Camper project

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Camper project

Post by IraHayes »

Cooldude wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:24 pm You could run the fan and recharge your devices by carrying a 12 volt car battery and some adapters with you. Probably last forever until you'd have to charge it again.
portable solar to charge a decent battery?
The off-grid community might be quite helpful with some of your questions.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AndyKK wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:53 pm Camper project! Yes, my new project.
I remember having a discussion with members some years ago, when an NGO was trying to sell his 3-wheeler, I must have convinced myself that it may be a not half bad worthy project. I thought firstly about 4-wheels, but the initial expense, running costs and yearly road taxes of the vehicle just didn't cut it for my liking.
So, the cheaper alternative is the popular Chinese made 3-wheeler. I came across this -

2 years old, with paperwork, card and plate. 250cc all running gear replaced by new, also battery and electric's, with a now brand-new body fitted. Price $1600 with small guarantee.

I will build a metal frame arrangement to support the canvas on the body, still don't know where to get a good quality canvas. I prefer the canvas because it can be cut and then sewed to fit, rather than using an ever more popular plastic tarpaulin sheet.

The idea is I can carry the essentials, stove, pan's, water, ice box, bed and so on, thus having little restrictions on what I carry and where I stay on the longer journeys.
I have tested it on versus road surfaces for about 180km, all was good.
I've seen one of these trikes with a nice little prefabricated solar powered air conditioned insulated cabin mounted on the rear with extendable canopies mounted on three sides before - nice little job

This should be pretty cool
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am curious if you arrive at POIPET-border with a Carnet de passage and have to explain to the khmer customs you are on the road to London with it ??
I think he will scratch his hair at least a little bit, no ?? !!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:28 pm I am curious if you arrive at POIPET-border with a Carnet de passage and have to explain to the khmer customs you are on the road to London with it ??
as long as its in ur name. :beer3: Mi pen rai
carnet not used for thailand entry
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:43 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:28 pm I am curious if you arrive at POIPET-border with a Carnet de passage and have to explain to the khmer customs you are on the road to London with it ??
I had no intentions of leaving Cambodia with it at all, let's say that the Kingdom of Wonder has enough to see and preoccupy the mind, and vision. I have in the past traveled extensively in the country, from the far south to the far north, but there are two of the Provence's of Ratanakiri Province and Mondulkiri Province that I have never ventured too, and both boasting National Park's.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

In that case your camper may come in handy as it can be a long way between stops.
Great road's though.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

AndyKK wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:00 pm
I had no intentions of leaving Cambodia with it at all, let's say that the Kingdom of Wonder has enough to see and preoccupy the mind, and vision. I have in the past traveled extensively in the country, from the far south to the far north, but there are two of the Provence's of Ratanakiri Province and Mondulkiri Province that I have never ventured too, and both boasting National Park's.
IMHO it will be a complete new experience. You will be living a dream of mine.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

AndyKK wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:00 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:43 pm
[/quote

yesyes, its worth the trip,i went overthere on Christmas-day 2017 (i get overthere my first speeding-ticket, thats why i remember exactly the date). Nice lake in Banlung and nice waterfall of Bousraa in Mondulkiri. I remeber the boss from the garage who rented me an old Lexus, be carefull in the mountains overthere, a lot of accidents happen there. If you are use to drive to the high passes in the Pyrenees between france and spain with 50 tons gross weight, a Lexus in Mondulkiri is ofcourse a joke. But sure worth the trip, maybe check your brakes before going there, hahaha !!
oooh, yes, the speeding ticket was 30.000 riel if i remember good that time, doing 85 in stead of 60 . . .
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's been a while, but I'm back,

I set to work building a box section steel frame and then a full roof from front to back, I was disappointed from the outset and should have stopped building sooner. but again, I was more concerned about doing something with my hands and occupying time. But now realise I only have a one purpose vehicle. It dawned on me, you could say it was that of a little niggle in the back of my mind, I was recalling an old friend of mine who used to travel often overseas for his holiday’s, then he bought a purpose-built camper, when not going on his allowed holidays and some few weekends, his $70,000 camper van was parked up, deprecating in value.
What I started thinking about, was sure to be on the web, nice and easy and inexpensive, the bonus is that when not in use has a camper, I still have my 3-wheel pick-up.
So, what is the objective of the camper? To travel wherever and whenever you wish, in your own time scale. Somewhere to be comfortable out of the rainfall, to make your own meals, and stop where I would like and enjoy the surroundings that nature provides.
I do believe that now the objective has been achieved with very minimal work and cost being carried out.

I built a shade over the bike an made a fitted tarp for the body, keeping everything dry.

My initial idea to build a purpose-built camper soon changed, and I went to the camping shop and bought a few things.

The shop throw in a few freebies too. The cost was reasonable, and I have the choice to use with the 3-wheeler or the moto.

I have a few plastic boxes to store the gear, a cool box, stove, and pots and pans.

Ideal, I just need to find the time to go at some time :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:32 pm It's been a while, but I'm back,

I set to work building a box section steel frame and then a full roof from front to back, I was disappointed from the outset and should have stopped building sooner. but again, I was more concerned about doing something with my hands and occupying time. But now realise I only have a one purpose vehicle. It dawned on me, you could say it was that of a little niggle in the back of my mind, I was recalling an old friend of mine who used to travel often overseas for his holiday’s, then he bought a purpose-built camper, when not going on his allowed holidays and some few weekends, his $70,000 camper van was parked up, deprecating in value.
What I started thinking about, was sure to be on the web, nice and easy and inexpensive, the bonus is that when not in use has a camper, I still have my 3-wheel pick-up.
So, what is the objective of the camper? To travel wherever and whenever you wish, in your own time scale. Somewhere to be comfortable out of the rainfall, to make your own meals, and stop where I would like and enjoy the surroundings that nature provides.
I do believe that now the objective has been achieved with very minimal work and cost being carried out.

I built a shade over the bike an made a fitted tarp for the body, keeping everything dry.

My initial idea to build a purpose-built camper soon changed, and I went to the camping shop and bought a few things.

The shop throw in a few freebies too. The cost was reasonable, and I have the choice to use with the 3-wheeler or the moto.

I have a few plastic boxes to store the gear, a cool box, stove, and pots and pans.

Ideal, I just need to find the time to go at some time :facepalm:
I hope that overhead shade doesn’t generate too much lift when riding at high speed into a headwind, you’ll lose all drive and steering 😉
Joking aside, I’ll admit that your albeit perfectly functional solution, is slightly disappointing, as I was looking forward to following an interesting fabrication project.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic