Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

Post by John Bingham »

Those guys were rounded up from a "church" that was behind my house in 2009. My house was an old place with a kitchen and bathroom in an extension at the back with a metal roof. The church used to be pretty noisy with hymns and singing. A whole lot of them didn't have visas. There was an illegal card game going on next door and they had a Vietnamese woman keeping a look out. When the police arrived en masse she thought they were raiding the gambling den so she panicked and jumped off the balcony. She went straight through my roof and ended up flailing about covered in blood on my kitchen floor. Some army guys came around and dragged her off. I was pissed off because when I got home my dinner was ruined.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:00 pm
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 pm
Go to other areas (well, at least pre-Covid) and they would have been full of white males in their 20's or 30's looking broke. And parts of Riverside are full of white males in their 50's or 6 60's looking broke....
Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
Ok, go ahead with the stereotype. Why are they here? :popcorn:
He seems to be very clued up about the sexual activities of these Africans and their gigolo status.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:03 pm I think they all work in Rose-bar on 104 !! ??
They seem to spend a lot of time upstairs and might have a piece of the action. They don't seem to smile much, at me anyway, which is surprising considering the perfume they all seem to be wearing.

"Immigration makes it difficult for them to enter."

And exit.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm Those guys were rounded up from a "church" that was behind my house in 2009. My house was an old place with a kitchen and bathroom in an extension at the back with a metal roof. The church used to be pretty noisy with hymns and singing. A whole lot of them didn't have visas. There was an illegal card game going on next door and they had a Vietnamese woman keeping a look out. When the police arrived en masse she thought they were raiding the gambling den so she panicked and jumped off the balcony. She went straight through my roof and ended up flailing about covered in blood on my kitchen floor. Some army guys came around and dragged her off. I was pissed off because when I got home my dinner was ruined.
Thank you for sharing that amazing story. No joke, I am laughing my ass off visualizing it.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm Image

Those guys were rounded up from a "church" that was behind my house in 2009. My house was an old place with a kitchen and bathroom in an extension at the back with a metal roof. The church used to be pretty noisy with hymns and singing. A whole lot of them didn't have visas. There was an illegal card game going on next door and they had a Vietnamese woman keeping a look out. When the police arrived en masse she thought they were raiding the gambling den so she panicked and jumped off the balcony. She went straight through my roof and ended up flailing about covered in blood on my kitchen floor. Some army guys came around and dragged her off. I was pissed off because when I got home my dinner was ruined.
Your compassion is very moving. Was the roof repair expensive?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:39 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:03 pm I think they all work in Rose-bar on 104 !! ??
They seem to spend a lot of time upstairs and might have a piece of the action. They don't seem to smile much, at me anyway, which is surprising considering the perfume they all seem to be wearing.

"Immigration makes it difficult for them to enter."

And exit.
thats not perfume, they just smell like that i would think !!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's not so easy for Africans to enter Cambodia. Nigerian citizens have to jump through more hoops to get a visa to Cambodia than almost any other nationality. And African residents are more likely than people from other countries to be refused entry to Cambodia, and/or asked to show proof of funds on arrival.
Who needs a visa for Cambodia?

Most foreign visitors will need a visa, including infants and children (the price is the same as for adults).

Officially, if you are from Afghanistan, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, or Sudan, you are not eligible for a visa on arrival and will need to apply in advance at the closest Cambodian embassy in your home country (although all but citizens of Nigeria can apply online for an e-visa a minimum of 20 working days in advance). For citizens of these countries, the visa requirements are far more onerous. At a minimum, you’ll need a return ticket and sponsor letter or letter of invitation from an employer or organization. Be aware that although residents from African countries are technically eligible for Cambodia visas, many are denied on arrival.
https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning ... dia-visas/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:22 pm It's not so easy for Africans to enter Cambodia. Nigerian citizens have to jump through more hoops to get a visa to Cambodia than almost any other nationality. And African residents are more likely than people from other countries to be refused entry to Cambodia, and/or asked to show proof of funds on arrival.
Who needs a visa for Cambodia?

Most foreign visitors will need a visa, including infants and children (the price is the same as for adults).

Officially, if you are from Afghanistan, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, or Sudan, you are not eligible for a visa on arrival and will need to apply in advance at the closest Cambodian embassy in your home country (although all but citizens of Nigeria can apply online for an e-visa a minimum of 20 working days in advance). For citizens of these countries, the visa requirements are far more onerous. At a minimum, you’ll need a return ticket and sponsor letter or letter of invitation from an employer or organization. Be aware that although residents from African countries are technically eligible for Cambodia visas, many are denied on arrival.
https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning ... dia-visas/
I just had a look at the E-visa site

They seem to have 'forgotten' to include Nigeria in the country of nationality list. Is there any other country that is also excluded
this way, or it it just Nigeria?

Born there is ok.

Having a passport from there is not ok.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:21 pm
Go to other areas (well, at least pre-Covid) and they would have been full of white males in their 20's or 30's looking broke. And parts of Riverside are full of white males in their 50's or 6 60's looking broke....
Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
He seems to be very clued up about the sexual activities of these Africans and their gigolo status.
A couple of others have replied to this and also missed my point.

If you read Hanno's post, he's talking about broke white guys.

The OP then states "but it's obvious why they are here", referring to the white guys, as he then says, "The (west) Africans however".

I was interested to know why the OP thinks that it's obvious why the white guys are here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:01 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:21 pm
A couple of others have replied to this and also missed my point.

If you read Hanno's post, he's talking about broke white guys.

The OP then states "but it's obvious why they are here", referring to the white guys, as he then says, "The (west) Africans however".

I was interested to know why the OP thinks that it's obvious why the white guys are here.
well, OP trades in lazy streotypes and appears to think all Africans should behave in Asia according to what OP thinks he saw in Tanzania. That's almost like basing expectations of Italians upon what one sees in Finland because they are both European nations
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic