Where can I get a prenup in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Re: Where can I get a prenup in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kohker »

kambokiwi wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:26 pm Kohker, man, you must have a really shit life if you actually think like your replies and aren’t just trolling. Learning english so you can assimilate into another country does not mean you can’t communicate and getting a prenup does not mean you don’t love someone. I think my gf and I are just way too smart and happy for your tiny brain to comprehend. Maybe go back to your sad lonely life and leave intelligent conversation to the big kids.
Ok thanks,enjoy your purchase.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Why bother getting married in the first place? It's just a religious construct designed to exert control, via control of sex.

Sex must only occur in marriage (Corinthians 7:2–5) as sex leads to immorality, (according to the God Squad), so if you prohibit sex outside marriage you have an endless queue of people to sign up to marriage and therefore to the church. Those were the rules up to about 60 years ago, and everyone signed up.

Throw in elaborate costumes, man-made rituals, celebrity status for a day, a party afterwards and previous generations looking on you approvingly. It's almost irresistible. Back in the good old days the bride's father picked up the bill. Now you'll need a mortgage to pay for it all.

Once the fog clears and everyone has gone home, you are then at the mercy of the state endlessly imposing laws to govern your marital lives, all effective retrospectively, and lawyers feeding off the 30%+ failure rate.

Why get sucked into it in the first place, or in the case of the OP, for the second time?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:12 am Why bother getting married in the first place? It's just a religious construct designed to exert control, via control of sex.

…. Truncated to placate the sensitive readers that don’t cope with large quotes - no issue on my phone
While on one hand I agree with you, I also observe the fracturing of society as marriage becomes weakened. Perhaps coincidence though.

And, regardless of marriage, relationships tend to be throwaway these days. The rights of individuals not to stay past its usefulness. But. Broken families seem to be creating an increase in broken children who grow into broken adults and exacerbate the problem. Or maybe I am entrenched in the system’s narrative and need to be enlightened. I’m open to that.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

kambokiwi wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:08 am BklynBoy, you hit the nail on the head there. My children live with me so I don’t want them to lose their home because I married the wrong person. Obviously I trust my gf otherwise I wouldn’t want to get married in the first place but having a bit of security for the kids sake takes away any doubts. My gf and I have been able to have an open and honest discussion about this, isn’t that the adult thing to do? Maybe too many men on here are marrying the wrong girl judging by some of the negative comments, probably met in a bar and have a huge age gap. Not all of us are dirty old men you know. I was happy to sign a prenup for my previous wife who had a lot more than me. It was no big deal at all, 12 happy years together before we divorced and zero issues when we did. We’re still friends now because there was no need for a bitter, angry divorce and we didn’t fuck up the kids in the process. I don’t understand why some people are against prenups to be honest. Better for the husband, better for the wife, better for the kids. Win/win for everyone.
I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here.

Firstly, it is only what is acquired once in the unity, that is split (hopefully not a personality).

"Maybe too many men on here are marrying" should have had a full stop at this point.

OPing tends to be for big boys, so be prepared to cop some backlash, most can be constructive. You set yourself up with "Not all of us are dirty old men you know. " But is was too easy.

I'm not against prenups, at all. In fact, the only reason not to is you want to give her everything anyway, and marrying her means it isn't as easy for her to take off. You get the Government involved.

I don't get marriage, altogether.

Sure, have a party, and tell the world we are going to hang out together for as long as. We are happy.

But legally tie yourself to somebody? Not this cowboy!

No offence, and I say this because I am in the vast minority, so obviously I am missing something.

But it's not a life (I meant to write "wife," and that just...).

And fifthly, your previous prenuptial agreement worked out nicely, and coincidently, the female had more than you to lose, without one.

Can't recall any cliches about buying a man a house now to save time later, and references to "male tornadoes."

Just saying...
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:12 am Why bother ... for the second time?
(No need to quote your entire piece; I took notes).
I read your post after I posted. How can you be so insensitive? (tongue goes on the inside of the cheek,right?)
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Marriage is overrated unless it brings tax breaks or you are the poorer of the two entering the contract
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:03 pm Marriage is overrated unless it brings tax breaks or you are the poorer of the two entering the contract
But on the other side irs the jackpot for a certain demographic of lady.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:19 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:03 pm Marriage is overrated unless it brings tax breaks or you are the poorer of the two entering the contract
Or sometimes man - I know a guy who got substantial monthly alimony payments from his rich and powerful ex wife for several years as well as half their estate - and she had paid for most of that in the first place

But yeah, the goldigging woman stereotype didn't spring from nowhere
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:19 pm
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:12 am Why bother getting married in the first place? It's just a religious construct designed to exert control, via control of sex.

Sex must only occur in marriage (Corinthians 7:2–5) as sex leads to immorality, (according to the God Squad), so if you prohibit sex outside marriage you have an endless queue of people to sign up to marriage and therefore to the church. Those were the rules up to about 60 years ago, and everyone signed up.

Throw in elaborate costumes, man-made rituals, celebrity status for a day, a party afterwards and previous generations looking on you approvingly. It's almost irresistible. Back in the good old days the bride's father picked up the bill. Now you'll need a mortgage to pay for it all.

Once the fog clears and everyone has gone home, you are then at the mercy of the state endlessly imposing laws to govern your marital lives, all effective retrospectively, and lawyers feeding off the 30%+ failure rate.

Why get sucked into it in the first place, or in the case of the OP, for the second time?
Couldn't agree more with you Doc. Having been a soldier of fortune doing what society expected ie get married, have kids and a house with a white picket fence (does a pool count haha). Hence, I don't see much in it anymore and reluctant to commit again.

Having said that, if your partner/live-in is Khmer, there is still a lot of traditional pressure for marriage from my experience in Cambodia.

Examples. Mrs Cargo went to wedding recently for a relative in the province. 17 yr old girl! And some 'aunties' asked my GF Are you married yet? (I affectionately refer to her as Mrs Cargo on here but we aren't married). And if you're older and the answer is 'no' you're somehow seen as an outcast.

3 of Mrs Cargo's best friends. Girl 1 is 30 yrs old, no BF, original, not married. Parents apparently ask her nearly every day: When are you getting married? Girl 2 is 25 yrs old, same as girl 1 and the parents do the same. Girl 3 is about 27 yr old, originality unknown, not married. Has a barang BF who comes for for holiday in Cambodia. He's promised to marry and take her to his country as soon as the paper work comes through. All are unlikely to move in with a guy in a GF/BF live-in situation unless marriage is on the agenda.

Now I say all this coz here there is still incredible pressure on local girls to marry imo. More so if from the province. I think it's changing for the educated PP girls who are maybe more free spirited and don't listen too much to their parents. After all, they see so many girls marrying too young and then hubbie skipping off later. So I daresay barangs with GF's here have, in turn, pressure put on them for marriage also. Whilst many westerners are not keen on marriage, many Khmer partners I think still want that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic