British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by tears_in_rain »

atst wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:00 pm
tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:42 pm I honestly think that it's safer just to take a woman from the bar rather than get involved with a local, who might have a borderline personality disorder. A lot of ex-pats are completely oblivious to the risks involved in starting up relationships with local women, especially when there are children involved. You are a guest in their country. Consequently, the local woman will always be believed without due process of law despite how dubious her character may be and how flimsy the evidence presented.
Many men in the world have the same opinion as you and you can't blame them, never getting involved with a woman again the risks are to high, sad sad state of affairs romance is being killed off.
Very true. Third-wave feminism has been exported from western countries around the rest of the world. I can't say that it's a positive thing. Of course, women's rights, and safety, should be protected. However, the pendulum has swung way too far the other way now. It's even more terrifying in third-world countries where the prison conditions are sub-human.

Any woman who has been proven to make up a false allegation should serve the equivalent prison time. This bloke's life has been destroyed over a fit of jealousy, which is despicable!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia (UPDATE)

Post by Kammekor »

tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:36 am

Typical. Bit late for this poor chap now. The risk of living in a third-world country without proper due process of law.

His wife should do at least two years for making up false allegations!
Typical? She's been lying, that's clear, but you nor me know if she lied back then, or she's lying now.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by atst »

What would be the equivalent prison time for someone who has been locked up as a known pedo?
Would have to be the worsted thing for an innocent person to go through.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia (UPDATE)

Post by siliconlife »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:23 pm

Typical. Bit late for this poor chap now. The risk of living in a third-world country without proper due process of law.

Typical? She's been lying, that's clear, but you nor me know if she lied back then, or she's lying now.
Can't know for sure, but common sense would tell us people are more likely to lie about someone else committing a crime than they are about themselves...
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:12 pm
atst wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:00 pm
tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:42 pm I honestly think that it's safer just to take a woman from the bar rather than get involved with a local, who might have a borderline personality disorder. A lot of ex-pats are completely oblivious to the risks involved in starting up relationships with local women, especially when there are children involved. You are a guest in their country. Consequently, the local woman will always be believed without due process of law despite how dubious her character may be and how flimsy the evidence presented.
Many men in the world have the same opinion as you and you can't blame them, never getting involved with a woman again the risks are to high, sad sad state of affairs romance is being killed off.
Very true. Third-wave feminism has been exported from western countries around the rest of the world. I can't say that it's a positive thing. Of course, women's rights, and safety, should be protected. However, the pendulum has swung way too far the other way now. It's even more terrifying in third-world countries where the prison conditions are sub-human.

Any woman who has been proven to make up a false allegation should serve the equivalent prison time. This bloke's life has been destroyed over a fit of jealousy, which is despicable!
I think the same. Let the cunt do a couple of years in prison for wasting the courts time, as well as ruining the guys life.
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

atst wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:18 am What would be the equivalent prison time for someone who has been locked up as a known pedo?
Would have to be the worsted thing for an innocent person to go through.
True. The damage has been done now.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Nothing less than a public flogging will do :whip:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:23 pm

As far as she's concerned, it makes no difference; she perjured either way.

As far as he's concerned, if she lied back then, he must have been in disbelief and I am sure he worked out pretty quick that she was in on it with the sister for the money, and she possibly knew family and friends would pitch in money. However, partners can be amazingly blind to the truth and will look for an option they would prefer and can be unshakable, regardless of how unrealistic it is.

Even if she hadn't testified initially, there was still the mad mother with the prepared daughters (they could easily break the kid, but it wouldn't be allowed to be overly forceful, in the west. But there's a man's life at sake, and that man has now gone forever). All they have to say is it happened, and from there it is up to him to prove it didn't - an almost impossibility - or discredit the mother, if that works in KoW. Another thing that a half decent lawyer would have done is set up the mother and kids and wife for a conflict in their stories. So, that wouldn't have been done.

The kid changed her story multiple times.

If she's (wifey) lying now, you can tie me down to an anthill and cover me in jam. It is of little consequence, really, as everyone - and I mean everyone - knows or figures he is innocent anyway and he will be a skeleton of his old self, and already beaten up.

All she has done is admit to a crime.

I wonder if he thinks of going somewhere quiet, where nobody knows him, after this. Trust won't come easy to him.

But, noone can hurt him any more.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Looks like his conviction was upheld, he lost his appeal.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Soriya wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:05 am Looks like his conviction was upheld, he lost his appeal.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501069818/ ... ce-upheld/

The details in this report are a bit more explicit than what I have read on this thread. There was also no mention of the wife's recanted evidence either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic