Acleda's new Payband

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Acleda's new Payband

Post by Darkcel »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:17 am The big boss here likes his watches.
Yeah, but he's flexing on people who make 180 a month 😂
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:22 am

Am I missing something or just a luddite?

http://www.acledabank.com/site/20220324 ... gKMJvD_BwE
My gut feeling tells me they're aiming for those with personalized number plates.

LUCKY.777
and
SEXY.999 etc etc

Just imagine the power of the personal plate combined with the limited strap.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Nobody wears watches anymore unless they are flexing
Not sure what ‘flexing’ means.

I completely depend on my Apple smart watch at work. I can be busy doing procedures, and still see and answer urgent messages as well as answer mandatory calls. Works with gloves on.

Not at work, it monitors my oxygen levels while I’m sleeping. Looks for atrial fibrillation, helps with driving directions, gets a quick glance hourly weather forecast, etc.

And yes, it can ePay, too (I have it turned off). I prefer the safety of the double click and face recognition of the iPhone for that.

I’ve got ‘beauty watches’ for some formal occasions, but rarely worn.

I don’t enjoy wearing watches. But the smart watch is too useful for me not to wear.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:07 pm Is it going to be one of those ludicrous accessories where you 'tap' with the watch, and then you need to put in an authenticator code in the Acleda app on your phone ... i.e. why not just tap with the phone #facepalm etc.

Can't fault Acleda's impact on the country, but they sure do have some weird (okay, really bad) tech as far as customer experience goes- said as a business user.
The ATMs in the Acleda HQ on Monivong all have huge notices stating that customers must not spray the keys with alcohol. Obviously the Covid-paranoid have short-circuited the inner wiring.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 am
Spigzy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:07 pm Is it going to be one of those ludicrous accessories where you 'tap' with the watch, and then you need to put in an authenticator code in the Acleda app on your phone ... i.e. why not just tap with the phone #facepalm etc.

Can't fault Acleda's impact on the country, but they sure do have some weird (okay, really bad) tech as far as customer experience goes- said as a business user.
The ATMs in the Acleda HQ on Monivong all have huge notices stating that customers must not spray the keys with alcohol. Obviously the Covid-paranoid have short-circuited the inner wiring.
The government did a great job with it's fearmongering. I don't suppose they have a plan to undo the brainwashing.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:22 am I came across this and am not sure if it is a great idea or a terrible one. It is not just for contactless payments but also for cash withdrawals at Acleda ATM's that accept contactless. I hope you also need a PIN for cash withdrawals or the watch becomes a very attractive items for thieves (contactless already has plenty of security issues).
I asked at Acleda HQ today. You can use it as contactless but you still have to key in a PIN.
It costs $9, one-time fee. Available from June.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:17 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:22 am I came across this and am not sure if it is a great idea or a terrible one. It is not just for contactless payments but also for cash withdrawals at Acleda ATM's that accept contactless. I hope you also need a PIN for cash withdrawals or the watch becomes a very attractive items for thieves (contactless already has plenty of security issues).
I asked at Acleda HQ today. You can use it as contactless but you still have to key in a PIN.
So it has less functionality than a contactless card (which don't require a PIN) or a phone app which are much more secure. It is just a rubber wrist band with a chip inside with your card details on it.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:17 am
ROFL - as expected, genius :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

The government did a great job with it's fearmongering. I don't suppose they have a plan to undo the brainwashing.

As is the case around the world.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:38 am

Unintended consequences...think cobra skins and rat tails..

https://www.theweek.in/columns/bibek-de ... tails.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic