Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

Post by Bongmab69 »

I think they all work in Rose-bar on 104 !! ??
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Immigration makes it difficult for them to enter.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Looking at the stats there is not a lot of Africans arrivals in Cambodia. I have quoted 2017 figures as the following years have surely heavily been influenced by Covid measures.

https://www.nagacorp.com/eng/ir/tourism ... 201709.pdf

The cambodian elite and some well off barangs stand for the demand. Some african dudes have the right connections and are willing to risk and offer supply. No stereotype. It is what it is. High risk, big money.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:03 pm I think they all work in Rose-bar on 104 !! ??
Dunno about working but years ago St 110 was the place... Sadly, it's now only a shadow of it's former self.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I would say it's the opposite of what the OP is describing. Even 2 years ago there were many '' African '' guys going to Black and White Bar and B+ W 2 bar especially late at night, which is not the situation now. The one beside Larry's still has a Cambodian lady, with 2 or is it 3 dark skinned kids, operating/owning it. It's more than 2 years since I spoke to the oldest girl and she seemed quite smart and spoke good English.

They are only trying to make an honest living like the rest of us so no disrespect to anyone.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm Now this is not meant to be a racist threat or anything like that but I am just very curious as to something I have noticed in Phnom Penh after staying here for a few weeks now.

There are lots of African males, mostly young, around and I really wonder what it is that they are doing here. I have been to Africa myself in the past and find them to be a little...weird? They certainly don't fit the mold of "wealthy African" travelling around SEA and seem more like street hustlers to me.

They obviously aren't tourists so how do they make money here? I have noticed they often hang around in groups or have Khmer girlfriends (often old).

People told me they sell drugs, is that really all it is? Why is this tolerated here?
Ask the locals. They know what goes on better than us.
And they won't be affected by a need to be politically correct, I think you'll find.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It took me a minute to wrap my head around this and decide if I would comment on this, but here it goes.

One of the problems with the world today is the labeling and stereotyping of individuals because of the color of their skin. I would think that a foreigner who goes to Asia wouldn’t be so cynical towards another foreigner being there. It’s odd that a foreigner would have the “you don’t belong in this neighborhood” type of attitude towards another foreigner just because of their skin tone, but I guess we still haven’t truly evolved yet. And assuming that the reason someone may be there is to sell drugs? 🤔

Why does anyone leave their home country and settle down in a country that they have nothing in common with? I would assume it’s because they can.

If you want to see some real degenerate’s in SE Asia go to YouTube and check out the e-begging section, you’ll find some real winners there.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:29 pm There were lots of African males in Thailand, footballers or trainers, do you think they may be doing the same occupation here?
Yeah well, here in Bangkok, how many African drug peddlers do we have for each African footballer or football coach? Ten or more?

They're back in force, now that it's easier to enter Thailand once again.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Kenr wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:19 pm assuming that the reason someone may be there is to sell drugs? 🤔
That's a real thing, you know ?

No particular skin tone in mind when it comes to drugs, but most famously
Chineses producing / trafficking meth
Africans trafficking meth / else
Whites dealing coke / ecstasy

Don't worry about skin tone, although the particular situation of each ethnic group gives a different modus operandi, different approach.

Chineses go industrial
Africans go mules
Whites go self-mule + packages

Allright, i still haven't seen an Inuit dealing ayahuasca in Phnom Penh for example, but it seems less likewise, geographically, financially, socially.
But maybe there is, who knows ?
Sorry for the lack of skin tone variety in this gif....

Should i have added "Some" in front of each ethnic group so the woke people don't yell at me because they assume i generalize ?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:00 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:19 pm assuming that the reason someone may be there is to sell drugs? 🤔
That's a real thing, you know ?

No particular skin tone in mind when it comes to drugs, but most famously
Chineses producing / trafficking meth
Africans trafficking meth / else
Whites dealing coke / ecstasy

Don't worry about skin tone, although the particular situation of each ethnic group gives a different modus operandi, different approach.

Chineses go industrial
Africans go mules
Whites go self-mule + packages

Allright, i still haven't seen an Inuit dealing ayahuasca in Phnom Penh for example, but it seems less likewise, geographically, financially, socially.
But maybe there is, who knows ?
Sorry for the lack of skin tone variety in this gif....

Should i have added "Some" in front of each ethnic group so the woke people don't yell at me because they assume i generalize ?
What are you talking about? The OP made the assertion that the young “African” males were there dealing drugs.
I was just wondering why that was his assumption. How is that being “woke”?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic