People Behaving Badly at PPIA

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: People Behaving Badly at PIA

Post by John Bingham »

There have been huge crowds around departures at PPIA for as long as I can remember. I've been responsible for at least part of that a few times. Families come in droves because they know they might not see the departing member again for a long time, if ever. The airport is very underused at the moment so it seems people are able to spread out more. The main issue seems to be that they are making a mess and leaving trash everywhere. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s a modern international airport, run in a very provincial way at times. Imagine what will happen if they don’t get a grip on things when the new airports open up. Assuming they have sufficient passenger traffic to make it look like they were needed.

On one of my recent departures from Phnom Penh, I ran over someone’s foot with my case. I suggested that their foot may be better off somewhere else (I was thinking vertically, beneath them, rather than horizontally in front.). Either way, not in my way.

I actually don’t get the fascination of hanging around once they’ve dropped off whomever. I hate airports. However, in the spirit of research and cultural understanding, I asked Mrs.Freightdog. Apparently, she’s asked the same thing of folks there. There’s actually some rational, reasonable explanations to much of this-

There’s various elements of the family from different locations, all arriving at the airport at different times, to say goodbye. Given Cambodian punctuality and a check in time some two hours prior to departure- Let’s all meet and have a picnic.
There’s elements of the family from everywhere all meeting at convenient times from everywhere to welcome someone back. Let’s all have a picnic. The extra loitering time is something of a safeguard against being late, I guess.
This says to me that the thing missing is more appropriate facilities to accommodate a social gathering for what may be a major event for many Cambodians, but which we’ve come to take for granted. Picnic areas, trash cans, and maybe a couple of jolly uniforms to encourage people to be tidy?
Let’s face it, I can leave home with the entire family crammed in a car, for a drive to Kep, and yet 2 hours down the road we’re stopping for food. That’s just a relatively short road journey, with actual good food promised in only a couple more hours.

In the developed west, what with all the extra security due to terrorist threats, the money grabbing efforts of the airports charging exorbitant fees for drop off, and the generally oppressive feel to some airports; gone are the days of it being a day out. Airports used to have viewing galleries to watch departures and arrivals, and saying good bye used to happen inside the terminal.

I still hate airports, and actively discourage the family from going with me when I leave. I usually fail, though, as 15 minutes before I walk out the door, it’s blatantly obvious that she’s decided we’re all going, for a final farewell in front of the terminal, a few extra hugs, and then I proceed to run over some toes on my way inside. SWMBO, however, doesn’t hang about for a picnic. No loitering.
The last few arrivals in PP for me were during COVID, so being met by enthusiast sprogs hoping to discover presents stopped happening.

As to being socially responsible? Why would the airport be any different when trash is randomly dumped by the roadside, out of car windows, or dropped on the ground countrywide. That’s a countrywide, and increasingly worldwide issue.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

This is what I love about Cambodia locals doing what they want not giving a fuck about what's around them and leaving thier rubbish behind , I honestly love this behavior it's what makes Cambodia different good on them. the square heads can stick thier square heads where the sun don't shine if they don't like it
honestly they aren't hurting anyone and would be tempted to get a six pack and join them
It's a big thing to send of a family member and that experience has been taken away because of airport security
Let the tourist experience Cambodia culture first up, families having a gathering no matter where they are , location is unimportant
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

atst wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:53 pm This is what I love about Cambodia locals doing what they want not giving a fuck about what's around them and leaving thier rubbish behind ,
Cool, you should go clean up their garbage.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:46 pm
There’s various elements of the family from different locations, all arriving at the airport at different times, to say goodbye. Given Cambodian punctuality and a check in time some two hours prior to departure- Let’s all meet and have a picnic.
I like the idea of a public picnic area outside of the airport..with foodstalls and all..
work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Doesn't everyone take a six-pack to the airport when leaving or seeing someone off ? :whistler:
But that's no excuse for not using the available rubbish bins, which are now conveniently situated within easy walking distance from the benches for drinking beer.

Joking aside. I've been embarrassed a few times when there were crowds of Cham families seeing folks off to Mecca and they all stared at our beers (and nudged each other and giggled).
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:57 am Doesn't everyone take a six-pack to the airport when leaving or seeing someone off ? :whistler:

Everyone I know.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:57 am Doesn't everyone take a six-pack to the airport when leaving or seeing someone off ? :whistler:
No, that's very coarse behavior. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 pm
We shouldn't get anything, other than used to it. This is their town.
CEO News notes: The social commenter that was cited in the OP seems to be a Cambodian, and his/her comments were reposted here to see what expats have to add to the discussion about airport behavior at PIA.
I was replying to the actual OP, whom would appear to be very articulate and educated, or assisted, if they are Cambodian. I realise you have not said you think they are, so maybe you were merely pointing out an observation. Thanks.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: People Behaving Badly at PPIA

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Did someone say what they love about Cambodia is that people leave garbage around? :voilent1:

I could see the draw to a random airport parking lot party on a nice cool Cambodia afternoon, just move them away from the doors and get people to pick up the garbage. The garbage isn't really an airport issue though, that's widespread. There's a lot to love about Cambodia, just not sure the garbage is one of those things. :beer:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic