famous places to hangout with girls at night time

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: famous places to hangout with girls at night time

Post by Username Taken »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:19 am It was quite some years ago, my first visit to Phnom Penh. I joined a few Khmers for dinner and went on with them to a few bars and clubs, Sharky's Bar, Pontoon and Martini's, not the Martini's on 51 Street, Martini's club, does anyone remember the place?
The Martini behind the Intercontinental Hotel* on Mao Tse Toung Blvd?
I remember that place. :thumb:
"Those were the days my friend, . . . . "

* Later rebranded as The Great Duke Phnom Penh Hotel.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Satiated Parrot wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:59 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:30 am
scott61 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:48 am
By the way, I've 'discovered' a nice little bar near my apartment, The Golden Vine, 81 Street 108, open until 3 am. (late?) Anyone know it?
Top bar. Drinks cold. Girls friendly and will leave you alone unless you want to hang out. Pool table large and well set. Bar staff don't cheat on tabs they are honest. A place to flirt and can get hot!

Don't tell anyone about it... oops
Golden Vine has been there since about 2005 so it's not exactly a secret. The owner used to cook for Sharkeys I think, she did really good roast dinners at Golden Vine for a while.
Wasn't the owner an Aussie guy? I recall meeting him at the Pickled Parrot years ago.
I met him briefly at the Ettamogah Pub in 2000. I think he had just left the Australian Army and was hanging out with another Aussie guy whose name I think was R*y. I might be confused here, but I think R*y was driving Pol Pots' old Benz.

Pretty sure Golden Vine started not so long after that.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:32 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:19 am It was quite some years ago, my first visit to Phnom Penh. I joined a few Khmers for dinner and went on with them to a few bars and clubs, Sharky's Bar, Pontoon and Martini's, not the Martini's on 51 Street, Martini's club, does anyone remember the place?

I could not remember the location. The people I was with took me in their car, then later we ended up in a huge Cambodian bar with about 6 pool tables, wherever it was, it was a rough area back in those days.
I used to drink at the Black Cat, nice little bar.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:41 am
Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:32 am

I could not remember the location. The people I was with took me in their car, then later we ended up in a huge Cambodian bar with about 6 pool tables, wherever it was, it was a rough area back in those days.
I used to drink at the Black Cat, nice little bar.
It was at three locations, the first was behind the Intercon Hotel, the second was near the west end of 360 but I never went to that one so I'm not sure. It wasn't there long because the Military Prison where Duch and Ta Mok were held was nearby and the noise was keeping the guards awake. The last one was on the corner of 95 and 350.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Thanks for the info on the locations of the various Martinis guys. I knew I was taken a long way out and the tuk-tuk guy waited for me - about 3 hours!
With your info I see the site on Google map by the old Inter Con, now the Great Duke (also permanently closed) as you describe.

This original Martini on Mao Zedong Blvd was infamous. Hang out of gang of Viet girls sitting in a circle around a fish pond. For a long time I didn't realise the main room was an open air bar until I looked up at where I thought there would be a roof and saw stars. That must have been 2006, but I know it had been open for many years before that. Great pool tables and pizza. Those were heady days!

I didn't see the newer Martini bars but I believe the last closed in 2015.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That would have been the last proper Martinis. The one by the Intercon opened in the early 90s and lasted till 2002 or so. I don't remember any fish pond. The one near the Military Prison was only open a year or so. The one on 95/350 was open from about 2004 till 2015. The first and last ones were quite similar with a big open air space, food court, big screen and then a disco in an indoor space.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:23 pm That would have been the last proper Martinis. The one by the Intercon opened in the early 90s and lasted till 2002 or so. I don't remember any fish pond. The one near the Military Prison was only open a year or so. The one on 95/350 was open from about 2004 till 2015. The first and last ones were quite similar with a big open air space, food court, big screen and then a disco in an indoor space.
I like your expression 'the last proper Martinis'. I didn't know the first had opened as early as that, in those days Phnom Penh was said to be the wild west (as the book, 'Off the Rails in PP' describes, written in around 1996. (I think that's the name of the book).

Another thing I remember about Martinis (must have been the last one, as you have pointed out), is the sign as you entered saying 'no guns or hand grenades'. Was that unusual for a bar in those days? Any bars still have those warning signs? Apparently there were many shoot-outs in the 90s!
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are still a few of those signs around. A couple of years ago Club Miami in BKK 1 was busted with loads of narcotics. There were police guarding the place. I was with a Vietnam veteran friend and my son leaving the place opposite. So I decided to steal their sign. I grabbed it from near a hammock a cop was dozing in. Then I put it in the trunk of my friend's car. We drove a bit up the street and my son started calling us idiots. So my friend turned around and we drove past the club again. The cops had woken up and were looking around. We laughed a lot. It's in my friend's front yard now.

Weird choice of symbols, notice how drugs is last!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:59 pm There are still a few of those signs around. A couple of years ago Club Miami in BKK 1 was busted with loads of narcotics. There were police guarding the place. I was with a Vietnam veteran friend and my son leaving the place opposite. So I decided to steal their sign. I grabbed it from near a hammock a cop was dozing in. Then I put it in the trunk of my friend's car. We drove a bit up the street and my son started calling us idiots. So my friend turned around and we drove past the club again. The cops had woken up and were looking around. We laughed a lot. It's in my friend's front yard now.

Weird choice of symbols, notice how drugs is last!
An afterthought.

If there were multiple Martinis, I probably only knew the last one, which most people I knew didn't rate. But I liked it. The outdoor area and the cheesy little disco was hilarious. I miss that a bit.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Just noticed the sign. I thought you were taking photos in people's bedrooms.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic