Hilux Owner Rips Up $100 Accident Compensation (He wanted 50K)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Hilux Owner Rips Up $100 Accident Compensation (He wanted 50K)

Post by atst »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:01 pm Judging by the comments here I can only assume none of the posters has ever owned a pristine new car before, because if they had they’d know how pissed off you can be when it gets that first ‘ding’. It’s bad enough when it’s your fault let alone a third party, I can assure you at the time it can be really, really frustrating.
Demanding $50,000 was ridiculous but I suspect it was the car owner being sarcastic, knowing that no amount of compensation the average Moto riding Khmer could afford, would ever bring back that new car feeling.
The ‘how dare anyone have a new car!’ or ‘anyone driving a new vehicle should expect to just suck it up when it gets damaged by a third party’ mentality of some posters is baffling, are they hippies with the ‘all property is theft’ ideology or just haters?
I love how the car drivers should be insured to the hilt, while the Moto riders should just be excused any damage they cause because it’ll bring good Karma for their victims.
I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t feel the same about a similar incident in their home country, getting hit by an uninsured driver in the UK for example, the victim would be fucking livid, and rightly so.
Can agree with anything you said about posters or the guy and his new car, hes driving on the streets in Cambodia for gods sake he's bound to get a few scratches sooner or later.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've never really understood the customs tax rebate. I understand that they think it'll "spur the economy/help business", but all it really does in reality is add a bunch of large pickups in Phnom Penh and other larger provincial cities used as daily drivers, with one or two people in them on 3 meter wide streets. The import reduction should only apply to provincial home addresses, with strict enforcement (or as strict as Cambodia can get). The vast majority of them aren't used as business/farming workhorses, but for dropping off the kids at BELTEI or for the daily commute of heading to work alone in the truck.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

atst wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:59 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:01 pm Judging by the comments here I can only assume none of the posters has ever owned a pristine new car before, because if they had they’d know how pissed off you can be when it gets that first ‘ding’. It’s bad enough when it’s your fault let alone a third party, I can assure you at the time it can be really, really frustrating.
Demanding $50,000 was ridiculous but I suspect it was the car owner being sarcastic, knowing that no amount of compensation the average Moto riding Khmer could afford, would ever bring back that new car feeling.
The ‘how dare anyone have a new car!’ or ‘anyone driving a new vehicle should expect to just suck it up when it gets damaged by a third party’ mentality of some posters is baffling, are they hippies with the ‘all property is theft’ ideology or just haters?
I love how the car drivers should be insured to the hilt, while the Moto riders should just be excused any damage they cause because it’ll bring good Karma for their victims.
I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t feel the same about a similar incident in their home country, getting hit by an uninsured driver in the UK for example, the victim would be fucking livid, and rightly so.
Can agree with anything you said about posters or the guy and his new car, hes driving on the streets in Cambodia for gods sake he's bound to get a few scratches sooner or later.
And he’s entitled to be pissed when it happens, especially the first one.
And for what it’s worth, $100 won’t come close to paying for a replacement mirror, never mind installing it an repairing the damage to the door.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:40 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:22 am Can't the owners of these valuable cars......
The most expensive model is just over $50,000.

I wonder- is that the on-the-road price? It might be interesting to know whether the vehicle was even his. $50000 was outrageously high. Even $4000 is probably far more than justified. The chances of him encountering someone else with no insurance is pretty high. Having a new car is nice, but the accident risks are the same. Infuriating as it might be, the road and driving standards are not an unknown quantity.

This business of negotiating your own compensation, and involving the police in those proceedings (it seems they are often the on-site mediators) is nuts. But it’s the KoW way.

Slightly more important- why is no one properly attending to the rider? Fault or not?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Well we can see here an accident that caused much more damage and an agreement of $550 was made from one presumably financially OK Chinese Lady and a TV Star topic49601.html

which shows just how disproportionate this bullying little mans claims were. $100 probably represents half a months salary for the young girl. certainly the damage was not $50.000 or $4.000 which this guy claimed. totally unreasonable and clearly didn't need the money or he would have kept the $100 and accepted that was all the girl had, not sure why folks want to stick up for such a person.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:17 pm
Well we can see here an accident that caused much more damage and an agreement of $550 was made from one presumably financially OK Chinese Lady and a TV Star topic49601.html

which shows just how disproportionate this bullying little mans claims were. $100 probably represents half a months salary for the young girl. certainly the damage was not $50.000 or $4.000 which this guy claimed. totally unreasonable and clearly didn't need the money or he would have kept the $100 and accepted that was all the girl had, not sure why folks want to stick up for such a person.
It’s not about sticking up for him, it’s about understanding that he might be a little upset that his new vehicle, possibly his pride and joy that he worked long and hard for to pay for, has been damaged by an uninsured rider with insufficient funds to pay for repairs to the damage they caused.
But you know what, fuck him! it’ll teach the cunt to want to have nice things, is that better for you?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:44 pm
angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:17 pm

It’s not about sticking up for him, it’s about understanding that he might be a little upset that his new vehicle, possibly his pride and joy that he worked long and hard for to pay for, has been damaged by an uninsured rider with insufficient funds to pay for repairs to the damage they caused.
But you know what, fuck him! it’ll teach the cunt to want to have nice things, is that better for you?
As has been discussed very few are insured. but sure if this guy behaves like such a jerk perhaps he doesn't deserve nice things :beer3:
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Fully comprehensive insurance rarely covers the complete cost and the driver usually has to pay the first part of the cost. Usual kinds of numbers are $750 - $1000 that the driver has to pay, so even for a fully comprehensive insurance $100 would not cover the out of pocket costs of the driver.

The woman was wrong so she should have to pay for the cost of repair, not just what she could afford, no one seems to latch on to that point. Perhaps if she cannot afford insurance and/or the cost of any damage she may cause she should not be riding (to turn the arguments used against the driver back to the perpetrator of the problem)?

I can understand why the driver would be upset and tearing up the $100 was most likely a gesture he regrets but was aimed at indicating that he felt he was being insufficiently compensated. Body repair here generally consists of a lot of filler and a rattle can, so hardly back to factory spec. which is not nice on a car which is so new it didnt even have its plates yet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic