Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

Post by xandreu »

Seeing as though we're being extremely racist and stereotypical in this thread, I feel comfortable enough to say that, in my experience, they don't, generally, take personal hygiene quite as seriously as us whites do, and can sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes, allow their odour to enter a room before they do themselves.

But I could say the same for the French, so I'm not sure where I'm going with this...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Kenr wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:17 am assuming that the reason someone may be there is to sell drugs? 🤔
That's a real thing, you know ?
[/quote]

There is indeed some foreigners here SPECIFICALLY to be involved in the drug business from the supply end, and all colors are represented.
Just check the variety of people involved into this by browsing the forum.

And indeed we hear more about these 3 than others. Not that i put that on their color, but on present opportunity. Method, place, groups involved vary depending on opportunities. Frenchs did smuggle too in other places, other times (heroin to USA, opium, hash to europe) sure too, but we are talking about Cambodia now, right ?

Drugs business is pretty much color blind, it's about money and not giving a fuck about other people, a trait well shared around the world, Frogs included of course.

We've all seen articles about white guys getting caught at the post office with some pill packages, black guys using mules, nothern yellow guys with shitload of "tea" around them, in Cambodia.

I never said it was a prominent thing in their ethnic group, it's just the main one we hear about in Cambodia. And certainly not a generalization about Cambodia's expats, the vast majority being regular people with a job or else, whatever color they are.

Does it still sounds racist in any way rephrased like this ?

Sometime wording is tricky.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

nemo wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:36 pm Immigration makes it difficult for them to enter.
Is that always the case? I assume this varies by country.

The mighty GM covered this topic years ago. With more humor.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:35 am
Kenr wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:17 am assuming that the reason someone may be there is to sell drugs? 🤔
That's a real thing, you know ?
There is indeed some foreigners here SPECIFICALLY to be involved in the drug business from the supply end, and all colors are represented.
Just check the variety of people involved into this by browsing the forum.

And indeed we hear more about these 3 than others. Not that i put that on their color, but on present opportunity. Method, place, groups involved vary depending on opportunities. Frenchs did smuggle too in other places, other times (heroin to USA, opium, hash to europe) sure too, but we are talking about Cambodia now, right ?

Drugs business is pretty much color blind, it's about money and not giving a fuck about other people, a trait well shared around the world, Frogs included of course.

We've all seen articles about white guys getting caught at the post office with some pill packages, black guys using mules, nothern yellow guys with shitload of "tea" around them, in Cambodia.

I never said it was a prominent thing in their ethnic group, it's just the main one we hear about in Cambodia. And certainly not a generalization about Cambodia's expats, the vast majority being regular people with a job or else, whatever color they are.

Does it still sounds racist in any way rephrased like this ?

Sometime wording is tricky.

Again, I don’t know what you are talking about. I never stated what you wrote was racist. When I made my first post on this thread you hadn’t even posted yet, my original post was directed at the OP. You decided to respond to the last sentence in the first paragraph, and not even quote the entire sentence, and respond to it. Like I stated before, I never stated it was racist, rather just someone using stereotypes because of ones ethnicity, which may or may not be just as bad.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 pm
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:42 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:38 pm
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm Now this is not meant to be a racist threat or anything like that but I am just very curious as to something I have noticed in Phnom Penh after staying here for a few weeks now.

There are lots of African males, mostly young, around and I really wonder what it is that they are doing here. I have been to Africa myself in the past and find them to be a little...weird? They certainly don't fit the mold of "wealthy African" travelling around SEA and seem more like street hustlers to me.

They obviously aren't tourists so how do they make money here? I have noticed they often hang around in groups or have Khmer girlfriends (often old).

People told me they sell drugs, is that really all it is? Why is this tolerated here?
There's African females here too bro :OD:

There are Africans of all shapes, sizes, nationalities and colours here

Like any other group of expats some are highly successful, some are scraping the bottom of the barrel, some are legitimate immigrants and some are criminals

What part of Phnom Penh do you hang around in?
I used to stay at Urban Village in the past now Russian Market. Especially at Urban Village it's crazy how many Africans there are. More than white people or at least equal. Always males in their 20s or 30s looking broke ... How do they even afford to stay there is what I am wondering.
Go to other areas (well, at least pre-Covid) and they would have been full of white males in their 20's or 30's looking broke. And parts of Riverside are full of white males in their 50's or 6 60's looking broke....
Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
I submitted a comment that would answers your statement but it was censored, telling the thrut its like a cardinal sin.
Boredom is like a shroud
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

cabron wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:28 am
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
I submitted a comment that would answers your statement but it was censored, telling the thrut its like a cardinal sin.
No you didn't.

Assuming that "I submitted a comment" means that you 'made a post on this thread', then the answer is that you are mistaken.
There have been no posts deleted, censored or adjusted in any way.

More likely, you wrote a post, viewed your post by hitting the Preview button, then forgot to Submit.

Please enlighten us with the answer to his statement.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:56 am
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
No you didn't.

Assuming that "I submitted a comment" means that you 'made a post on this thread', then the answer is that you are mistaken.

More likely, you wrote a post, viewed your post by hitting the Preview button, then forgot to Submit.

Bad connection perhaps, I'm in the desert the signal is weak.
Boredom is like a shroud
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I haven't noticed, but when out and about only focus on women
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

cabron wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:20 am
Username Taken wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:56 am
No you didn't.

Bad connection perhaps, I'm in the desert the signal is weak.
Prob sand between your connections.. I remember General Mac had the same problems.
BraveMM1990
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BraveMM1990 »

Not sure if my post was deleted or not but it didn't appear.

I have spent some time in Tanzania and even though most of the Africans in PP seem to be from western Africa I think one thing still holds true.

There are tons of educated Africans working in various professions including English teachers etc. There are also plenty of wealthy Africans just as there are plenty of wealthy Cambodians despite the country overall being relatively poor.

What strikes me however is the Africans I see in PP belong to the category of people you would keep your distance from if you were living in Africa. You can sense that many of them are up to no good. Hanging around in groups making everyone feel insecure is something people of the educated category would not do in Africa. It's something street hustlers do ... And what's what most of the Africans I see in PP are unfortunately.

I just don't understand why the Cambodian government allows this? They make their money "befriending" or more like scamming women and/or selling drugs according to what I heard from locals and this also seems to be my impression.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic