Blood donation needed, Please help

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Blood donation needed, Please help

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Belated condolences Andy. Just read this following overnight plane travel. RIP Nak.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Nak

This I ponder! It’s not an easy task to do by any means, getting the correct words that are jumbled in the head, but also pull hard on the heart. Saying that it was my partner who mattered most to me and never that of myself, I was her support for the years of her terminal illness. Those last two words should say it all, knowing what the outcome is going to be, you can prepare over the years, but I suppose that we would like to think that there is always some hope.
Let’s also remember where we are, this is Cambodia the land of wonder. But don’t wonder too much, but face the hard realities of the people and of course the lack of medical care and the lack of knowledge. Coming from a first world country with free or private health care available, the former paid by the public’s national insurance contributions. Here the reality is that the basic care may possibly be out of context for many, if anyone is in need of treatment payments run hand in hand, doctors have a “so what” attitude.
government hospitals I have noticed follow the same procedure for the sick arriving at their emergency room, bare bed, oxygen and a drip, catheter and a standard bill of $75 per 12 hours stay, other treatments and medicine are charged with considerable inflated rates above the basic price, one week’s stay in the ICU ward soon escalated quickly to $2000. The doctors will administer intervenes drugs, but changing the drips, cleaning, feeding, and whatever care maybe needed for your loved one is solely down to oneself. Here I would add a big thank you to CEO members who donated to the cause, the money going to the 6 patients on the ICU ward, each received @$75.
In an emergency situation the government hospitals will be the first port of call for many Khmer, wealthy or poor will end up in the same accident room, let’s face it, it’s hopefully a lifesaving experience for the sick or injured. If this isn’t enough, the ones that are in need of treatment, being the one’s that can afford it may get a hospital bed, the ones that can’t will look for floor space in the already packed-out corridors. It would be an understatement to say that the hospitals are grim.
How do the poor or working class manage to find the monies to enable that their family member gets the treatment needed, insurance, savings, bank loans, selling assets. I don’t want to dwell on the hospital’s too much, due to my last visit with Nak, I should have known better with-it being holiday time, and they didn’t have the staff available to continue treatment for her, the outcome is we had to leave.
The family and the people of the village also were scared of catching the illness, so we had to leave the place where Nak had the feeling of some comfort. Even the monks would not come from the local Wat.
Again, I don’t want to dwell on the situation too much, if I rambled, I would soon be called a hater, and why am I here.
What I will say, and in the situation, I have mainly had to cope alone, I know of others who had been in very similar situations too myself.
What I will say is that I had been with Nak for seven years, she had been diagnosed with her illness over three years ago. Yesterday she passed away peacefully in her sleep. I will always remember her for what she was, that being an honest and caring person.
Today I had her cremated, she is surely at peace now, and not forgotten.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:04 pm Nak passed away at the apartment in Phnom Penh today.
Sad to hear that. RIP to Nak and a barrel of strength for you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Such a beautiful photo. Both of you so happy.
Lol. Looks like you are pregnant Andy, and Nak is checking you out. Good times. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic