Jimmy Savile : A British horror story

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Jimmy Savile : A British horror story

Post by Alex »

I just watched it yesterday. Coming from a country that despises "eccentric" people, I guess you have to be British not to be creeped out by him at first glance.

Hopefully he's rotting in hell, which was the only thing he really feared.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Which country despises eccentric people and why ?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I repeat, Savile had one fan from Jim''ll Fix It who later in life was moved to send a message to Radio Ulster giving a counter view to all the haters. Gotta love British (and Irish) humour.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

When questioning how he got away with 'hiding in plain sight', I think it's important to remember what a humungous shift in attitudes towards child predators the world has undergone in the last generation or two.

While we quite rightly view it as probably the most abhorrent of all crimes today, it wasn't always that way. While it was never legal to rape children, there was a very strong culture throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s of 'looking the other way' and simply not getting involved when rumours and suspicions of child molestation surfaced. It's easy to look at Saville as an isolated case and drop your jaw in despair at how he was able to get away with it, but the truth is that many, many people were 'getting away with it' in those days. And I would imagine that most of those have still gone unpunished to this day.

Ask any child who was suffering abuse during those decades and almost all of them will tell you that they either didn't feel that they could tell anyone for fear of not being believed, or they did tell someone, and still they weren't believed. Or, as happened in many cases, were actually blamed as the perpetrator for 'leading the adult on'.

Clearly I'm not in any whatsoever defending Saville or anyone who could have blown the whistle but chose not to, but it is imperative, when questioning Saville's actions, to recognise that the world could not have been a more different place with regards to issues such as child exploitation at the time he was committing his barbaric crimes.

The only positive we can take from this whole saga is the very fact that we no longer live in that kind of culture anymore.
Last edited by xandreu on Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

xandreu wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:39 pm When questioning how he got away with 'hiding in plain sight', I think it's important to remember what a humungous shift in attitudes towards child predators the world has undergone in the last generation or two.

While we quite rightly view it as probably the most abhorrent of all crimes today, it wasn't always that way. While it was never legal to rape children, there was a very strong culture throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s of 'looking the other way' and simply not getting involved when rumours and suspicions of child molestation surfaced. It's easy to look at Saville as an isolated case and drop your jaw in despair at how he was able to get away with it, but the truth is that many, many people were 'getting away with it' in those days. And I would imagine that most of those have still gone unpunished to this day.

Ask any child who was suffering abuse during those decades and almost all of them will tell you that they either didn't feel that they could tell anyone for fear of not being believed, or they did tell someone, and still they still weren't believed. Or, as happened in many cases, were actually blamed as the perpetrator for 'leading the adult on'.

Clearly I'm not in any whatsoever defending Saville or anyone who could have blown the whistle but chose not to, but it is imperative, when questioning Saville's actions, to recognise that the world could not have been a more different place with regards to issues such as child exploitation at the time he was committing his barbaric crimes.

The only positive we can take from this whole saga is the very fact that we no longer live in that kind of culture anymore.

We had a teacher in the early 60s, Mr Hope known by all as bummer hope cos he used to pat boys bums. Both our scoutmasters were middle aged single men one of whom lived with his mum and looking back I recall he was very "camp" , Some boys would go to his house to paint and decorate in order to get one of those stupid badges. And of course we all knew about the "Vicar and quire boy"" jokes
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

atst wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:58 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:38 am People must have thought: 'it's inconceivable that a man who does all that charity work and good for the community could possibly do bad'. The great deception..
Yes and how often do we see this in charities, religion.
Very good point....Brings to mind Mr. Fletcher who helped the garbage dump children and many others involved with orphanage work over the years here...
Some businesses that continually remind the public of all their charitable work are also suspect in my books ....
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

xandreu wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:39 pm When questioning how he got away with 'hiding in plain sight', I think it's important to remember what a humungous shift in attitudes towards child predators the world has undergone in the last generation or two.

Ask any child who was suffering abuse during those decades and almost all of them will tell you that they either didn't feel that they could tell anyone for fear of not being believed, or they did tell someone, and still they still weren't believed. Or, as happened in many cases, were actually blamed as the perpetrator for 'leading the adult on'.

Sad to say you are absolutely right about the different (or should that be indifferent?) attitude to sexual abuse earlier. In the early 70’s there was a girl (she was 3 or 4 years older than me, I was maybe 9 at the time) in our neighborhood who had been groomed and raped by her uncle, it had gone on for several years, and eventually her family found out what had been going on because she’d fallen pregnant, which ended up in her having to give the baby up for adoption.
It was common knowledge, after the fact, that she’d had her uncle’s baby, and unbelievably, folk talked about her like she was some kind of young slut, as if it was her fault what had been done to her.
The poor lass was ridiculed by her peers for her few remaining school years, and she was never ‘quite right’ afterwards, I saw her about 5 years back, she’d never married or had more children, and she was basically a shambling alcoholic, and I don’t doubt the reason why, her being abused and her treatment by others afterwards.
People knew sexual abuse went on, and they talked about under their breath, but seemed to just accept it as ‘one of those things’. We were even warned to avoid certain men because of their reputation for being ‘dodgy’ with kids.
Thankfully things are way different today (though sadly sexual abuse still happens) and abuse is taken seriously (though not dealt with seriously enough in my book) and the victims are treated far better than earlier.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:27 pm I repeat, Savile had one fan from Jim''ll Fix It who later in life was moved to send a message to Radio Ulster giving a counter view to all the haters. Gotta love British (and Irish) humour.
For those who can't be bothered listening, here it is:

BBC Radio Ulster presenter unwittingly repeats a Jimmy Savile joke sent in via text live on air - followed by an apology.
Spoiler:
"I wish everyone would stop criticising Jimmy Savile, he was a nice man, when I was 8 he fixed it for me to milk a cow blindfolded."

:tard: :tard: :tard:
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Lots of things happened then that would not be accepted today.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Didn't help him being Catholic lol

With his famous celeb status, he got such a big head on his shoulders that he became so cocky and brazen.. He probably thought he was untouchable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic