Will KOW allow none vaxxed travellers restriction free entry anytime soon?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Will KOW allow none vaxxed travellers restriction free entry anytime soon?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:24 am Yes, but not this year.

Assuming there isn't a more pathogenic variant, by 2023 most countries will quietly abandon all these rules. It has mutated to little more than a mild flu and nobody is buying the fear anymore. Maybe it will just go to a tick-box on the immigration form.

There is the issue of the anti-vaxers too. They had their views and stuck to their guns (no pun intended) and that debate is now moot. To continue to hamper their freedom of travel has no scientific validity and is more based on resentment and spite that they refused to do as they were told by their respective governments.
For some maybe. I got it about 2 months ago and having had the flu twice in my life I have a fair idea of what it's like. I would say my infection would rate as 'a full blown flu' in that I had very severe body aches and pains which required the strongest Paracetemol/Codeine 30mg tablets I could find and feeling weak for about 2 weeks after that. Same as when I got flu in my 30s. At the time I'd had 2 Sinovacs and an AZ booster. OTOH Mrs Cargo got it 1 week before me (and probably passed it to me) and she didn't get the aches/pains but she got a bad cough which I didn't get.

Anyway, wouldn't want to get that again anytime soon. And I think it probably means the vaxes did their job and prevented me from getting to a more serious situation. I know it's hard to be conclusive about these things but I agree with Apollo91881's view that the unvaxed may be/are more susceptible to serious illness. I recall reading reports in both WA and QLD, Australia saying there is a disproportionate (as in higher) number of patients in ICU who are unvaxed. And yes, there were earlier studies showing vaccinated were 50% less likely to get infected however that was pre Omicron.

I heard anecdotally someone who was unvaxed and an antivaxer say they got covid and it was nothing. Yet, I found out that they ended up on a course of antibiotics for Bronchitis..hardly 'nothing' and Bronchitis can just as quickly develop to Pneumonia.

Just adding some perspective.. I know I may be more risk averse than some in my maturing years but if it was me I wouldn't be in a hurry to lift the existing restrictions..but yeah, by 2023 seems likely.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

isn't there a "freeloader" thread recently? It's like paying for dinner and then the people who didn't pay get to eat as well for free. yes? no? maybe?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Sirhaden1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sirhaden1 »

Assuming there isn't a more pathogenic variant, by 2023 most countries will quietly abandon all these rules. It has mutated to little more than a mild flu and nobody is buying the fear anymore. Maybe it will just go to a tick-box on the immigration form.

There is the issue of the anti-vaxers too. They had their views and stuck to their guns (no pun intended) and that debate is now moot. To continue to hamper their freedom of travel has no scientific validity and is more based on resentment and spite that they refused to do as they were told by their respective governments.
Agreed. Though people unvaccinated to covid -19 should not automatically be labeled as antivaxx.
The first SEA country to open the boarders to unvaxxed will do well tourism wise and the others will follow suit.
That's why I'm headed to mexico.
Sirhaden1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sirhaden1 »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:48 am isn't there a "freeloader" thread recently? It's like paying for dinner and then the people who didn't pay get to eat as well for free. yes? no? maybe?
I don't understand your point.
Sirhaden1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sirhaden1 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:48 pm
Sirhaden1 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:12 pm
nemo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:28 pmNo
Why?
Why not? With over 90% of their potential tourists vaccinated why quit the window dressing of showing measures to protect the Cambodians?

If you want to visit anytime soon I guess you need your jabs.
90% of potential tourists are vaxxed? Where did this information come from?
Also the vaccine efficiency lessens over a few months too.
I think people will be fed up of receiving their 5th/6th/7th jab etc.. etc..
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Sirhaden1 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:03 am
BklynBoy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:48 am isn't there a "freeloader" thread recently? It's like paying for dinner and then the people who didn't pay get to eat as well for free. yes? no? maybe?
Maybe i misunderstood. I thought you were implying because most people got vaccinated-- that unvaccinated should not have to quarantine.
Vaccination my not stop transmission but offers protection-- I don't have energy to debate this already debated into the ground topic. If disagree then ok.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

If you want to fly you have to abide by the rules without complaining. When I returned from Thailand in March 2020, I already had a flight booked to Minnesota for July. After the mask mandate was implemented I didn’t go, hated wearing the mask. Still have a $492 credit with Delta which will be expiring in the near future, so probably going to lose out on that. But it’s all good, my choice.

People had a choice to be vaccinated or not to be, but there are rules in place for those two groups. If you want to travel, especially overseas, you have to abide by that countries rules. Only reason I haven’t taken a trip down to Mexico now is because I would need a negative test to get back into the United States, so it is what it is. So I’ll have to suck it up on the plane when I fly to Cambodia, but once I get there it should be all good.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

Sirhaden1 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:57 am

Agreed. Though people unvaccinated to covid -19 should not automatically be labeled as antivaxx.
The first SEA country to open the boarders to unvaxxed will do well tourism wise and the others will follow suit.
That's why I'm headed to mexico.
Bye. One less is always a cause for celebration.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Although ultimately it’s the government who decides on how to deal with this Covid situation, outside of the tourist industry, does anyone really believe the local people in countries like Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, or Vietnam want unvaccinated tourist in their country?
Sirhaden1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sirhaden1 »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:22 am
Sirhaden1 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:03 am
Maybe i misunderstood. I thought you were implying because most people got vaccinated-- that unvaccinated should not have to quarantine.
Vaccination my not stop transmission but offers protection-- I don't have energy to debate this already debated into the ground topic. If disagree then ok.
Yeah you were correct. I refused my free dinner for personal reasons. So I'll take my freeloading bank account to a country that doesn't require the vaxx.
Shame really as I have spent thousands on holidays in KOW over the last 10 years
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic