Foreigners & Dogs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Foreigners & Dogs

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Been noticing a lot more foreigners (A LOT) walking dogs around lately. Are they handing them out at Pochentong when you land? Or is it simply the new 'cool' thing to do here?
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Foreigners & Dogs

Post by rozzieoz »

Very good security system.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What's new about having a dog?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:14 pm Been noticing a lot more foreigners (A LOT) walking dogs around lately. Are they handing them out at Pochentong when you land? Or is it simply the new 'cool' thing to do here?
TBH I've noticed the same thing..at least in the Daun Penh area. Is it because they are more noticeable with less tourists around compared to pre covid? Is it a hangover from covid? I was thinking of buying a big moto during covid out of boredom altho now that I'm travelling again, common sense prevails..might still do it one day tho. :mrgreen:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Everybody who has ever lived on Koh Rong has a dog. They seem to hand them out when you get off the boat over there.

I have dogs but they are free range and don't need taking for walks
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Four legged shitting machines, I hate how owners let thier dogs and I'll add cats, piss and shit in the stairways and laneways leading to your apartment. No not everyone likes standing in shit or smelling your pet's piss.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:33 pm Four legged shitting machines, I hate how owners let thier dogs and I'll add cats, piss and shit in the stairways and laneways leading to your apartment. No not everyone likes standing in shit or smelling your pet's piss.
Dogs in central cities are a pain in the @ss. So are cats. In the outskirts and countryside they're extremely useful tools to catch & deter.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

The humans have long kept canines as pets for companionship and protection going back to their caveman/troglodyte days. However, expats with dogs does seem a bit unusual and I have noticed an increase in this phenomenon in Vietnam as well.

What seems to be happening is that newer expats, more recent arrivals, aren't that interested in leaving their home country behind but instead have a desire to bring it all with them, basically to replicate their previous lifestyle in a new environment. They want gyms, lattes, burgers, burritos, yoga/dance/reiki/pilates classes, places to get tattoos and braids, mojitos, cooperative work spaces, outdoor festivals, chocolate easter bunnies, rechargeable batteries, netflix, etc.

To some degree, globalism makes this possible and facilitates their little dream.

Basically, they seem to be here for reasons that differ from those of the "normal" expats who want to seek out novel and exotic experiences more than create a comfort zone. Of course, we all need some degree of comfort zone in a foreign country but it's silly to take it too far.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

And than you read numerous posts on FB groups:when foreigners going back home and leave they pets here. " "Please adopt my puppy."...
Cant afford few hundreds $ to take their "so loved" ones back home. Selfish, heartless cheap charlies.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

sigmoid wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:38 pm The humans have long kept canines as pets for companionship and protection going back to their caveman/troglodyte days. However, expats with dogs does seem a bit unusual and I have noticed an increase in this phenomenon in Vietnam as well.

What seems to be happening is that newer expats, more recent arrivals, aren't that interested in leaving their home country behind but instead have a desire to bring it all with them, basically to replicate their previous lifestyle in a new environment. They want gyms, lattes, burgers, burritos, yoga/dance/reiki/pilates classes, places to get tattoos and braids, mojitos, cooperative work spaces, outdoor festivals, chocolate easter bunnies, rechargeable batteries, netflix, etc.

To some degree, globalism makes this possible and facilitates their little dream.

Basically, they seem to be here for reasons that differ from those of the "normal" expats who want to seek out novel and exotic experiences more than create a comfort zone. Of course, we all need some degree of comfort zone in a foreign country but it's silly to take it too far.
Ouch! I do like my pop-up toaster and steel belted radials.. :lol:

But seriously, as Chuck Borris posted, there does seem to be higher number of FB group posts re pets and ones like 'how can I transport my dog/cat to Cambodia from overseas' and in reverse.. However, it does seem worldwide trend. I saw this in Australian news recently: 'Pets allowed on Australian planes under new aviation laws - but there's a catch' https://www.9news.com.au/national/dogs- ... 00a2c7124f
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic