Rentals

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Paddy fish
Tourist
Australia

Rentals

Post by Paddy fish »

Hello I'm hoping to come to Cambodia in July for 3 months to see if i would like to stay Long term, I'd like to rent a small apartment or studio around 300usa month is this feasible, I'm from Australia thanks
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rentals

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yes.
Don't go to an agent. They won't help much for a 3 month let.
Many places will want a longer let but there is so much for rent you will find somewhere.
Start with a guest house and look for the "for rent" notices.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Have you been here before? I am working on the assumption you have not.

$300 will definitely get you a small apartment in somewhere near plenty of amenities and nightlife in an expat area in Phnom Penh.

However, if you are just coming for 3 months your best bet will be a guest house or a hotel for the initial month so you can do some exploring, find areas you like and to get a feel for the place. Only then will you be able to start looking for an apartment without making daft mistakes.

Many cheaper end apartments will come with minimal furniture and kitchenware. If you plan to rent an apartment you'll be laying out quite a bit for new bedding (sheets, pillows etc, maybe even a mattress) plus kitchen items if you intend to do some of your own cooking such as a kettle, microwave, toaster etc. All these creature comforts start to add up.

If you intend to eat out all the time then a guest house (with breakfast included) becomes a more viable option for the longer term. It will be more expensive than an apartment (maybe $400 a month in total) but it will be fully inclusive of bills, no deposit or cleaning or nasty back alleyway entrances. Plus a guesthouse normally has a bar/restaurant and regulars and gives you an instant home/basecamp. As a newbie this is useful for getting a bit of local knowledge of where to go etc.

If you do jump straight into an apartment for a 3 month rental and then want to leave, you're creature comfort purchases will be lost and getting your deposit back will be easier said than done.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

If you are coming just for 3 months, then Airbnb is your best option. Especially if you are coming within next 6 months (low season). You should find small apartments that are already priced around $300-$400 range. With bit of negotiation you might get even extra discount as you are staying 3 months during low season. Positive with these apartments is that they all are fully furnished with kitchenware etc. included (but do inquiry about it to be sure). You only pay extra for utilities. And you see true reviews to make sure it's not a crappy apartment/building and you don't have to deal with deposits and all that stuff.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

What Doc said.

We’ve had 4 different apartments- 3 around Phsar Chas and Psar Kendal, and now over by Tuol Sangkae.
Rental has been between $230 and $250.

Electricity and water services is a funny issue- I’ve been pretty specific about paying actual cost, as billed by the supplier. This is not a standard situation. Some, you pay the supplier, some you pay the landlord, and some you pay the landlord at their hugely inflated fanciful rates. It’s something you’ll need to be clear about before taking the apartment. It’s easy to take a cheap apartment, and unexpectedly find that the services push the price up much higher than you’d expect.
Paid at cost, family of 5. $25~35. Ish

Factor in some other costs
Internet-$15 month, Smart at home

Where?
Riverside/Daun Penh/Phsar Chas/Psar Kendal- get about on foot easily, in easy reach of the more regular night life. $1/R5000 by TukTuk to get most places locally, 5-10minutes. But not everyone wants that area, and there’s so much more to consider.

Condition and maintenance
Access can be grim, at times. Communal hallways with inadequate lighting. Badly maintained is a standard.
It’s well worth having a good look, at several times of the day and week, and even then it’s possible to get caught out.

We outgrew one apartment after a year; were forced to move because of environment issues (noise and heat) at the next, after only a few months. Electrical issues and then safety concerns about the third apartment, after a year or so.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:42 am If you are coming just for 3 months, then Airbnb is your best option. Especially if you are coming within next 6 months (low season). You should find small apartments that are already priced around $300-$400 range. With bit of negotiation you might get even extra discount as you are staying 3 months during low season. Positive with these apartments is that they all are fully furnished with kitchenware etc. included (but do inquiry about it to be sure). You only pay extra for utilities. And you see true reviews to make sure it's not a crappy apartment/building and you don't have to deal with deposits and all that stuff.
I think you'd pay a bit more for places on airbnb. The cheapest ones are above his budget and they are usually only one room. Don't forget they also add on a chunk at the last stage for service, cleaning etc. After all airbnb are taking a hefty fee so the lessors have to take that into account.
I have never seen an apartment in PP that did not come with furnishings. If anything specific is required, they will often provide it.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:06 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:42 am If you are coming just for 3 months, then Airbnb is your best option. Especially if you are coming within next 6 months (low season). You should find small apartments that are already priced around $300-$400 range. With bit of negotiation you might get even extra discount as you are staying 3 months during low season. Positive with these apartments is that they all are fully furnished with kitchenware etc. included (but do inquiry about it to be sure). You only pay extra for utilities. And you see true reviews to make sure it's not a crappy apartment/building and you don't have to deal with deposits and all that stuff.
I think you'd pay a bit more for places on airbnb. The cheapest ones are above his budget and they are usually only one room. Don't forget they also add on a chunk at the last stage for service, cleaning etc. After all airbnb are taking a hefty fee so the lessors have to take that into account.
I have never seen an apartment in PP that did not come with furnishings. If anything specific is required, they will often provide it.
With a quick look, there are ~30 apartments available for month or longer rental that are under $400 / month included all fees (except maybe utilities). And like I said one can look bit more expensive ones to try and negotiate the price.

Few examples:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/47509197?a ... %2BtCpZpcX
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/39090010?a ... JSye6hHR8I

These are $50 or so over budget but OP said he wants to rent for 3 months. I'm sure host is willing to give that discount for long stay. In Phnom Penh host makes 70% of their annual income during high season. Low season occupancy is just plus for airbnb host so they are willing to discuss the price.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:14 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:06 am
With a quick look, there are ~30 apartments available for month or longer rental that are under $400 / month included all fees (except maybe utilities). And like I said one can look bit more expensive ones to try and negotiate the price.

Few examples:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/47509197?a ... %2BtCpZpcX
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/39090010?a ... JSye6hHR8I

These are $50 or so over budget but OP said he wants to rent for 3 months. I'm sure host is willing to give that discount for long stay. In Phnom Penh host makes 70% of their annual income during high season. Low season occupancy is just plus for airbnb host so they are willing to discuss the price.
Good finds! The first one is $357 in August instead of July and 28 nights instead of one month and in Russian Market area but still a good find.
The second one is also in Russian Market and 28 nights and costs $354.
Both places show good photos and have good reviews. I'm impressed.
Still don't like the idea of airbnb getting about $200 from the deal however (over 3 months).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic