Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Do you support Russia or Ukraine in this conflict?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:32 pm

Russia
18%
Ukraine
73%
It's a hoax
3%
I don't know.
6%

Total votes: 79
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Post by Ghostwriter »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 am 116 Rubles is $1.37. That's a lot for a quarter of cabbage.
Indeed...
Inflation or bullshit article, what's your guess ?

After a quick check, a kilo of cabbage seems to cost around 52 rubles, so, i suppose the price rises as much as the currency decreases in value, even if the product isn't imported ?
I wouldn't be surprised that the shop just apply it's margin without absorbing any loss, seen that before...Maybe even increasing it in dire times ?
I'm not too sharp in currency economics, war economics, so, if anyone is...tell us your input.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:08 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 am 116 Rubles is $1.37. That's a lot for a quarter of cabbage.
Indeed...
Inflation or bullshit article, what's your guess ?

After a quick check, a kilo of cabbage seems to cost around 52 rubles, so, i suppose the price rises as much as the currency decreases in value, even if the product isn't imported ?
I'm not too sharp in currency economics, so, if anyone is...tell us your input.
Possibly scarcity rather than inflation which could lead to price gouging. That price might be for the whole cabbage on the shelves below?

Whilst the Ruble did halve in value to the USD, the currency has appreciated and now sits at about 90% of it's pre-invasion rate. So, when you hear the media telling you that the sanctions have "collapsed the Russian currency", it shows they are trying to BS you or they are too lazy to check for themselves. Maybe China and India bought a pile of them so they can buy some cheap oil.

nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The volume of trade in rubles is a small fraction of that present before the war, so the exchange rate is a little irrelevant.
If indeed they actually tie it to gold at a floating price it will be interesting to see if it is freely available for exchange.

I highly doubt it.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

For the moment i see more sense and coherence in the writer's production than in the politics fierces declarations, especially from my country in this presidential rat race of the moment.
Not a good timing for balanced and subtle input from them candidates.

Propaganda, propaganda everywhere...
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Russian warship: "Snake Island, I, Russian warship, repeat the offer: put down your arms and surrender, or you will be bombed. Have you understood me? Do you copy?"
Ukrainian 1: "That’s it, then. Or, do we need to fuck them back off?"
Ukrainian 2: "Might as well."
Ukrainian 1: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The great thing about this poll was how it got posted when the invasion seemed imminent but it was not at all clear where we were heading. We still have Putin supporters on the board but they don't seem to be able to argue their side very well. There is no possible justification for what has happened in the past month or so.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:17 pm The great thing about this poll was how it got posted when the invasion seemed imminent but it was not at all clear where we were heading. We still have Putin supporters on the board but they don't seem to be able to argue their side very well. There is no possible justification for what has happened in the past month or so.
There is, but you need a totally different view on the current situation than the one most Westerners have.
The view of a country which was attacked by Germany twice in the last century, made major sacrifices to turn the second World War (which they refer to as the BIG war) into a win, and after that victory claimed a buffer zone which was simply based on the areas they took over.
They lost all those buffer zones in the nineties, and despite promises (undocumented promises) a lot of the former buffer zone states entered NATO.
Add to that the root of Russia, Ukraine, wants to be part of that block and Putin will come to the rescue.
I'm no Putin defender, but when you look at history beyond a few years, and you look at the things Putin has said and done ever since he's been in power he's been pretty consistent and his current actions fit a pattern rather than being the behavior of a lunatic who lost it all.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:00 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:17 pm The great thing about this poll was how it got posted when the invasion seemed imminent but it was not at all clear where we were heading. We still have Putin supporters on the board but they don't seem to be able to argue their side very well. There is no possible justification for what has happened in the past month or so.
There is, but you need a totally different view on the current situation than the one most Westerners have.
The view of a country which was attacked by Germany twice in the last century, made major sacrifices to turn the second World War (which they refer to as the BIG war) into a win, and after that victory claimed a buffer zone which was simply based on the areas they took over.
They lost all those buffer zones in the nineties, and despite promises (undocumented promises) a lot of the former buffer zone states entered NATO.
Add to that the root of Russia, Ukraine, wants to be part of that block and Putin will come to the rescue.
I'm no Putin defender, but when you look at history beyond a few years, and you look at the things Putin has said and done ever since he's been in power he's been pretty consistent and his current actions fit a pattern rather than being the behavior of a lunatic who lost it all.
That may be a valid argument if that were his only reason he has claimed to invade Ukraine. He blames NATO, he claims the Ukrainians were committing genocide on Russians, he wants to denazify Ukraine, he claims Ukraine is not a sovereign country and was/is always part of Russia, etc. Sounds like he’s covering every angle to justify why he has chosen to do this now.

And the Kremlin is talking shit about reclaiming all the land that once belonged to them, including Alaska? Sounds like a group of lunatics to me.

All this has done is force Sweden and Finland to join NATO.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Good point. I see it as a challenge to the post-truth movement. Putin thinks, like many others today that he can just say his version is true on the Internet and it will be accepted by enough to end up being true in some kind of historical sense. Of course, the winners will always control history, but Grozny-style/scale war crimes are hard to hide, especially now that they are clearly a Putin trademark. It's difficult (for me at least) not to see him just as a fool ploughing forth into his own propaganda these days. Best of luck to him, I say, because he's gonna need it if he wants to control this information backlash - he's gonna need to control the whole world to erase the media shitstorm. And once the China card is jeopardised, he's dead in the water.

All-in-all, a dumbfuck moment for autocracies in the world right now, and that's the only aspect of it I'm enjoying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic