Repercussions of Man Walking out of bar without Paying

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Repercussions of Man Walking out of bar without Paying

Post by scott61 »

True account March 2022

It was mid-afternoon, off the plane a few hours ago, I found Helicopter open on 136; five girls, no customers and no air-con. I got a beer and played them all at pool. With more girls showing up, I must have played a dozen games, playing the gender fluid guy/gal twice. I was on a roll, nobody beat me, paying a dollar compensation a rack, and drinking beer after beer. I even played the man changing the kegs, the son of one of the old ladies, and a beggar with one arm selling books. I was exhausted and sweating cobs, when the owner/manager appeared. She beat me easily and everyone cheered. I staggered out and slept for 7 hours. When I looked in my wallet I realised I hadn't paid my tab.

I did the ethical thing, going in the evening to redress the situation. A bunch of girls dragged me into the bar and beat me up...er, only joking :) … no one knew what the fuck I was talking about. It was the evening shift and they couldn't give a monkeys. Had a few games, was half-hearted and lost them all. Even considered ringing the bell... but thought again, maybe next time.

Has anyone else been in, or seen, a similar situation?
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Repercussions of Man Walking out of bar without Paying

Post by IraHayes »

Similar, but mine was about being given too much change for my bill.

The first one I do believe is on here somewhere and I may search for it later but here they are:-

#1: Years ago when Costa Coffee had a place north of the night market actually on the river side. Next to the big restaurant. I went in for a coffee and a raisin roll and paid with a large note. Got my change and as is my habit, I folded the receipt with the notes and stuffed it into my wallet. On arriving back at my place I checked the fold and they had given me too much change. It was a lot more than it should have been. I went back and asked to speak to the manager about my bill as their was a problem with it. He had the look of " oh fck... here we go" all over his face. Anyway, once he realised I had come back to hand him back the extra money you could see the relief in his face lol. I did get a free coffee next time mind so alls good.

#2: Happened yesterday at the cafe that is next to the playpark at Wat Phnom. Paid for a coffee and 3 chocolate cake slices (the kids nearly didnt get theirs they were so nice!) and the bill was 37k reil. Paid with a 50k note and same as before went to sit outside and eat my cake. While I was sat there the kids wanted an ice cream from a vendor so I took the folded change & receipt and noticed there was 23k not 13k change from my drinks. Went back inside to "see the manager about a problem with my change" ... receipt in hand... and the staff had that same "oh here we go" look on their faces. I told them to see if they could spot the mistake. And handed them the change they gave me and the bill.... took em a good few minutes to spot the "error".
The look on the young ladies face when she realised I was correcting an over payment of change was worth it. so alls good.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

An Australian fella I was acquainted with a few years ago didn’t like to pay up- resulted in much misdirected pool cue swinging by the bouncers.

The upside of COVID is that he never came back
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gullible retards?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

I don't get it... Has anyone seen or heard of themselves doing the ethical thing and paying a bill, is that the question? I mean I'm sure lots of people will be happy to tell you about the times that they did, but really who gives a rat's arse? What is the gist of this post, is it just that you went back into a bar to pay a bill out of honesty? Or was it the fact that they forgot to charge you or something that was so noteworthy, or was it that you beat all the staff at pool?... I feel like I'm missing something.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Ya didn't miss anything the opp just letting us all know he can beat bar girls at pool.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

siliconlife wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:18 pm I don't get it... Has anyone seen or heard of themselves doing the ethical thing and paying a bill, is that the question? I mean I'm sure lots of people will be happy to tell you about the times that they did, but really who gives a rat's arse? What is the gist of this post, is it just that you went back into a bar to pay a bill out of honesty? Or was it the fact that they forgot to charge you or something that was so noteworthy, or was it that you beat all the staff at pool?... I feel like I'm missing something.
All of those things.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Yes but i stopped after a few games & refused my winnings (got a free beer out of it).
It was like taking candy from a baby!
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

atst wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:27 pm Ya didn't miss anything the opp just letting us all know he can beat bar girls at pool.
:D you got me!
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

siliconlife wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:18 pm I don't get it... Has anyone seen or heard of themselves doing the ethical thing and paying a bill, is that the question? I mean I'm sure lots of people will be happy to tell you about the times that they did, but really who gives a rat's arse? What is the gist of this post, is it just that you went back into a bar to pay a bill out of honesty? Or was it the fact that they forgot to charge you or something that was so noteworthy, or was it that you beat all the staff at pool?... I feel like I'm missing something.
Modesty prevented me saying that I also 7-balled the cashier. Where I come from if you have seven balls on the table when your opponent makes the black, you have to drop your duds as a punishment. I didn't insist on it (my ethicalness came out again), but it could have been the reason she didn't stop me from walking out without paying. In effect, I beat her twice!

More seriously though, this part of the forum seemed a little dead so I tried to perk it up with what I thought was a mildly interesting tongue-in-cheek anecdote. It provoked a bit of a discussion and if there was a point to my post that was it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic