Another motorcycle license thread

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Another motorcycle license thread

Post by Apparition »

Having browsed a few of the previous topics, I haven't found the info I was looking for. Has anyone done/know the process required to get a big bike license in Cambodia?

I've been riding in the UK for 3 years on a provisional 125cc license. I could take the UK test before I leave (and transfer the license?), but a 3 day direct access course is around £700.

Would it make more sense to just do a test in Phnom Penh, or is it a massive pain in the sack?

Thanks!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Another motorcycle license thread

Post by AndyKK »

How to get a Cambodian Driving License in 2021

Many expats don’t bother to get a license, and just pay (or avoid) the fines when they are stopped. But getting a driver’s license in Cambodia isn’t very difficult, and although the fines for driving without one are currently small, they are growing, and in the future the penalties for driving without a license will likely be more severe. Also, if you get into an accident while driving without a valid Cambodian license, most health insurance and travel insurance companies will not cover your claim. Driving in Cambodia is easy especially if you’re doing it legally. By Land Traffic Law, driving any vehicle above 125cc in the Kingdom is legal when you have a Cambodian driver’s license.

https://www.phnompenhrealestate.net/how ... e-in-2021/

For a foreigner the test center is now at the HGV test centre out of the city.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks Andy. Sounds relatively straightforward, and a lot cheaper than getting my UK license before I go.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^
Yes, you could get your big bike license in the UK firstly then easily transfer it to a khmer licence for big bike. But, every year when you renew your khmer licence you have to submit a current valid home licence. That may or may not be a hassle depending on your circumstances..

AFAIK if you do the khmer test here and provided you're not too old, you can then get a 10 year licence and it works out a lot cheaper. I have no idea how hard the test is tho..
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Apparition wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:07 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks Andy. Sounds relatively straightforward, and a lot cheaper than getting my UK license before I go.
It is certainly cheaper than the alternative you mention in the UK.
Above it mentions cheap fines if stopped in Cambodia without the licence, it maybe so, but it's a $179 on the spot fine just now.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:12 pm ^^^
Yes, you could get your big bike license in the UK firstly then easily transfer it to a khmer licence for big bike. But, every year when you renew your khmer licence you have to submit a current valid home licence. That may or may not be a hassle depending on your circumstances..

AFAIK if you do the khmer test here and provided you're not too old, you can then get a 10 year licence and it works out a lot cheaper. I have no idea how hard the test is tho..
It is a fact the cones are placed at half the distance for foreigner's then how it is setup for Khmers' but nothing new there to make it more difficult for the visitor.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

I'd rather not risk riding without a license, and I'd rather not drop $179 every time I'm stopped.

@Clutch Cargo I'm 40; I can still see things (especially nice women) more than 10m away :)

Surely the test can't be as rigorous as the UK one (which alongside Germany is the hardest country to get a bike license in, according to my last instructor).
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Get your UK license first if you want to ride a big bike because even if you have a Cambodian bike license you may find your insurance company still won't cover you if you don't have the equivalent license in your home country. Sounds like crap but that's what it is, it doesn't make any common sense.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:35 pm Get your UK license first if you want to ride a big bike because even if you have a Cambodian bike license you may find your insurance company still won't cover you if you don't have the equivalent license in your home country. Sounds like crap but that's what it is, it doesn't make any common sense.
Not saying your wrong, but when I got insurance for the 400 I only had to show my Cambodian license.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:56 pm
atst wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:35 pm Get your UK license first if you want to ride a big bike because even if you have a Cambodian bike license you may find your insurance company still won't cover you if you don't have the equivalent license in your home country. Sounds like crap but that's what it is, it doesn't make any common sense.
Not saying your wrong, but when I got insurance for the 400 I only had to show my Cambodian license.
Maybe only applies to travel insurance
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic