Where can I get a prenup in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Re: Where can I get a prenup in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kohker »

Thing’s seem to be going swimmingly first they couldn’t communicate and now he wants a prenup.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:33 am
Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:57 am Without being able to answer your question, here is a legal drafting starting point for you based on New South Wales Australian law.

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/pren ... mN12tpBw2w

But I would raise the following observations.

1. In the event of a marital break down, in many jurisdictions a pre-nuptial agreement may be set aside unless the other party has received truly independent legal advice, and fully understands the provisions within the agreement, prior to signing such an agreement.

2. In the event of a marital breakdown, your estranged partner may have the legal capacity to challenged the prenuptial agreement in your country of citizenship or future residence if the family law provisions of either country were more beneficial to her and any offspring from the relationship.

Just matters to keep in mind.

OML
What sadistic bastard came up with that one?
100% sure its was a lawyer..
work is for people who cant find truffles
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

OP appears not to be the brightest button in the box if his recent posts about how the forum works are anything to go by.

This lady is going to eat him up and spit out the scraps.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Ops right not many have answered his question, including me, but if he's worried about losing an asset he owns before marriage, myself and others have given him and others who may be heading down the same path some answers eg prenup not needed.
Perhaps I shouldn't have contributed if not directly answering ops question and presumed he knows everything else. :BangHead:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

zmth wrote:and there is no such button at the bottom to post a new question.
zmth wrote:did u erase the answer or what ? this has got to be the world's most difficult website i have ever seen. NO way to ask a new question .NO way to find an answer etc etc. Moderator won't even answer when go to contact us
zmth wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 am
someonelses topic wrote: Appreciate any advice if you’ve got a prenup in Phnom Penh before.

Thank you.
Not a reply but another question since it is IMPOSSIBLE TO POST A new question i had to do it this way. Is it or is it not required for a usa person to have travel covid insurance or not as last year at some time there was a post on internet, not this website nor forum , titled Cambodia is no longer requiring travel insurance
Also if anyone knows how in the hell to post a new question please explain !
A couple of screen shots of buttons that have proven most popular for the tasks that surely you must have managed previously?

kambokiwi
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by kambokiwi »

Thanks to all those who gave some relevant answers. House is not in Cambodia as some suspected. My gf and I have talked about this and she’s happy to not go after my house and I’m happy with her having half the rest (obviously only in a worst case scenario). Both of us are happy and marrying for love so a prenup is just logical and not offensive. Prenups made with a level head are always better than trying to sort it out if you end up drifting apart.
kambokiwi
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by kambokiwi »

Kohker, man, you must have a really shit life if you actually think like your replies and aren’t just trolling. Learning english so you can assimilate into another country does not mean you can’t communicate and getting a prenup does not mean you don’t love someone. I think my gf and I are just way too smart and happy for your tiny brain to comprehend. Maybe go back to your sad lonely life and leave intelligent conversation to the big kids.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

kambokiwi wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:24 pm Thanks to all those who gave some relevant answers. House is not in Cambodia as some suspected. My gf and I have talked about this and she’s happy to not go after my house and I’m happy with her having half the rest (obviously only in a worst case scenario). Both of us are happy and marrying for love so a prenup is just logical and not offensive. Prenups made with a level head are always better than trying to sort it out if you end up drifting apart.
Pre-nups are not a new thing, and seem to be quite an acceptable safeguard elsewhere. Usually among the rich and noxious.
Would a pre-nup drawn up in Cambodia have any validity in NZ? I’ve no idea.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

kambokiwi
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by kambokiwi »

I want a prenup in both countries actually because neither would be valid in both. I think it’s fair if I keep any property in my country (which I already have) and she can keep any property we buy in Cambodia in the future (which we plan to do). We have absolutely no intention of ever getting a divorce but no harm in planning for the worst. No different than getting insurance really. You hope you never need it but it’s there if you ever do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic