Watching the girls: Preemptive measures taken against sex predators

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Watching the girls: Preemptive measures taken against sex predators

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

School ! I was down the pit
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:37 pm Where?

The article has mentioned ‘some state schools’, and quoted the vice principle of a high school. With some detective work, it might be possible to track down which school in the latter case. There’s a couple of students named specifically, which is odd.

There’s no doubt that there’s a problem regarding children’s safety countrywide, but the article almost gives an impression of gangs of predators behind every bush, in every shadow, in every school, followed by some pretty slack advice- don’t come to school too early, don’t loiter after school too long.
It’s quite a scare tactic, in the absence of a far better process of educating children about all risks, from crossing roads safely, to cycling to school responsibly, to being wary of predators. The latter having the risk that it is quite likely someone who they may be familiar with. Only loosely touched upon in the article by some boys harassing some girls.

There’s a good chance that I’m wrong, but I sense an alarming article based on some valid points, but which fundamentally may have people looking in the wrong places.
The girls interviewed seemed perplexed. I don't recall any rape cases around schools but they probably don't get high reportage. It's a sketchy country/ world for vulnerable girls though, I'd be terrified letting a daughter out of my sight.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:42 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:37 pm Where?

The article has mentioned ‘some state schools’, and quoted the vice principle of a high school. With some detective work, it might be possible to track down which school in the latter case. There’s a couple of students named specifically, which is odd.

There’s no doubt that there’s a problem regarding children’s safety countrywide, but the article almost gives an impression of gangs of predators behind every bush, in every shadow, in every school, followed by some pretty slack advice- don’t come to school too early, don’t loiter after school too long.
It’s quite a scare tactic, in the absence of a far better process of educating children about all risks, from crossing roads safely, to cycling to school responsibly, to being wary of predators. The latter having the risk that it is quite likely someone who they may be familiar with. Only loosely touched upon in the article by some boys harassing some girls.

There’s a good chance that I’m wrong, but I sense an alarming article based on some valid points, but which fundamentally may have people looking in the wrong places.
The girls interviewed seemed perplexed. I don't recall any rape cases around schools but they probably don't get high reportage. It's a sketchy country/ world for vulnerable girls though, I'd be terrified letting a daughter out of my sight.
Absolutely.
It feels rather like Cambodia is over represented in those willing to attack and prey on children.
Kids murdered as a revenge against a spouse
Kids attacked and murdered by teenagers who were so easily insulted.
Kids robbed by adults who wanted the trinket or jewelry
Girls who are attacked, raped, murdered by their peers

Each and every report hits home, given that I’m out of the country a lot.
There’s clearly a problem. There seems to be a lack of appreciation that there is, or such an inability to know how to deal with it, that it goes unchallenged except by a few.

And, Another point from the KT article- no input from parents? No quote, comment or even reference to a lack of parental input. A bit clumsy at best. Like the reporter of a traffic accident that puts more detail in identifying the vehicle number plates, than in the circumstances of the accident.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:45 pm Image

;)
who wants to go to school in Magadan, and maybe small detail: the last 1000 kms is on the bone-road, build by the bones from the deads in the gulags overthere . . .
And snow overthere ?? Just search on youtube "Magadan-road" . . .
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:11 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am I don't think this is limited to Cambodia to be honest. In my day I'd walk 4-5 miles to school (UK), I wouldn't dream of letting my son do that exact same route nowadays, let alone my daughter.
4-5 miles? Luxury!

In my day I had to walk 10 miles a day with no shoes on, on a gravel path and 3 inches of snow.
My late mother used to tell me that she walked 5 miles to school and obviously the same back. This was in the South Wales valleys, and she had no shoes at the time, walking on old sheep and miner's tracks, winter we're cold and harsh times.
I had about 2 miles to walk to school, I came home for dinner too. It got tedious at times. I would sometimes call at the corner shop about halfway, if I had any money and get a tomato dip, that's what it was a tea cake dipped in tomato and mucky fat "they were great and cheap".
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:11 pm School ! I was down the pit
Down’t pit eh lad? Tha’s got nowt on me.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

luxury
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic