Opening a Bank Account

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Opening a Bank Account

Post by techietraveller84 »

The banks want your money, so I doubt they would make it too hard.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

DankSinatra wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:39 am
aroimakmak wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:24 am My experience was about 6 years ago so things maYesy have changed, but I managed to set up an account easily with ABA, on just a tourist visa. Only needed my passport. They mentioned that a work permit/visa (can't quite remember the exact one) was required. When I said I didn't have one they immediately decided to turn a blind eye to that fact, and open the account.
KYC and CDD....I call bullshit.
Ok, let's have a look at the old scoreboard. Green light. He's telling the truth. You're outa here!

Things were a little easier, even as recently as 6 years ago, and it can depend on the staff.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

techietraveller84 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm The banks want your money, so I doubt they would make it too hard.
You'd think so wouldn't you?
post400656.html#p400656
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

techietraveller84 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm The banks want your money, so I doubt they would make it too hard.
How wrong can you get. No, the banks dont want your money, however they do want you as a customer. The big banks create their own money so there is no need for them to borrow piddly amounts of money off customers and that is why the interest rates offered on deposits is so low compared to the interest rates charged for loans.

Banks have the ability to create money the same as governments create money, it's just a number on a computer in the system which is offset by another number in the system.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:50 pm
Banks have the ability to create money the same as governments create money, it's just a number on a computer in the system which is offset by another number in the system.
Hmm, not sure that's true at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic