Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BraveMM1990
Tourist
Cambodia

Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

Post by BraveMM1990 »

Now this is not meant to be a racist threat or anything like that but I am just very curious as to something I have noticed in Phnom Penh after staying here for a few weeks now.

There are lots of African males, mostly young, around and I really wonder what it is that they are doing here. I have been to Africa myself in the past and find them to be a little...weird? They certainly don't fit the mold of "wealthy African" travelling around SEA and seem more like street hustlers to me.

They obviously aren't tourists so how do they make money here? I have noticed they often hang around in groups or have Khmer girlfriends (often old).

People told me they sell drugs, is that really all it is? Why is this tolerated here?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Many young African men in Phnom Penh these days?

Post by AndyKK »

There were lots of African males in Thailand, footballers or trainers, do you think they may be doing the same occupation here?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They have gotten a bad rep as there are some bad apples (same as westerners/Chinese), but they work a multitude of jobs. Many own businesses, coach football, and so forth. There actually aren't that many of them, but they're overrepresented in a few select neighbourhoods. Perhaps it's because of where you live it appears like there are a lot. Also, keep in mind that many you see might not even be African...

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm Now this is not meant to be a racist threat or anything like that but I am just very curious as to something I have noticed in Phnom Penh after staying here for a few weeks now.

There are lots of African males, mostly young, around and I really wonder what it is that they are doing here. I have been to Africa myself in the past and find them to be a little...weird? They certainly don't fit the mold of "wealthy African" travelling around SEA and seem more like street hustlers to me.

They obviously aren't tourists so how do they make money here? I have noticed they often hang around in groups or have Khmer girlfriends (often old).

People told me they sell drugs, is that really all it is? Why is this tolerated here?
There's African females here too bro :OD:

There are Africans of all shapes, sizes, nationalities and colours here

Like any other group of expats some are highly successful, some are scraping the bottom of the barrel, some are legitimate immigrants and some are criminals

What part of Phnom Penh do you hang around in?
BraveMM1990
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BraveMM1990 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:38 pm
BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm Now this is not meant to be a racist threat or anything like that but I am just very curious as to something I have noticed in Phnom Penh after staying here for a few weeks now.

Like any other group of expats some are highly successful, some are scraping the bottom of the barrel, some are legitimate immigrants and some are criminals

I used to stay at Urban Village in the past now Russian Market. Especially at Urban Village it's crazy how many Africans there are. More than white people or at least equal. Always males in their 20s or 30s looking broke ... How do they even afford to stay there is what I am wondering.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:42 pm

I used to stay at Urban Village in the past now Russian Market. Especially at Urban Village it's crazy how many Africans there are. More than white people or at least equal. Always males in their 20s or 30s looking broke ... How do they even afford to stay there is what I am wondering.
Buy them a beer and ask them if you are so curious
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

They're usually art dealers :dm:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Go to other areas (well, at least pre-Covid) and they would have been full of white males in their 20's or 30's looking broke. And parts of Riverside are full of white males in their 50's or 6 60's looking broke....
BraveMM1990
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BraveMM1990 »

hanno wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 pm

Go to other areas (well, at least pre-Covid) and they would have been full of white males in their 20's or 30's looking broke. And parts of Riverside are full of white males in their 50's or 6 60's looking broke....
Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

BraveMM1990 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 pm
Of course, but it's obvious why they are here ... The (west) Africans however are probably not here for a vacation and I don't think they are here for paid sex either. Although I have seen plenty of broke looking Africans with rich-looking women so it seems like some of them are here for that, although the roles are reversed.
Ok, go ahead with the stereotype. Why are they here? :popcorn:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic