The correct / formal way to address a Khmer (In English)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The correct / formal way to address a Khmer (In English)

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Any religion that believes there was a creator and some invisible thing can hear you moaning, has been proven so wrong, that scientists don't even mention the discrepancies. If religion wasn't so dangerous (ironically, evil), corrupt (tax-free), manipulative (stealing people's reality and 10% of earnings), criminally hypocritical (alter boys), fraudulent (scam), and irritating (the 4AM droning chant, like the whining kid in the back seat on a long trip - normal, sane people sleep at this time before going to work in a couple of hours, but don't worry, you carry on crazy), it would be the illegitamite uncle, nobody talks about.

I used to stay at a hotel owned by Pakastanis, and they were moaning some mornings, and my suggestion they could perhaps use sign language was met with a shrug, so I told them they should have taking up moaning earlier in life. Once the proud smiles were fully extended, I added, "You would have given up by now."

I used to call them the Talli Band. They liked me.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

All way too complicated. Call everyone "Bong" with a smile and get on with it, even when it isn't technically correct. :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Spigzy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:39 pm All way too complicated. Call everyone "Bong" with a smile and get on with it, even when it isn't technically correct. :-)
Yeah, I wondered about that with 'bong' being for an older person than you and 'on' for someone younger. Obviously, there's a grey area if ages are similar but do the khmers get annoyed if you get it wrong eg address a younger person as 'bong'? Then again, I would think khmers are pretty forgiving when it comes to barangs. Maybe address with 'brother' and 'sister' gets over that?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Spigzy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:39 pm All way too complicated. Call everyone "Bong" with a smile and get on with it, even when it isn't technically correct. :-)
I seem to recall a post about shallow relationships with Khmer.... :lol:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:30 pm
Yeah, I wondered about that with 'bong' being for an older person than you and 'on' for someone younger. Obviously, there's a grey area if ages are similar but do the khmers get annoyed if you get it wrong eg address a younger person as 'bong'? Then again, I would think khmers are pretty forgiving when it comes to barangs. Maybe address with 'brother' and 'sister' gets over that?
They’d probably get irritated if it was laziness/carelessness Khmer to Khmer, but I just smile, and the family, extended, close, and various friends seem to find it amusing when I use the wrong terms.

Like a Niece of SWMBO- I’ll respond Jah Bong, and everyone will giggle. (Or they’re calling me a fuckwit….)
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:30 pm
I think it's safer to go with bong if you're not sure than oun. Could be wrong but I think it's a little ruder. Although there's definitely more leeway for a foreigner.

I've been corrected before by family, but I think only in a friendly way (I went for ming, but should have been om)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Thanks for the tip, but I'd rather assimilate than be smiling after a bong all the time
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Hey, I'm a professional for 15 years and know my bong from my oun from my yey from my da - met the King, the big man and the et-jais! Just suggesting for n00bs to let it all fly with "bong" as a catch all & they'll soon learn the path!
:-D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic