Insurance or GoFundMe?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Insurance or GoFundMe?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:04 am
Old8404 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:10 pm Using the insurance: Several years ago Royal Phnom Penh told me that in event of catastrophic illness / accident they can contact Blue Cross \ Blue Shield ( my insurance carrier) and bill directly. Last week was there with my wife and stopped by the insurance desk to reconfirm. "No" have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by insurance. Got the 50 yard blank stare when I replied that I usually do not have $20,000 - $30,000 available within minutes notice. Anyone have experience with direct BC / BS billing?
...RPP is where people assume to go vs calmette, many other hospitals have opened since those choices a good Chinese one on Koh Pich also I think one in the bridge. RPP are just thieves. I know a guy contracted a tropical disease ended up there, had the insurance but was rushed in by friends who found him and had to get the $10000 up front fee...
FWIW I recently asked Dr Scott where is the best hospital to go in the event of a serious accident or illness. He said RPP but admitted they are expensive and you need insurance. I said 'what about the Japanese one, Sunrise'...he replied 'all the Japanese doctors had gone back to Japan coz of covid'. He wasn't too positive about Central. Then you've got public hospitals like Calmette where relatives have to take care of you in the ward.

As I said FWIW, coz it's hard to base an opinion based on scant data and anecdotes. At the end of the day, I think members here would realise that if you're stable and require major treatment, you're better off going overseas eg Thailand or back to your home country.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Perhaps the mentality of feeling as though Cambodia is now your home plays a role, plus the idea of health/medical insurance being a foreign concept for many.
I wonder how many Cambodians who can afford it actually have health/medical insurance. Would the negativity toward immigrant westerners (as opposed to expats) also be directed to Cambodians who didn’t make the choice to have insurance?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:56 am
Old8404 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:10 pm Using the insurance: Several years ago Royal Phnom Penh told me that in event of catastrophic illness / accident they can contact Blue Cross \ Blue Shield ( my insurance carrier) and bill directly. Last week was there with my wife and stopped by the insurance desk to reconfirm. "No" have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by insurance. Got the 50 yard blank stare when I replied that I usually do not have $20,000 - $30,000 available within minutes notice. Anyone have experience with direct BC / BS billing?
...RPP is where people assume to go vs calmette, many other hospitals have opened since those choices a good Chinese one on Koh Pich also I think one in the bridge. RPP are just thieves. I know a guy contracted a tropical disease ended up there, had the insurance but was rushed in by friends who found him and had to get the $10000 up front fee...
FWIW I recently asked Dr Scott where is the best hospital to go in the event of a serious accident or illness. He said RPP but admitted they are expensive and you need insurance. I said 'what about the Japanese one, Sunrise'...he replied 'all the Japanese doctors had gone back to Japan coz of covid'. He wasn't too positive about Central. Then you've got public hospitals like Calmette where relatives have to take care of you in the ward.

As I said FWIW, coz it's hard to base an opinion based on scant data and anecdotes. At the end of the day, I think members here would realise that if you're stable and require major treatment, you're better off going overseas eg Thailand or back to your home country.
I am thinking it is time to ask my insurance company if they do 'direct pay' the RPP or any hospital in Phnom Penh. If they don't they just become a reimbursement game of chance and fail in their primary function, namely to ensure fast and limitless emergency medical attention without me having to do anything (like pulling up $10,000 within 5 minutes of being at the hospital reception)

I really don't want to lay out ten's of thousands of $'s in the hope that a large foreign bases company might pay me back. That is not peace of mind.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

If you have coverage with BCBS under FEPBlue, they aren’t actually your health care insurer you are dealing with while overseas, GMMI is. You first must make sure that you use a health care provider within the GMMI network and the doctor/hospital will do direct billing with them, minus any copays.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:45 am

I am thinking it is time to ask my insurance company if they do 'direct pay' the RPP or any hospital in Phnom Penh. If they don't they just become a reimbursement game of chance and fail in their primary function, namely to ensure fast and limitless emergency medical attention without me having to do anything (like pulling up $10,000 within 5 minutes of being at the hospital reception)

I really don't want to lay out ten's of thousands of $'s in the hope that a large foreign bases company might pay me back. That is not peace of mind.
That's the problem with all types of insurance companies. You don't really know what you get until you need them.

Years ago, I had a car insured for an 'agreed value' of 5K.
One day the car got stolen and trashed. I thought, 'no worries I've an agreed value of 5K that should get something half decent'.
They paid me $1800. And told me that the 5K was only if the car could be repaired. Not for a write off.
:evil:

Why do they make the fine print so small?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:02 am If you have coverage with BCBS under FEPBlue, they aren’t actually your health care insurer you are dealing with while overseas, GMMI is. You first must make sure that you use a health care provider within the GMMI network and the doctor/hospital will do direct billing with them, minus any copays.
I have a private insurance policy with Globality, a subsidiary of Munich Re, so one of the biggest insurers/re-insurers in the world. It was arranged through AG Cambodia. It was very easy to chose and sign up to. But all insurance contracts are all 'easy-in' when money in concerned.

I am writing to the agents today to start asking some questions.
Last edited by Doc67 on Sun May 01, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:42 am
Kenr wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:02 am If you have coverage with BCBS under FEPBlue, they aren’t actually your health care insurer you are dealing with while overseas, GMMI is. You first must make sure that you use a health care provider within the GMMI network and the doctor/hospital will do direct billing with them, minus any copays.
I have a private insurance policy with Globality, a subsidiary of Munich Re, so one of the biggest insurers/re-insurers in the world. It was arranged through AG Cambodia. It was very easy to chose and sign up to. But all insurance contracts are all 'easy-in' when money in concerned.

I am writing to the agents today to start asking some questions.
I can’t answer on how good or bad it is, I’ve never had to use it while overseas. But it is a good idea to contact who you are paying your premiums to, I contacted BCBS and they laid out what I needed to do and how to contact GMMI.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Wise idea. I too sought advice from AG Cambodia (broker) for my insurance company a while back.

I might quote relevant bits here:
In case of emergency hospitalization you should go to international hospital such as Royal Phnom Penh and show your insurance card , the hospital would know how to contact directly to [Insurance company] . In the meantime it is best to inform us by calling [AG Cambodia] so we can assist you and inform all parties to obtain the guarantee of payment.

....any emergency requires to inform [Insurance company] during admission only. You can contact us and we would contact [Insurance company] or show the card to the hospital who will contact [Insurance company] to receive the guarantee of payment.

In the meantime the guarantee is usually issued within a few hours following admission after [Insurance company] receives the medical report and quotation from hospitals, some hospitals would require a deposit at admission while awaiting for guarantee of payment so we advise to have a credit card in case the hospital requires a deposit.
So you can see that RPP MAY not want to send a medical report and wait seeking a guarantee of payment from the [Insurance company] UNTIL a deposit covering interim treatment is secured.

Also, what I don't know is: will RPP just secure a 'hold fee' on your credit card for the deposit or actually charge some nominal amount, say $10K which you would then have to seek reimbursement from them later. I hope it's the former so that when the insurance says OK, RPP take the hold off your card.

So I think the issue here is not so much the insurance company but the relevant hospital's policy on this.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:50 am

Wise idea. I too sought advice from AG Cambodia (broker) for my insurance company a while back.

In case of emergency hospitalization you should go to international hospital such as Royal Phnom Penh and show your insurance card , the hospital would know how to contact directly to [Insurance company] . In the meantime it is best to inform us by calling [AG Cambodia] so we can assist you and inform all parties to obtain the guarantee of payment.

....any emergency requires to inform [Insurance company] during admission only. You can contact us and we would contact [Insurance company] or show the card to the hospital who will contact [Insurance company] to receive the guarantee of payment.

In the meantime the guarantee is usually issued within a few hours following admission after [Insurance company] receives the medical report and quotation from hospitals, some hospitals would require a deposit at admission while awaiting for guarantee of payment so we advise to have a credit card in case the hospital requires a deposit.
So you can see that RPP MAY not want to send a medical report and wait seeking a guarantee of payment from the [Insurance company] UNTIL a deposit covering interim treatment is secured.

Also, what I don't know is: will RPP just secure a 'hold fee' on your credit card for the deposit or actually charge some nominal amount, say $10K which you would then have to seek reimbursement from them later. I hope it's the former so that when the insurance says OK, RPP take the hold off your card.

So I think the issue here is not so much the insurance company but the relevant hospital's policy on this.
so we advise to have a credit card in case the hospital requires a deposit.

I never carry a credit card. I could only send them money from ABA, as long as I am conscious. If not, what happens then?

In the meantime the guarantee is usually issued within a few hours following admission after [Insurance company] receives the medical report and quotation from hospitals,

This is exactly what I am concerned about. . You have to wait for the hospital to issue a medical report, i.e. diagnosis; condition, treatment plan and a quotation and then wait for an additional "a few hours" to hopefully get a guarantee? In the case of a heart attack or stroke, you haven't got that time to waste.

How can they diagnose without tests? All that costs money. And what if the insurance company starts baulking about the quotation? Given RPP's reputation this is not an unrealistic possibility.

....any emergency requires to inform [Insurance company] during admission only.

What if you are unconscious? How do you inform them then? Will they refuse the entire claim if you don't inform them at the time of admission?

This is no place to grow old.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:10 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:50 am

so we advise to have a credit card in case the hospital requires a deposit.

I never carry a credit card. I could only send them money from ABA, as long as I am conscious. If not, what happens then?

In the meantime the guarantee is usually issued within a few hours following admission after [Insurance company] receives the medical report and quotation from hospitals,

This is exactly what I am concerned about. . You have to wait for the hospital to issue a medical report, i.e. diagnosis; condition, treatment plan and a quotation and then wait for an additional "a few hours" to hopefully get a guarantee? In the case of a heart attack or stroke, you haven't got that time to waste.

How can they diagnose without tests? All that costs money. And what if the insurance company starts baulking about the quotation? Given RPP's reputation this is not an unrealistic possibility.

....any emergency requires to inform [Insurance company] during admission only.

What if you are unconscious? How do you inform them then? Will they refuse the entire claim if you don't inform them at the time of admission?

This is no place to grow old.
I totally agree and it's potentially problematic and life threatening. Hence I can see why RPP may want $$$ as some sort of 'deposit' so that they can start the treatment process depending on what your condition is and whether you're stable or not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic