Insurance or GoFundMe?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Insurance or GoFundMe?

Post by Old8404 »

Kenr, Thank You for your comments. I have FEPblue and and sorta familiar with GMMT - send them my annual deductibles info. FEPblue lists both RPP and Calmette + some others) as authorized collaborators. Think I will make a special trip to RPP and Calmette both and talk to someone beyond the clerk at insurance desk re direct billing. Was told before "No problem..." That is when I knew I needed to follow-up and get definitive advise... I can appreciate RPP wanting some cash up front for testing etc but seems crazy to have to pay for a catastrophic hospital stay in advance and then get reimbursed from insurance someday. Any additional comments very much appreciated - I am sure by many...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

And this is why many don't get insurance, you don't know if you're actually insured until you make a claim and hope, as for emergency life threatening treatment in cases of an accident seems your medical insurance would be next to useless in the first few hours, and they will once again save having to pay for your medical bill because you'll be dead.
I personally don't carry a credit card around and it's nothing like $10K limit
I think I'll have a few drinks and try to forget this thread for today. :facepalm:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Old8404 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:50 am Kenr, Thank You for your comments. I have FEPblue and and sorta familiar with GMMT - send them my annual deductibles info. FEPblue lists both RPP and Calmette + some others) as authorized collaborators. Think I will make a special trip to RPP and Calmette both and talk to someone beyond the clerk at insurance desk re direct billing. Was told before "No problem..." That is when I knew I needed to follow-up and get definitive advise... I can appreciate RPP wanting some cash up front for testing etc but seems crazy to have to pay for a catastrophic hospital stay in advance and then get reimbursed from insurance someday. Any additional comments very much appreciated - I am sure by many...
I wonder if RPP do a pre-clearance. You go and register, prove your insurance details, your financial standing (i.e. money in the bank) so if the worst happens you are not starting from scratch with the clock ticking.

Sadly, I think they will just wait and watch you die while waiting for an insurance company to say yes.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:03 pm And this is why many don't get insurance, you don't know if you're actually insured until you make a claim and hope, as for emergency life threatening treatment in cases of an accident seems your medical insurance would be next to useless in the first few hours, and they will once again save having to pay for your medical bill because you'll be dead.
I personally don't carry a credit card around and it's nothing like $10K limit
I think I'll have a few drinks and try to forget this thread for today. :facepalm:
My premiums always bought me peace of mind, a little warm glow as the ABA app went "ping" because this month's premium had been taken.

This thread has made me think twice about that warm glow.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:12 pm
Old8404 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:50 am Kenr, Thank You for your comments. I have FEPblue and and sorta familiar with GMMT - send them my annual deductibles info. FEPblue lists both RPP and Calmette + some others) as authorized collaborators. Think I will make a special trip to RPP and Calmette both and talk to someone beyond the clerk at insurance desk re direct billing. Was told before "No problem..." That is when I knew I needed to follow-up and get definitive advise... I can appreciate RPP wanting some cash up front for testing etc but seems crazy to have to pay for a catastrophic hospital stay in advance and then get reimbursed from insurance someday. Any additional comments very much appreciated - I am sure by many...
I wonder if RPP do a pre-clearance. You go and register, prove your insurance details, your financial standing (i.e. money in the bank) so if the worst happens you are not starting from scratch with the clock ticking.

Sadly, I think they will just wait and watch you die while waiting for an insurance company to say yes.
But your most likely unconscious, would be interested if Rozzi could let us know what happened to the two who just had the accident when admitted to hospital, GoFundMe account wouldn't have been available.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

Post by tears_in_rain »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:08 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:21 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 pm Insurance is a big waste of money unless it’s life insurance and your beneficiary will definitely get it .
I got an extra wheel on my moto and haven’t had any injury road accident since that
Other insurance is wasteful unless you can make a claim and make it pay off .
How is medical/hospital insurance wasteful when this case shows otherwise?

If they'd had their own insurance, they wouldn't be needing Go FundMe..
I don't think it is helpful to pick on the fact folks don't have insurance after the event, especially one as serious as this. It does raise the general point though and I hope if anyone else regularly rides or has any potential health issues who don't have insurance maybe reconsider this.

I would agree it is never a waste. I realize some people would disagree but personally I spent over $1500 per year on insurance in Cambodia, never used it. Was told I had wasted it, I said the peace of mind was worth it and definitely not a waste. What I spent in 10 years would have cost the same as the first lot of treatment for these guys.

I had a friend work for an embassy and he would tell me the stories of folks who had no insurance and their families having to sell their houses for treatment as well as those who had insurance and something happens that cost $200,000+.

I recall there was a young guy a few years back who got dragged down 51 and ended up losing his leg and he posted that all operations, medivac to Bangkok then to Australia and it cost $150,000+ but had insurance. Never going to be a waste.

A moot point in this instance I wish them both a speedy recovery

I saw this horrible news story about a young guy (26) who was hit on the back of a moto in Bangkok. He became a quadriplegic - no travel insurance! So now he just lays there, in some shitty Thai hospital, in agony, 24 hours a day! Travel insurance is absolutely mandatory!
Last edited by tears_in_rain on Sun May 01, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Critical Care for Lee and Mel (GoFundMe)

Post by tears_in_rain »

This is the story.

A cautionary tale for young backpackers.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I think this thread should be top of the list for anyone working out the cost of their trip to Asia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos etc. Similarly if you choose to live here.

It's nothing other than a lack of personal responsibility if you don't factor it in. The cool kids are the ones who don't expect others to bail them out. No excuse.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
NitNoi
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by NitNoi »

I self insure. With a major problem I want a medical evacuation but I expect that an insurer would argue that local care was adequate.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

NitNoi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:52 am I self insure. With a major problem I want a medical evacuation but I expect that an insurer would argue that local care was adequate.
Good point. My insurance includes repatriation and that's good for their marketing. However, I think it's at the discretion of the insurance company's medical board whether they do so or not. Presumably they will be guided by the severity of your condition and associated hospital reports.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic