That's a lot of weed!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: That's a lot of weed!!

Post by hanno »

Some more weed:

'Europe's biggest cannabis farm' in rural Spain worth over £83m raided by police'.

https://news.sky.com/story/europes-bigg ... e-12589937
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:07 am
Woody wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:49 am In all my years in Cambodia I have never seen it as bad
Bad? Why do you say it's bad?

It's a food crop. And, underneath is lots of little fishies full of protein.
Infestation and control in the Southeast
As the hyacinths multiply into mats, they eliminate the presence of fish, and choke waterways for boating and shipping.[49] This effect was well taking hold in the state of Louisiana by the turn of the 20th century.[34]

Turns out this stuff is not so great mate....
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Grand Barong wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:29 pm
Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:07 am
Woody wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:49 am In all my years in Cambodia I have never seen it as bad
Bad? Why do you say it's bad?

It's a food crop. And, underneath is lots of little fishies full of protein.
Infestation and control in the Southeast
As the hyacinths multiply into mats, they eliminate the presence of fish, and choke waterways for boating and shipping.[49] This effect was well taking hold in the state of Louisiana by the turn of the 20th century.[34]

Turns out this stuff is not so great mate....
I'm willing to bet you've never eaten any. It's quite common in some Cambodian dishes, but not in tourist restaurants. And yes, there are little fish and crabs, but carry on trolling.

Oh, and this ain't Louisiana. Wherever that is.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:07 am It's an invasive species that blocks sunlight, makes water stagnant and causes a lot of damage. It has few benefits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichhornia_crassipes
Interesting. From that wiki "Water hyacinth has also invaded the Tonlé Sap lake in Cambodia. An Osmose project in Cambodia is trying to fight it by having local people make baskets from it."

This is the organization Osmose running that basket-making project. https://osmosetonlesap.net/wp/index.php/en/home/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:48 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:07 am It's an invasive species that blocks sunlight, makes water stagnant and causes a lot of damage. It has few benefits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichhornia_crassipes
Interesting. From that wiki "Water hyacinth has also invaded the Tonlé Sap lake in Cambodia. An Osmose project in Cambodia is trying to fight it by having local people make baskets from it."

This is the organization Osmose running that basket-making project. https://osmosetonlesap.net/wp/index.php/en/home/
They started years ago and I used to buy stuff from them when I worked in a hotel in SR.

Water hyacinth is invasive and causes massive problems around the world. Yes, it is eaten in Vietnam and Cambodia but not all that much, and certainly not enough to control the spread.

Lake Victoria:

DLsea
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by DLsea »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:21 pm View across Tonle Sap river from Riverside (Sisowath quay in the foreground) yesterday..
Read an article today in Khmer Times about folks in Cambodia using the dry material for weaving. Also, as somebody else noted, the flowers are eaten in Cambodia. It's an invasive species of note (there are biological control agents that work on it). To me its presence (and explosion) is indicative of bad water quality. According to a few Khmer friends (who will not eat the flowers) the plant grows in the dirtiest/filthiest water.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

DLsea wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:20 pm According to a few Khmer friends (who will not eat the flowers) the plant grows in the dirtiest/filthiest water.
The plants themselves cause the water to stagnate.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:32 pm
DLsea wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:20 pm According to a few Khmer friends (who will not eat the flowers) the plant grows in the dirtiest/filthiest water.
The plants themselves cause the water to stagnate.
I wonder too whether fertilizer runoff also promotes these plants.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Saw this on another topic (credit to @SINUS )

Hyacinth Bassac

post542819.html#p542819
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:00 pm Saw this on another topic (credit to @SINUS )

Hyacinth Bassac

post542819.html#p542819
Try to stay on this topic. We want clean on this patch.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic