Royal Government of Cambodia does not require tourists to show $1,000 to $2,000 upon entering the country, clarified the Ministry of Tourism.

This is according to the statement released by the ministry, which was received by local news yesterday.

The announcement comes after a number of airline employees asked tourists to show $1,000 or $2,000 in cash before boarding.

According to a statement from the Ministry of Tourism, “The Royal Government of Cambodia does not have a policy that requires tourists to bring $1,000 or $2,000 in cash to enter Cambodia.”

The statement added that the inquiries of tourists about the amount to take with them is the responsibility of the officials at the international gate, which should be done only in some cases.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501207239/ ... r-kingdom/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:11 pm The statement added that the inquiries of tourists about the amount to take with them is the responsibility of the officials at the international gate, which should be done only in some cases.
No change then, no clear policy. Officials can ask for an arbitrary amount, and if and when they do ask, you better have it - or else.

I can actually understand the airlines in this case. By being proactive about it, they hope to avoid having to fly rejected passengers back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic