Newbie questions, and hello

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Newbie questions, and hello

Post by Apparition »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:19 am
Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:30 pm Hey everyone,

Here's the long version; I'm a professional musician in the UK. During lockdown I had a long think about life (I'm sure you can relate) and I decided I wanted to get out of the UK and try something new. I still make music and make a decent-ish (thanks spotify) income from it, but I realised I can survive without having to DJ if I really need to. I was originally planning on going to Vietnam, and even learned the language to a reasonable level. However, Vietnam have now reformed their visas, and it won't really work for me (at least I got a language out of it and made some friends).

I am interested in seeing what life in Cambodia is like. But I would like to know what the reality of getting a visa is like, because I don't want to just womble around SE Asia on tourist visas (I'm 40, I'm pretty sure backpacking is illegal at this point). I am working on getting a TEFL qualification, as I'd be happy to teach if it offered me the chance to stay for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas/advice/moral support?

Thanks for reading my essay,

Jon
You can arrive on a Tourist visa (available online), and you can now convert those, while still in country, to a 1 year EB visa which will cost you about $375 for a year (hassle and paperwork free) or cheaper if you actually have a real job and can prove it. I have a good agent who is widely known and respected on this forum: 'Call Kim' +855 92 256 388. You can WhatsApp her from the UK with any queries. That's it, your visa worries are now over, it's just an expense.

Once you book your flight and are definitely coming over you can ask any specifics on the Ask the Expats section on this forum, it was by far the best resource when I got here.

As for house hunting, do a full list of what you want / don't want and post it in the Housing section. You'll be swamped with advice, and much will be useful. The housing stock here will be a culture shock for you, but it can be very cheap as long as you're not too fussy. And there is non of that credit or background check bullshit; You find, you sign and pay, you get the keys - on the same day

Just do it...
Thanks, Doc, I appreciate it. This is really useful & comforting info to read. Proving what I do to get visas is right pain in the arse (I've jumped through those flaming sh*t-coated hoops for USA work visas before) so if I can just pay that would be preferable. This was kind of my issue with Vietnam, seems like the visa run culture might be over.

I'm definitely coming over, I'm waiting until June to get all my stuff in order here.

Thanks for the housing info; this country seems like it has my kind of attitude towards red tape.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

When coming in June check again in May. Current info might be outdated by then.

Rule one in Cambodia: do not plan ahead too far. Four months definitely is too far, especially during the situation the world is in now.
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by Singapore Slinger »

Apparition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:07 pm
Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:30 pm
Thanks, Doc, I appreciate it. This is really useful & comforting info to read. Proving what I do to get visas is right pain in the arse (I've jumped through those flaming sh*t-coated hoops for USA work visas before) so if I can just pay that would be preferable. This was kind of my issue with Vietnam, seems like the visa run culture might be over.

I'm definitely coming over, I'm waiting until June to get all my stuff in order here.

Thanks for the housing info; this country seems like it has my kind of attitude towards red tape.
I don't think the Vietnam gig is up you just need to be in country and greasing the right palms as in most SEA nations?
Personally I prefer the Khmer they are more laid back and the ladies aren't as cold as their Vietnamese counterparts,although the English speaking Vietnamese men I met seemed very friendly when compared with the rather xenophobic Thai males?
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Singapore Slinger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:12 am
Apparition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:07 pm
Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:30 pm

I don't think the Vietnam gig is up you just need to be in country and greasing the right palms as in most SEA nations?
Personally I prefer the Khmer they are more laid back and the ladies aren't as cold as their Vietnamese counterparts,although the English speaking Vietnamese men I met seemed very friendly when compared with the rather xenophobic Thai males?
My ex is Vietnamese, cold as the ice planet Hoth...maybe that's my fault, though.

You're probably right, but I'll still go to Cambodia first. I like what I'm reading about it, laid back works for me and it sounds a bit 'edgier' than Vietnam.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Apparition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:54 pm Thanks, I'm not sure there's much call for drum & bass in Cambodia, though!

Maybe bring some sunny D'n'bass ?

I would come by if i was still there
dbigwalker
Tourist
United States of America

Post by dbigwalker »

Apparition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:54 pm
Gazzy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:29 am There's something for everyone here. Visas are easy to come by. It's an easy place to live. The music scene, used to be pretty vibrant, now it's dull, so any contribution is appreciated. I say c'mon over matey.
Thanks, I'm not sure there's much call for drum & bass in Cambodia, though!
How about blues, jazz and funk?
Blues is my Business
https://www.blueswalker.com
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

dbigwalker wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:08 pm
Apparition wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:54 pm
Gazzy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:29 am There's something for everyone here. Visas are easy to come by. It's an easy place to live. The music scene, used to be pretty vibrant, now it's dull, so any contribution is appreciated. I say c'mon over matey.
Thanks, I'm not sure there's much call for drum & bass in Cambodia, though!
How about blues, jazz and funk?
I could probably rustle up a passable funk DJ set
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic