Pool tables in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Pool tables in Phnom Penh

Post by rozzieoz »

Bar Oz is a great spot to play and hang out.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

scott61 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 am
Username Taken wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:04 am
Kenr wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:24 am I take it by all these replies that they don’t have a pool hall in Phnom Penh like they do in Pattaya and Bangkok. I remember another thread about new business ideas, maybe?
There are pool halls around that cater to Khmer, though anyone can play. They usually have a lot of tables with nice young ladies to tend to your table.

Can't remember if they were pool or snooker.
As far as I know Khmer don't play snooker, but they certainly play pool and like you say, the pool halls are good and welcoming.
ive been to a few nice khmer snooker halls around Phnom Penh, have around 10 snooker tables and 3-4 pool tables, each table has a cute khmer server who keeps your scores and places the balls etc, great places to hang out with friends
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 am
scott61 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 am
Username Taken wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:04 am
Kenr wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:24 am I take it by all these replies that they don’t have a pool hall in Phnom Penh like they do in Pattaya and Bangkok. I remember another thread about new business ideas, maybe?
There are pool halls around that cater to Khmer, though anyone can play. They usually have a lot of tables with nice young ladies to tend to your table.

Can't remember if they were pool or snooker.
As far as I know Khmer don't play snooker, but they certainly play pool and like you say, the pool halls are good and welcoming.
ive been to a few nice khmer snooker halls around Phnom Penh, have around 10 snooker tables and 3-4 pool tables, each table has a cute khmer server who keeps your scores and places the balls etc, great places to hang out with friends
I didn't realise how popular snooker was in Cambodia. Apparently it has taken off exponentially in China too. I should get out more.☺
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Because pool is free and the beer is cheap, I spend most of my time (and money) in hostess bars. My modus operandi is to walk in to a bar and say, 'I'll buy a drink for anyone who can beat me at pool.' Because I grew up with a pool table at home, in these bars I only tend to lose when I foul on the black. I'm not hustling them for their time because I make it more ethical by paying a dollar if they lose. Of course I've come across girls who are better players than me, but they seem to have died off in the fludemic.

Here are a couple of girly type bars that I recommend for pool.

Golden Vine st 108 One well kept pool table. Good beer. Friendly atmosphere. Good pool table. Honest girls. The most well-known secret bar in PP.

Backstreet Bar No 14 street 308 (Bassac lane) is there is a decent pool table. Halloween night pic below.
I wrote a review on the bar on Google and gave it 4 stars. the owner commented that I should change it to to 5 as it hurts his business!

Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Some more:

Infinity st 136 no 43 (former name 'I get you bar...') 24 hour... played all the girls then accidentality left without paying. Went back to pay in evening... but no one there who remembered me. Night shift!

Boss Bar (104). Since the fludemic standards have dropped. But there a still a couple of strong players.

I'm sorry that Double-D (St. 110) is closed, had some great pool nights there. Advantaged by many contact fouls from opponents leaning over the table.

Island Bar (118) new place. Worth a look.

Yellow Bar st 136. Good bar and players. Pic below:

Baccara st 118, No one has a bad word about this place many beautiful ladies...forget the pool...
What an awesome bar. Owner and his wife are phenomenal… Atmosphere, vibe and friendly.. cannot praise it enough..
Someone wrote a review on Baccara that said, 'Everybody is so nice and dare I say it ethical.. you will not find a better bar in Phnom Penh.' Nice thing to say, but I wondered what they meant by 'ethical'!

Baccara bar

Black Pearl 79E0 Jayavarman 7 St.172 free pool – another good lady bar for pool

Lucky Girl Bar st 130, relaxed friendly.... typical bar with pool table (see picture)

Lucky Girl Bar

Shanghai St 172/51 corner. Always a very lively place. Upstairs where tables were is closed at the moment and no one seemed to know when they are going to re-open. Popular with ex-pats.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah baccara is one of my go to pool tables, some of the girls there are hard to beat :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:39 am yeah baccara is one of my go to pool tables, some of the girls there are hard to beat :D
Geez, I hope you're better at boxing than pool
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:58 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:39 am yeah baccara is one of my go to pool tables, some of the girls there are hard to beat :D
In my experience they are very good at letting you win without you noticing what's going on. As long as you keep buying them drinks they will continue to subtly massage your male 'I'm a winner' ego.

Offer them a $10 prize if they can beat you and you'll see what they're really capable of.

This is especially true of the beer/pool bars in Pattaya.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:03 pm
In my experience they are very good at letting you win without you noticing what's going on. As long as you keep buying them drinks they will continue to subtly massage your male 'I'm a winner' ego.

Offer them a $10 prize if they can beat you and you'll see what they're really capable of.

I only play if we bet, usually something like 5 or 10 if they win, and if I win, they have to run around the block naked.

Whatever is agreed, I say we play 3 games (prize each time). I let them win the first (can be difficult sometimes, others, it is deserved, and I have to put on my game face). Go for the win on the next 2, and hold out their 5 or 10 win, and claim my 2 wins. My award is often declined, so I say they forfeit their prize too.

I don't recommend this, as they often can not fathom the fact that if they don't don't pay, the bet's off. "Yes, but I win game, $5 (hand out)." "But, if you don't pay me, I can not win." These two statements are repeated. They get grumpy or sad. The latter always get the money out of me, because, in fairness, I knew the outcome before we started.

I try to be clever, when I should remember whose territory I'm in. :BangHead:
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:17 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:03 pm

I only play if we bet, usually something like 5 or 10 if they win, and if I win, they have to run around the block naked.

Whatever is agreed, I say we play 3 games (prize each time). I let them win the first (can be difficult sometimes, others, it is deserved, and I have to put on my game face). Go for the win on the next 2, and hold out their 5 or 10 win, and claim my 2 wins. My award is often declined, so I say they forfeit their prize too.

I don't recommend this, as they often can not fathom the fact that if they don't don't pay, the bet's off. "Yes, but I win game, $5 (hand out)." "But, if you don't pay me, I can not win." These two statements are repeated. They get grumpy or sad. The latter always get the money out of me, because, in fairness, I knew the outcome before we started.

I try to be clever, when I should remember whose territory I'm in. :BangHead:
with the strange "pool" rules applied in many dark bars with 5 to 6 foot tables (2shots and such shite, flukes allowed, english pub rules?) and the general conditions of tables&cues you can easily lose even if you are the much better player. Seen many hustlers go down with the resident bitch.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic