Medical Insurance

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Medical Insurance

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:14 pm AndyKK spent $2000 for a week in ICU that's not even half a years premiums combined for the both of them if buying heath insurance plus what about the excess you may need to pay, then there's the gamble the insurers may not even pay out.
I am certainly not a gambler, insurance is important for anyone. But it's irrelevant if the illness can't be treated, or even more so if they will even attempt to treat the sick person.
Most hospital's and clinic's will ask you first if you have health insurance. If you don't the hospital may even refuse you, this has happened to me and my partner on a number of occasions.
And what doc67 said above about the first $5000, it would have not been covered in ICU in our case.
But the other side of this is I think the establishment would drain you're insurance and then start on your hard cash
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:47 am
AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:59 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:01 pm By the way, I am still looking for a recommendation if anyone knows a low cost insurance plan for a Cambodian.
It's obvious, better to have then not have. I wish I had it for my partner, but it's mostly too late for people, has they become sick and then insurance would not mainly be available.
If you have a Khmer partner and family l would recommend you get insurance cover for them at the earliest point.
My last bill for my partner for the week in ICU department, government hospital cost myself a mere $2,000.
Yeah, I am thinking about a family member who is getting older. If they can have health insurance it will help protect against the shock of a sudden high cost health incident.

What I observed here, and probably many others have seen this, is when a family member has a health issue and then everyone drains their savings or other assets to help them. Or even worse, they feel kind of a dilemma on how much healthcare to provide their relative vs. saving their money or assets. And of course this creates emotional tension or conflict between family members.
What you have observed in most cases is unarguably correct. I also think you are looking out for someone who is possibly getting to a stage that may need health care.
Insurance at the stage you are talking about will be expensive I expect, and maybe worth the price of the yearly payment, or not.
There's other possible options maybe you could consider, such has none profit organizations, I found that the Mercy Medical Centre at Chber Ampov Phnom Penh, being a modern clean, well run by American doctors, this is a good advantage that you can at least converse with them without the language problems. It has to be noted that they only treat Cambodians and not Western people.
You quoted - everyone drains their savings or other assets to help them. And of course this creates emotional tension or conflict between family members.
I agree with you in most cases, I had witnessed this in the government hospital ICU ward. This you may consider the cheapest treatment and care, but even so it's enough to drain the families assets.
But, considering that you are thinking about helping, it will be your assets that will be drained before any other members of the family will dip into their assets, then the tensions possibly start.
It may be worth considering asking each family member to contribute towards the cost of insurance in the outset.
Sorry if I sound so negative, but in my case I have just cause.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 am I use Cigna in UK, however a company here I have been a customer of for 6 years for other things also handles expat heath insurance https://www.infinitysolutions.com/perso ... insurance/ The boss there is a really pleasant guy.
They are not the same company as Infinity Insurance.
the last time i was insured with Cigna in 2012-2014 it roughly cost 6000 US $ per year (company i was working for paid it). Was working 2 years in China for Italian company. Used it once and all cost (around 2000$) paid by insurance with no fuss.

There must be cheaper options sure.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

How is the Naga Clinic or the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital, if anyone know? I will have FEPBlue that I can use that will cover me in about 16 clinics/hospitals in Phnom Penh.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

truffledog wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:46 pm
Bluenose wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 am I use Cigna in UK, however a company here I have been a customer of for 6 years for other things also handles expat heath insurance https://www.infinitysolutions.com/perso ... insurance/ The boss there is a really pleasant guy.
the last time i was insured with Cigna in 2012-2014 it roughly cost 6000 US $ per year (company i was working for paid it). Was working 2 years in China for Italian company. Used it once and all cost (around 2000$) paid by insurance with no fuss.

That's just under 4 times my current price as someone in their late 50's. My excess is £5000 though (about USD 6700), I am basically insuring against an event that would be life-changing in the financial implications sense.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:28 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:46 pm

That's just under 4 times my current price as someone in their late 50's. My excess is £5000 though (about USD 6700), I am basically insuring against an event that would be life-changing in the financial implications sense.
The insurance fee depends a LOT on the excess agreed. If I remember correct my excess was about 200.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic